• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ryu number: Street Fighter X Kevin Bacon

Street Fighter's cover boy Ryu has fought upwards of 600 characters depending on how you count, and the discussion led me to a thought that might be better investigated in a thread of its own. (I may not know my fighting game rosters that well, but NeoGAF collectively does.)

Like the Erdős number in mathematics and academic publishing, or the Bacon number for co-star credits in screen acting, let's assign Ryu himself a Ryu number of 0. Everyone that Ryu has fought (i.e. directly shared a roster with in a fighting game) receives a number of 1; everyone who has fought those characters in turn are assigned a number of 2, and so on down the chain.

Not every video game character has a Ryu number, but a staggering proportion of them do, and some of their network distances may be lower than you might expect.

Examples:

- Via Pikachu/Lucario/Charizard in SSB4, the entire cast of Pokkén has a Ryu number of at most 2.
- Via Viewtiful Joe in MvC3, the entire cast of Red Hot Rumble (including many of VJ's bosses) also has Ryu number of at most 2.
- Spawn's Ryu number is 3. While Heihachi (1, Street Fighter X Tekken) and Link (1, SSB4) both appeared in Soulcalibur II, they were exclusive to different versions and therefore never directly shared a roster with Spawn, necessitating an additional connection via the Soulcalibur cast.
- Batman's Ryu number is at most 4: Ryu (MvC3) – Dante (PSASBR) – Kratos (MK 2011, PS3) – Scorpion (Injustice) – Batman.
- Luke Skywalker's Ryu number is at most 4: Ryu (SSB4) – Link (Soulcalibur II, GCN) – Nightmare (Soulcalibur IV) – Darth Vader (Masters of Teräs Käsi) – Luke.

Here I am only counting playable roster characters in fighting games: obviously, the collaboration network expands dramatically if you include assists or other all-star extravaganzas like kart racers, Musou spin-offs, or tactics crossovers. (If you do expand your reach to other kinds of guest appearances, however, you get a path to Killer Instinct via Kratos, Shovel Knight, and Battletoads.) I don't find it quite as interesting to count everything, but you wind up with coverage of nearly the whole industry if you do.

Just as interesting to ponder: the range of major franchises, IPs, and characters not connected to Ryu, whether or not you only count roster appearances in fighting games. With that restriction, I don't know if there is an alternate path to Killer Instinct; without that restriction, and opening the door to all kinds of crossover appearances, there still doesn't seem to be a way to get to anyone from Blizzard, for one. But the selection of fighting games wholly disconnected from Ryu is probably small. If a character has appeared in a fighting game, chances are they have a Ryu number, and I'd love to see what obscure or surprising finds we can uncover.

For bonus points, search for the lowest Ryu–Bacon number, a property of film portrayals of characters with Ryu numbers by actors with a finite collaboration distance from Kevin Bacon. Examples:

- Guile (Ryu number of 1, of course) was portrayed by Jean-Claude Van Damme (Bacon number of 2, via appearing in Timecop with Bruce McGill, who appeared in Animal House with Kevin Bacon). Guile and Van Damme therefore have a Ryu–Bacon number of at most 3.
- Wesker (Ryu number of 1, MvC3) was portrayed by Jason O'Mara in Resident Evil: Extinction. If you count direct-to-video, O'Mara's Bacon number is 2, via starring in Son of Batman with Xander Berkeley, who appears with Kevin Bacon in A Few Good Men. Wesker and O'Mara therefore have a Ryu–Bacon number of at most 3. (Interestingly, even if you don't count the direct-to-video Son of Batman, the character Wesker has a Ryu–Bacon number of at most 3: he was portrayed in Resident Evil: Afterlife by Shawn Roberts, who also has a Bacon number of 2 via appearing in Skinwalkers with Rhona Mitra, who appeared in Hollow Man with Kevin Bacon.)
- Mark Hamill has portrayed two characters in feature films with Ryu numbers of at most 4 (Luke Skywalker, via the path to Teräs Käsi described above, and Joker, via the path to Injustice shown above with Batman). Hamill has a Bacon number of 2, via appearing in Slipstream with Bill Paxton, who appeared in Apollo 13 with Kevin Bacon. Luke, Joker, and Hamill therefore have a Ryu–Bacon number of at most 6.

I note with profound regret that Padmé Amidala has not appeared in a Star Wars fighting game, or Natalie Portman would lay claim to the ultimate rarity, the nontrivial Ryu–Bacon–Erdős number.

StMeph

Mario.

Ryu (1) - Super Smash Bros. 4 + Bob Hoskins (as Mario, Super Mario Bros.) with Kevin Bacon in Balto (1995)

A quick follow-up to the Ryu–Bacon number, as I missed the obvious: Ryu himself was portrayed by Byron Mann in the 1994 live-action Street Fighter, and Mann's Bacon number (via Blonde and Blonder with Denise Richards, who appeared with Bacon in Wild Things) is 2; Ryu's own Ryu–Bacon number is therefore 2.

StMeph

Also Spider-Man.

Marvel vs. Capcom + Tobey Maguire (Spider-Man) with Kevin Bacon in Beyond All Boundaries (2009).

EDIT: I guess you can get to Blizzard characters. https://www.mariowiki.com/Erik,_Baleog_and_Olaf

I thought of the Vikings as well (especially as I mainly play TLV in Heroes of the Storm), but unfortunately, a comic in Nintendo's German magazine isn't quite the same thing as an in-game appearance. If we get them as an assist trophy in SSB someday, though, the floodgates will open—at least for the loose, non-fighting-game-roster definition.

Shovel Knight's Ryu number is 4:

Ryu fought Heihachi in TxSF > Heihachi fought Kratos in PASBR > Shovel Knight can fight Kratos in the PS4 version of Shovel Knight

The entire cast of Killer Instinct 2015's Ryu number is 6, exception is Rash at 5:

Ryu fought Heihachi in TxSF > Heihachi fought Kratos in PASBR > Kratos is a special boss in the PS4 version of Shovel Knight > Battletoads are a special boss on the Xbox One version of Shovel Knight > Rash of the Battletoads is a character in Killer Instinct 2015.

Rayman's Ryu number will be 3 once Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle comes out lol

Prove me wrong.

BooJoh

I see two possible (non-fighting) entrypoints for Blizzard. One is Peggle WoW Edition and the other is the Singing Sunflower small pet in WoW which I believe is from Plants vs. Zombies? I'm pretty sure these are both official crossovers and not simply references.

Rq7GML4.gif

This thread is amazing. This is my favourite part:
For bonus points, search for the lowest Ryu–Bacon number, a property of film portrayals of characters with Ryu numbers by actors with a finite collaboration distance from Kevin Bacon.
OMG
I note with profound regret that Padmé Amidala has not appeared in a Star Wars fighting game, or Natalie Portman would lay claim to the ultimate rarity, the nontrivial Ryu–Bacon–Erdős number.

BooJoh

I see two possible (non-fighting) entrypoints for Blizzard. One is Peggle WoW Edition and the other is the Singing Sunflower small pet in WoW which I believe is from Plants vs. Zombies? I'm pretty sure these are both official crossovers and not simply references.

To expand upon this:

Peggle WoW Edition features Bjorn the Unicorn (Peggle's mascot) as well as Arthas, Illidan, Ragnaros, and other WoW characters (featured as backgrounds, not playable characters. This is the weak point in this entrypoint.)

From there Bjorn also appears in Peggle Extreme alongside GLaDOS, Heavy, Pyro, and Soldier, which should break you out into Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, Poker Night 2, etc.

On the other hand, the Singing Sunflower in WoW is "playable" in the Pokemon sense, and is a mascot from Plants vs. Zombies. I'm unfamiliar with the series so I'm not sure if that leads to other games via Garden Warfare or any other game cameos.

mclem

If you stretch things beyond straight fighting games, she also played Jane Foster in the Thor films, who appeared in Marvel: Future Fight with a bunch of other Marvel characters. It's entirely possible she will appear - more appropriately - in a future MvC fighter.

(Although if you stretch things beyond straight fighting games, hello Lego!)

Edit: Wait! Marvel: Contest of Champions is a straight official fighting game and already has her in it! That would give her a Ryu number of 2, and fill in the gap.

Vyse24

Optimus Prime: 3

Ryu fought Mario in SSB4 who fought Solid Snake in SSBB who fought Optimus Prime in DreamMix TV World Fighters.

That how this works?

If you stretch things beyond straight fighting games, she also played Jane Foster in the Thor films, who appeared in Marvel: Future Fight with a bunch of other Marvel characters. It's entirely possible she will appear - more appropriately - in a future MvC fighter.

(Although if you stretch things beyond straight fighting games, hello Lego!)

Edit: Wait! Marvel: Contest of Champions is a straight official fighting game and already has her in it! That would give her a Ryu number of 2, and fill in the gap.

So given that Portman's Erdős–Bacon number is 7, and her Ryu number is what, 2 (can fight any Marvel character in Contest of Champions, many of those characters having already fought Ryu), that would make her Erdős–Bacon-Ryu number at most 9, right?

This is blowing my mind.

mclem

Sorry, I don't understand the Erdos number in connection tot he bacon number, can you clarify?

The Erdos Number actually came first, although the Bacon Number is more well-known

Paul Erdos is a mathematician, who was extremely prolific - collaborated on more mathematical papers than anyone else in history. A later mathematician wrote an article, And What Is Your Erdos Number, where he described the concept (it may well have preceded the article); the premise being that if you collaborated with Paul Erdos on a paper, you have an Erdos Number of 1, if you collaborated with someone who collaborated with Paul Erdos, your number is 2, and so on.

An Erdos-Bacon number is simply your Erdos number added to your Bacon number. One good example is Danica McKellar from The Wonder Years, later a prolific writer on mathematics; she coauthored a paper as an undergraduate with her professor, and as such has an Erdos Number of 4. She's 2 degrees away from Kevin Bacon (via Sarah Michelle Gellar), so has a Bacon Number of 2 - so her Erdos-Bacon Number is 6.

XKCD, of course, has their priorities straight.

Edit: On the subject of Danica McKellar, she's actually voiced a few Marvel characters in games, but not any fighters - Jubilee in X-Men Legends, and Invisible Woman in the Ultimate Alliance titles.

mclem

Is there an anime number too, particularly with VA?

On the more general scope of VA, I wouldn't be too surprised if a North Number was a viable concept.

Edit: Actually, that's a bit too modern. Maybe we'd want a Welker Number? He's been very prolific.

If you don't count just fighting games, Ryu connects to a lot of things. I believe there's a mobile game that has Thu in it as well as Godzilla and Lupin III.

There's also that SF browser mouse game that had Cyborg 009, who links to a lot of stuff due to an old PSP crossover fighter.

I used to make a chart to keep track of crossovers, but I basically gave up at Project X Zone which connected so much that it became impossible to show in a 2D diagram

Edit: damn, the imagehost removed it. Need to rehost.

Indie games started building a web of their own a few years back, Commander Video, Meat Boy, Isaac, IWTBTB Kid, Spelunky Man etc. all appearing in various other games IIRC. I wonder if Ryu cracks into that set.

Indie games started building a web of their own a few years back, Commander Video, Meat Boy, Isaac, IWTBTB Kid, Spelunky Man etc. all appearing in various other games IIRC. I wonder if Ryu cracks into that set.

Indies crossover with Half-Life through a headcrab in Super Meat Boy, iirc. Half-Life doesn't crossover with any other major titles that I know of, though. Theoretically, HL is in the same universe as Portal which now crosses with Sonic (and thus everything) through Lego Dimensions, but there are no shared characters.

mclem

Indies crossover with Half-Life through a headcrab in Super Meat Boy, iirc. Half-Life doesn't crossover with any other major titles that I know of, though. Theoretically, HL is in the same universe as Portal which now crosses with Sonic (and thus everything) through Lego Dimensions, but there are no shared characters.

This is arguably getting more into Tommy Westphall Universe context rather than Erdos Number context.

The whole thing works rather better with actors who are playing different roles to repeating characters who are ostensibly the same character.

If we count external media then Ryu actually has a 3 with Batman. Ryu->Thor(MvC3)->Superman(DC vs. Marvel)->Batman(Injustice). Also through the Dante/Kratos/Scorpion link Ryu has fought Freddy Krueger and.Jason Vorhees.

Sigourney Weaver has a Ryu number of 4, considering Scorpion has fought the Alien.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
imma connect Ryu to my favorite Digimon, Shoutmon!

Ryu is currently voiced by Hiroki Takahashi
Hiroki Takahashi also voiced Belzebumon in Tamers
Belzebumon is also a character in Xros Wars
Xros Wars stars Shoutmon

I used to make a chart to keep track of crossovers, but I basically gave up at Project X Zone which connected so much that it became impossible to show in a 2D diagram

Edit: damn, the imagehost removed it. Need to rehost.

PxZ and Namco X Capcom pretty much connected Ryu to many super robot wars.

On the more general scope of VA, I wouldn't be too surprised if a North Number was a viable concept.

Edit: Actually, that's a bit too modern. Maybe we'd want a Welker Number? He's been very prolific.
I was more on the Japanese VA, like maybe the likes of Sugita or Horie.

Pac-Man has a Ryu number of 1. Marty Ingels played Pac-Man in the Hanna-Barbara animated series and has a Bacon number of 2 (source).

So if voice acting is fair game, Pac-Man's Ryu-Bacon number is at most 3.

Man, you can go Ryu -> Sonic via Smash -> Gilius Thunderhead via Sonic Racing Transformed -> Darksol via Shining in the Darkness -> Jogurt the Yogurt via Shining Force

Qg2VHAp.png

mclem

Pac-Man has a Ryu number of 1. Marty Ingels played Pac-Man in the Hanna-Barbara animated series and has a Bacon number of 2 (source).

So if voice acting is fair game, Pac-Man's Ryu-Bacon number is at most 3.

I think the Ryu-Bacon number is probably better considered in the context of the actor, but YMMV on that.

Captain Lou Albano and John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper - and even Samantha Mathis - also have 3's. I'm sure there's gotta be a 2 via SSB, though.

Best thread of 2017

As far as I'm concerned this has the potential to be the best thread in GAF history. Keep 'em coming!

Optimus Prime: 3

Ryu fought Mario in SSB4 who fought Solid Snake in SSBB who fought Optimus Prime in DreamMix TV World Fighters.

That how this works?

That's exactly how it works and as a TF fan myself, thank you so much for this specific contribution!

More like two.

Sonic (Smash 4) -> Batman (Lego Dimensions)

Holy crap, Lego Dimensions is going to be a goldmine for this.

Edit: We need to define some rules though. What characters are fair game? I mean, it seems accepted that fictional characters that are not originally from videogames are fair game, but does that extend to, say, mythology and gods?

Edit: We need to define some rules though. What characters are fair game? I mean, it seems accepted that fictional characters that are not originally from videogames are fair game, but does that extend to, say, mythology and gods?

By that logic Ryu is like 2 or 3 steps from every deity ever. Ryu->Thor(MvC3)->Fucking everyone (Smite).

Edit: Which means he's only 3 steps removed from Xena: Warrior Princess via Kevin Sorbo Hercules in Smite.

Loona

Every Final Fantasy character in Dissidia has a Ryu number of 2 due to Cloud being in Sm4ash - but how do you count the Final Fantasy extended meta-franchise, considering people involved in The Spirits Within must have their own Bacon numbers?

Also, Super Robot Wars' presence in Project X Zone might also open some Bacon numbers through voice actors who dubbed any series with a SRW presence.

That being said, while Ryu has a big crossover career, I can't shake the feeling the Namco is the Grand Video Game Crossover connector, considering their ties to SRW, PXZ, and stuff that hasn't involved Capcom, like Queen's Gate Spiral Chaos, which covers characters from Tekken, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear and Blazblue, in the very least. Heihachi alone has a huge number of ties.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ryu fought Mario (Super Smash Bros. 4) who are crossing over with the Rabbids (Kingdom Battle) who previously fought the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT: Smash-Up) who in the original comic are implied to be the result of the same action that took Matt Murdock's sight who was played by Ben Affleck (Daredevil) who, in 1998, attended a Camp David screening of Good Will Hunting alongside the 42nd President of the United States, Bill Clinton, whose wife Hillary Clinton in 2016 went up against Republican nominee, and current POTUS, Donald Trump.

By that logic Ryu is like 2 or 3 steps from every deity ever. Ryu->Thor(MvC3)->Fucking everyone (Smite).

Edit: Which means he's only 3 steps removed from Xena: Warrior Princess via Kevin Sorbo Hercules in Smite.

If you consider Marvel Asgardians and Norse Gods to be the same characters, then sure, but an argument can be made that the former are just advanced aliens that inspired the legends about the latter and are not literally the same gods. It's always been a point of discussion.

In particular, thinking about deities came from seeing if Lara Croft, another videogame icon, connected to everyone else; she seems to have appeared in no crossover games. There are Raziel and Kain skins for one of the isometric Tomb Raider games, but I'm not sure if those count.

J-Tier

Man...

Akira and Selvaria in Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax probably connect a shitton of anime characters to Ryu.

Akira and Co in Dead or Alive connects Ryu to that.

Dreammix TV connects him to Bloody Roar

Now trying to figure out how to connect him to Divekick, which would connect him to Johnny Gat from Saints Row and Nidhogg

Every Final Fantasy character in Dissidia has a Ryu number of 2 due to Cloud being in Sm4ash - but how do you count the Final Fantasy extended meta-franchise, considering people involved in The Spirits Within must have their own Bacon numbers?

I don't think Spirits Within characters have appeared in any videogame, right? For FF games themselves there are lots of interconnection points, from Dissidia games to mobile gacha games.

By the way, gacha games in general have lots of collaboration events so many of them would also provide a lot of connectivity betwee franchises.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
If you consider Marvel Asgardians and Norse Gods to be the same characters, then sure, but an argument can be made that the former are just advanced aliens that inspired the legends about the latter and are not literally the same gods. It's always been a point of discussion.

In particular, thinking about deities came from seeing if Lara Croft, another videogame icon, connected to everyone else; she seems to have appeared in no crossover games. There are Raziel and Kain skins for one of the isometric Tomb Raider games, but I'm not sure if those count.

That absolutely counts. Which means that Hitman is twice removed from Lara Croft, since they have a Kane and Lynch skin. Also didn't Lara receive the 'hammer of Thor' in one of the games?

That absolutely counts. Which means that Hitman is twice removed from Lara Croft, since they have a Kane and Lynch skin. Also didn't Lara receive the 'hammer of Thor' in one of the games?

She also has comic book crossovers with The Darkness, The Angelus, and Witchblade as well.

Top Bottom