• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ancel: Beyond Good & Evil 2 not unveiling at E3, but hoping to unveil this year

Shiggy

Since everyone is holding out for the game, and with Ancel's teasing earlier this year, I guess this warrants a new thread as there are no other recent BG&E2 threads to post an update in.

DArt8coXcAMO7qD.jpg

When asked on Instagram whether BG&E2 would make a showing at E3, Ancel replied:
"Mhhh , not sure that E3 would be the best place to showcase Bg&e2 but we ´re working on the game so sometime this year , you should hear about it !"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUeSDnlgcWj/?taken-by=michelancel&hl

At least he seems confident that they will show the game later this year. Perhaps Gamescom? Paris Games Week? PSX 2017?

Thanks to www.bgemyth.net

Holy shit, lol. Just cancel it already because it's clearly vapourware at this point. Vivendi will only do the same thing in a few months once they've taken over anyway and pushed Guillemot out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
hope he is pulling a prank

It's not a relevant title to the vast majority of the gaming market and would be pretty overshadowed by the rest of Ubisoft's line-up.

It makes more sense to show it at a quieter show like GamesCom, PAX, Paris Games Week, The Keighleys, PlayStation Experience, etc, or just announce it on a random quiet day.

FelipeMGM

It's not a relevant title to the vast majority of the gaming market and would be pretty overshadowed by the rest of Ubisoft's line-up.

I know, not even sure why Ubi greenlit this thing with their new current stance on development and publishing

I just really want this game to be a thing

It makes more sense to show it at a quieter show like GamesCom, PAX, Paris Games Week, The Keighleys, PlayStation Experience, etc, or just announce it on a random quiet day.
Wasn't there a rumor that it is timed exclusive to Nintendo though? Or do you think it will be multiplat at launch?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wasn't there a rumor that it is timed exclusive to Nintendo though? Or do you think it will be multiplat at launch?

There was, but it was from one of those sources that got maybe 50% of things sort of right, so, I wouldn't hold my breath on that front.

Similarly, Ubisoft has talked about they have one unannounced Switch game, and that's obviously the Rabbids title.

EDarkness

So they announce it on a Nintendo Direct... because it may be a Switch exclusive :)

If LKD is right, then that could happen. My guess is it would be at a point when they'll be talking about games for 2018 and beyond. Makes sense that Ubisoft and Nintendo would want to hold off until then, especially if they have more stuff coming in the more immediate future.

I find it weird that this game announcement that has a lot of people waiting on the edge of their seats is just kind of being talked about every now and then by one single person (Ancel).

I mean, take all the time you want, but I think the way this game is being treated is very odd.

Really hoping we get more WiLD news at E3, and a BG&E reveal at one of the European conferences.

Yeah.

At least he finally seems somewhat confident it'll be shown this year.

I wonder if Sony will bring back a European conference again after taking last year off if WiLD and Detroit and anything else is ready to show again. Not that they weren't still at Gamescom etc anyway of course.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There was, but it was from one of those sources that got maybe 50% of things sort of right, so, I wouldn't hold my breath on that front.

That and the rumour has fundamentally changed no less than twice:

Originally: In production, Switch exclusive, 2017
Then: In pre-production, Switch exclusive, 2018, teaser during the Switch reveal (after Ancel announced that Ubi had greenlit the project)
Now: Temporary Switch exclusive and maybe a teaser during the Switch media event (after the Switch reveal)

Needless to say, there was no BG&E2 at the media event, and now it's also going to be a no-show at E3. I place zero stock in the rumour myself; the lack of consistency and conspicuous timing of the updates is a huge red flag. Either Dale has been telling porkies in hope of landing a big credibility boost (the rumour is hers to own as nobody has corroborated it) or her source in this case is awful.

Fully expecting this game to be real and awesome, and as soon as it's unveiled Vivendi will swoop in and crush it because this is the world we live in today.

yurinka

Obviously E3 would be a good place to show it. But considering it's a game made by him, it may be in E3 2097. So patience.

I don't mind it being a temporary Switch exclusive. Buying a Switch anyway later this year or next year.

Really want to see what they are going for with this game. Open world or more like the first one?

Then: In pre-production, Switch exclusive, 2018, teaser during the Switch reveal (after Ancel announced that Ubi had greenlit the project)
Now: Temporary Switch exclusive and maybe a teaser during the Switch media event (after the Switch reveal)

Needless to say, there was no BG&E2 at the media event, and now it's also going to be a no-show at E3. I place zero stock in the rumour myself; the lack of consistency and conspicuous timing of the updates is a huge red flag. Either Dale has been telling porkies in hope of landing a big credibility boost (the rumour is hers to own as nobody has corroborated it) or her source in this case is awful.

I don't remember it ever being claimed to be a 2017 game. I thought it was always rumored to be 2018 at the earliest.

Similarly, Ubisoft has talked about they have one unannounced Switch game, and that's obviously the Rabbids title.

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks.

Fully expecting this game to be real and awesome, and as soon as it's unveiled Vivendi will swoop in and crush it because this is the world we live in today.

Yup, this will be one of the first things on the chopping block once Vivendi assumes control.

A sequel to a cult classic with poor sales and little annualization potential? CANCELED.

basefree

Welp, some news is better than no news. Honestly though, it feels like this will always be the game they just work on in the background whilst lots more "important" stuff is going on at the forefront.

Shiggy

Ah I forgot the rumor existed before LKD talked about it. Or was LKD the reporter at Destructoid who wrote that/heard that rumor?

It was her. Doesn't automatically mean it's wrong as things change during development. Perhaps there were discussions about Nintendo funding the game that fell through. It obviously didn't pan out.

Byvar

It's cool that we'll hear more about it this year, but this also means I have nothing to look forward to in Ubi's conference. BG&E, Rayman, Prince of Persia and Child of Light are their only franchises I care about, and I seriously doubt any of them will make a surprise appearance, so UbiE3 is looking to be pretty boring again.

I also do not believe the Switch rumor at all with Ancel's previous denial that they are developing it for Switch and with his previous comments that a multi-planet game with this kind of scope wasn't possible on last generation.

EDarkness

Game development is fluid and anything can change the direction at any time. I'm sure Nintendo wanted to release Zelda Breath of the Wild on time, but that didn't happen. In this case, it may still end up being an NS exclusive as they work out the details. Maybe it won't. Not showing up at the event in January doesn't mean anything either since (I don't think) it was guaranteed to be there in the first place.

That said, I'm not saying she's wrong or right, but I do think it was crazy that Ancel started talking about the game, teasing and the like, around the time this rumor started. There's something there, but we don't know what that is.

JaseC

It was her. Doesn't automatically mean it's wrong as things change during development. Perhaps there were discussions about Nintendo funding the game that fell through. It obviously didn't pan out.
Game development is fluid and anything can change the direction at any time.

Sure, but in addition to what I've already said, the rumour that was it in active development and pencilled in for 2017 came several months before Ubi had even greenlit the project.

That said, I'm not saying she's wrong or right, but I do think it was crazy that Ancel started talking about the game, teasing and the like, around the time this rumor started. There's something there, but we don't know what that is.

I sincerely doubt she forced Ubi's hand. The rumour surfaced in March; Ancel teased the game half a year later.

Shiggy

Sure, but in addition to what I've already said, the rumour that was it in active development and pencilled in for 2017 came several months before Ubi had even greenlit the project.

I sincerely doubt she forced Ubi's hand. The rumour surfaced in March; Ancel teased the game half a year later.

Well, I don't believe the rumour either. On Ubisoft stuff, she got Rabbids Battle Kingdom right, but Assassin's Creed for Switch and much about BG&E2 wrong.

JaseC

Well, I don't believe the rumour either. On Ubisoft stuff, she got Rabbids Battle Kingdom right, but Assassin's Creed for Switch and much about BG&E2 wrong.

I think the Mario + Rabbids game is the only rumour she's been on point with thus far with regard to software, though, to be fair, she did say some things may not surface until E3.

Edit: From her bingo card:
- Rabbids RPG Grant Kirkhope composer
HakLlIm.png

- Rabbids Mario RPG
HakLlIm.png

- Mother 3 Q2 2017
jbXCfI0.png

- Beyond Good & Evil 2 [Switch] teaser
jbXCfI0.png

- Zelda misses launch in some EU languages
jbXCfI0.png

- Splatoon pack-in
jbXCfI0.png

- Monolith making new game + Xenoblade port external
HakLlIm.png
+
jbXCfI0.png

- Retro not making Metroid or DK
jbXCfI0.png
(Note: Retro's new game wasn't announced)
- Dark Souls 3 port
jbXCfI0.png

- Zelda at launch NA and Japan
HakLlIm.png

- Rayman Origins port
jbXCfI0.png

Edit edit: Updated.

Byvar

Michel Ancel was talking about it long before the rumor started (links in French):
February 2016: "Michel Ancel talks about BG&E2 in Double Fine's Devs Play"
November 2015: "Yves Guillemot reconfirms BG&E2"
November 2015: "Michel Ancel teases BG&E2 in Rayman livestream"
September 2015: "Michel Ancel: News about my big Ubisoft project soon"
Before that, there was a false rumor about it being playtested too, and one about Michel Ancel leaving the project. Both were probably based on the fact that Ancel mentioned (back in 2014) that BG&E2 had a troubled development, with some tech not being ready yet, and that was why he was taking "vacation" working on Rayman. The Switch rumor is based on that too, most likely - and the fact that the timing of this info coincided with the first rumors of the NX.

EDarkness

Well, if people are working on it behind the scenes in order to pitch it to the higher ups, then it could be considered "active" development. When the higher ups greenlit it we started seeing art and the like, so there was stuff going on behind the scenes. Maybe they finally found a plan that they figured worked for the overall project and started to put real money behind it.

Releasing in December 2017 is still 2017, and maybe at that time they figured they could make late 2017, but later figured it wasn't going to happen...or the budget or the scope changed. Either way, we have no idea what was going on behind closed doors, but if you've been following development of just about any game, you'll know that release dates are set well in advance with lofty goals of releasing at some target time it has no chance of hitting. Just look at Red Dead 2 as a more recent example.

I don't think we can say whether she's right or wrong at this point because the game itself hasn't been officially announced.

Top Bottom