• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hori releasing their own Switch Pro Controller and Fightstick this July

UPDATE (10/06/17): Available to order on Amazon.com, scheduled for July 31.

Hori Pad - 29.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAUATSM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hayabusa - 149.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4P40LG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ORIGINAL OP:

Both of these were announced earlier, but now they finally have a release timing - both will be released in July. Courtesy of Hori's twitter.

Hori Pad:
DAqOvhaXUAA4gFY.jpg

Wired nature makes it good for fighting games, and this also works as a cheaper alternative to the Switch Pro Controller. Only 3218 yen. It's missing the Pro controller's gyro, HD Rumble, and NFC support, and is wired-only, but if that's not a dealbreaker then this is a good substitute.

The D-Pad can be detached and stored on the back, allowing you to press four buttons like the Joycons have.

Real Arcade Pro Hayabusa:

It's an arcade fightstick! Costs 16,178 yen. Good for the Neo Geo eShop games and Ultra Street Fighter II. It's USB, so it plugs into the dock and can also be used in PCs with Xinput.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This will be good for next years Ultra Super Street Fighter 2 Ultimate Edition (only $50!) Switch release.

angelic

Banned
How about re-releasing their switch case so the machine doesnt bounce around inside it.

Doesnt inspire confidence in the new products.

7roject28

Oooh, I want that fight stick. Wonder if it's wireless. Probably not. That d-pad is pretty slick how you can change out to buttons or the cross but it looks kinda uncomfortable.

True Fire

I don't want a cheaper Pro controller, I want a premium controller like the ones for XB1.

The fact that joycons split into two controllers takes care of the "little brother" factor. We don't really need a Mad Catz type of crap controller.

Cepheus

That fightstick looks nice. Though I'll stick to the official Nintendo Pro controller. The rumble and gyro are awesome, especially for games like Zelda.

And it only plugs into the dock, since only the dock has normal USB ports.

Why does it have 4 buttons..
For the dpad? Because the Switch does. If you want to play a game that treats them as buttons rather than a d-pad, you'll want that. 4-directional games also tend to control better with 4 buttons.

It's a fighting game oriented pad but doesn't have 6 face buttons? What the hell?

I should be clearer, I think it's mainly the fact that it's wired that makes it good for fighting games. Otherwise it seems to be just a general pro controller. I just put that part in myself as my own observation. Edited the op to clarify that.

I am curious to hear impressions on the Hori pad. I already have a pro controller, so if it's good I might pick one up as a cheap spare for multiplayer sessions.

Am I wrong to wonder if the d-pad will be good since the top of it detaches? Or can it still be effective when it is pushing four buttons underneath

Seik

Banned
I already have a Hayabusa fightstick for PS3/4. :(

Hopefully there will be some adapter/way to make it work on Switch.

It's a fighting game oriented pad but doesn't have 6 face buttons? What the hell?
Why does it have 4 buttons..

I don't see anywhere in HORI's marketing or product page that their Pro Controller is "intended for fighting games," it just seems to be a 3rd party Pro Controller.

Usually their fight pads are branded "Fighting Commander" so I assume if that's happening it would be some other future product.

This product is not a wireless controller

Hype deflated

Wired? Ick.

Personally I really prefer wired controllers, so I'm glad it is wired. The lack of wired controller options on Wii U (aside from 1 game) kinda pissed me off.

The latency gains are worth it even for like 2D Mario where you can feel every bit of lag, really makes the difference between making a tricky jump vs falling to death. Plus not needing to worry with battery.

Otherwise the existing wireless Pro Controller seems like it would serve your needs just fine.

MoogleMan

That's actually good news for competitive games like the inevitable Smash game on the Switch.

They'll likely be re-releasing/re-branding the wii u gamecube controller adapter for smash on the switch. This hori pad looks like junk. Also, wireless controllers have come to the point where there's virtually no latency vs wired.

antibolo

Banned
The latency gains are worth it even for like 2D Mario where you can feel every bit of lag, really makes the difference between making a tricky jump vs falling to death. Plus not needing to worry with battery.

I've never felt any lag with a wireless controller, ever.

And I've never worried about battery on a controller I can just plug after I'm done using it (except the Wii U gamepad, battery life was really that bad).

With all that said I do understand the importance of wired controllers in competition environments (hence why all fightsticks are wired). But for casual usage, it really doesn't matter.

I don't see anywhere in HORI's marketing or product page that their Pro Controller is "intended for fighting games," it just seems to be a 3rd party Pro Controller.

Usually their fight pads are branded "Fighting Commander" so I assume if that's happening it would be some other future product.

Yeah, this is correct. I just worded an observation badly into suggesting it was the controller's main purpose. Sorry for the confusion, everyone.

Anybody have any idea what these would be probably be priced in the US?

I should note, the controller prices in the OP are with tax. The prices before tax are:

Hori Pad: 2,980

Hayabusa: 14,980

Which I guess they would convert to roughly 29.99 and 135-139.99 USD.

Slightly off-topic but are 3rd party joy-cons a possibility?

Not sure. It took a couple years for third-party Wii remotes to pop up, so I'm guessing the Joycons will be a similar case.

jts

...hate me...
I need a faux d-pad of that sort that attaches to the Joy-con themselves. Can't be that hard, people. We have the technology.

Neoxon

They'll likely be re-releasing/re-branding the wii u gamecube controller adapter for smash on the switch. This hori pad looks like junk. Also, wireless controllers have come to the point where there's virtually no latency vs wired.
True, but more options are never a bad thing. Plus it's more of wireless interference being a problem than latency.

It was still a fairly good d-pad though

Depends on the model. The 1000 d-pad didn't feel right at all, literally painful for extended use, and it didn't have a lot of travel. 2000 improves it quite a bit but it's still not as good as it could be. 3000 took out a "bowl" of plastic under the d-pad which gave it just enough extra comfort to help a lot.

Top Bottom