• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serbian Volleyball Team Strikes Racist Pose After Victory

Saya

Deadspin

ts6vr2efvqqthq1ubjoa.jpg

The Serbian women’s volleyball team secured a place in the 2018 FIVB Women’s World Championship in Japan after defeating Poland in a qualifier over the weekend. After the victory, they posed for the photo above, which originally appeared above the FIVB’s story about the game but was later removed.

It certainly looks like the players are doing the racist slant-eyed gesture, presumably in reference to the fact that the 2018 world championship will be played in Japan. They apparently didn’t learn anything from the 2008 Spanish basketball team.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Are you fucking kidding me?

I mean, normally I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but what the fuck else does this look like?

KoopaTheCasual

Sighhhhhhhhhh..

When I read "racist pose" I thought, "well the only pose that I would call racist is the 'slanty-eye' gesture, but surely we've moved pas-...."

So dumb.

Was thinking on all the possible racist gestures one can do as a team and no other props, 2008 Spain came to mind.

Shocked, but not shocked.

Let's just say those magical European countries that Americans all want to move to may or may not apply to Asians.

I get this shit done to me a lot in U.K. As well.

Simplet

This reminds me of the time my big sister dyed her hair blond because she was so happy about going to sweden.

What a racist idiot!

Aranath

I'm a teacher in Spain and I see that shit all the time from my students, both young kids and teenagers. And they have no clue that it's offensive.

Enzom21

This reminds me of the time my big sister dyed her hair blond because she was so happy about going to sweden.

What a racist idiot!

How is that remotely similar to this story?
Do you not think people making their eyes slanted is racist?

jts

...hate me...
C_naMs7U0AQXb9M.jpg

Just some weeks ago when this player signed for a chinese club. And this is in the context of a club photoshoot, from which this photo got clearly approved, somehow. Crazy.

Slayven

As an Asian woman, I think it is nice to see other countries celebrate us. I don't think they had any hate in their heart

Top Bottom