• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Deck Nine's new narrative game for E3 is a Life Is Strange prequel

Rellik

Not sure how to feel about this. The first game is one of my favourites but I was ready to move on to a whole new cast.

Protome

Not really sure what you could do that would be interesting with a prequel to Life is Strange, especially if it focuses on Chloe and Rachel.

Still, I really liked Life Is Strange so more is not a bad thing.

JlNX

Deck Nine has been developing the game for a long time now, yes it's a prequel were you will finally get to explore the relationship between Chloe and Rachael. I think it will be interesting to see Nathan now that the player knows about what he will become but Chloe doesn't. Mostly due to the fact Dontnod is busy on multiple other projects.

My post from yesterdays idol minds thread:
Yep they are working on Life is strange, the story focuses on Chloe and Rachael.

wrowa

So if I get this right Gamekult found the image of Chloe and Rachel sitting on the train in the code of Deck Nine's website (which they supposedly took down since then), which seems to confirm the imgur galery (that also includes that screenshot) to be legit.

Honestly though, not sure how I feel about this. Does Life is Strange really need a prequel? By a different developer no less? Hopefully the story was at least penned by LiS's writers.

Deck Nine has been developing the game for a long time now, yes it's a prequel were you will finally get to explore the relationship between Chloe and Rachael. I think it will be interesting to see Nathan now that the player knows about what he will become but Chloe doesn't. Mostly due to the fact Dontnod is busy on multiple other projects.

SPILL IT NERD

Plum

*Last episode*

*Chloe's adventure is at an end and she's driving off into the sunset*

*Her companion asks her what she thought of things*

*Camera slowly zooms in*

"I guess you could say that life is..."

*Chloe smiles at the camera*

"...hella strange."

*Cut to black. Cue whiny indie song.*

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So Deck Nine is making a prequel to the first season with same cast and Dontnod is making a new season with new cast?

Ugh more Rachel and Chloe?

Forget it, I was totally ready to see an interesting new story, I couldn't care less about Rachel and Chloe in a damn prequel.

JlNX

SPILL IT NERD

tenor.gif

What else do you want to know? just wait to see it at E3.

Joeku

If they're going to go this route, Rachel better be a fucking magical magnetic character. Everyone idolized the shit out of her.

Edit: Life is Strange being on PS+ this month also makes a bunch of sense if this is true. At E3: "Go play the first season now; episode one of the prequel will be in September!"

Akai__

Yup. That is now on my to buy list.

Game will probably be about a sad and depressing tone, epsecially if it deals with how
Rachel was murdered.

Fucking amazing news, if this is true. A sequel and a prequel. Couldn't have asked for more.

Joeku

Wait so we are getting a prequel by deck nine and a sequel by dontnod?

Prequel will be at E3 and Sequel won't?

Dontnod is still making Vampyr. Presumably once that's done they'll make season 2 of LiS. Maybe it's in preproduction and the prequel will fill in the gap.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
"Before Life Was Strange"

Kinda hyped for this. More LiS can only be good news.

(I really hope DONTNOD's sequel is "Life is too strange")

FluxWaveZ

Unfortunate that this leaked. I'm glad that this isn't the sequel, but another project. With it taking place in the same town, hopefully that aspect of it still feels novel, with new areas or a new perspective on familiar ones.

It'll be cool to finally see what Rachel was about.

What they calling it; Life is going to be Strange?

Life Will Be Strange

CloudWolf

Makes sense, people obviously loved the characters and you can't really make a sequel using the same characters considering the ending.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not feeling the screens, or the idea of a prequel. Putting a whole exposition on Rachel and the past feels heavy handed and unnecessary. The comparison to Twin Peaks is apt - not every story thread needs a proper exposition.

Bluenoser

Without the time travel mechanic, what will the player do? I'm sure the story will be good for those that played the first one, but as a game, I'm worried. I hope it's good though.

wrowa

Wait so we are getting a prequel by deck nine and a sequel by dontnod?

Prequel will be at E3 and Sequel won't?

Apparently, yeah. Dontnod released video earlier this month celebrating 3 million sales for Life is Strange. In that video they said that the Life is Strange team is back together developing a new Life is Strange game ("we can indeed confirm that the original Life is Strange team at DONTNOD are working on a brand new Life is Strange game"), but which won't be ready to be shown at E3.

Since this prequel is from a different studio (and looking at the screens likely ready to be announced soon) I'd assume that this isn't the project Dontnod was talking about.

http://na.square-enix.com/us/node/7029

Excited to play if true, loved the first. I normally hate prequels but maybe this will be the Fire Walk with Me of videogame prequels by actually making the story of Rachel incredibly emotional and in turn making her story in LiS even better? I can only hope

Top Bottom