• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 1 in 5 PS4s sold since Pro's release are PS4 Pros

DKHF

20% of PS4s sold since the Pro's release have been Pros and this is under "severe supply constraint".

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/5/15728406/ps4-sales-stats
While company officials declined to release sales numbers for the PS4 Pro, they did say that since its November release, one in every five PlayStations purchased have been a Pro.

More comments.
http://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/
And of every five PlayStation 4s Sony sells, Layden says one is a PlayStation 4 Pro, a laudable achievement given its $100 price premium, enthusiast target demographic and the nascency of the 4K television market (where it's real allure lies).

"It is way ahead of our expectations," adds Sony global sales chief Jim Ryan. "As with PSVR, and I suppose in forecasting these things we haven't done a very good job, the product is in desperately short supply. So that's one-in-five under severe constraint."

"All of the rumors of the demise of the console are very much premature," says Layden. "In fact if you're watching [sales tracker] NPD for PS4 and Xbox One sales, you put those together and console gaming has never been as big and vibrant as it is right now. And that's just here in the States." Zip across the pond, and the story tilts further in Sony's favor. "It's been pleasing that in North America, we've been 2-to-1 against Xbox," says Ryan. "But in Europe, it's really been fortress PlayStation by at least 3-to-1 in unit sales."

"It's also the breadth of type of games," he continues. "And once you get up in the heady heights of 100 million units, you're talking of a different audience altogether, where having this range of stuff like Detroit: Become Human and FIFA and Call of Duty and Star Wars, it makes the job a whole lot easier."

Edit: Also confirmed 40% of Pro buyers were upgrading from a OG PS4.

Only 1 and 5?

Okay, I got to say something otherwise that's super duper bait. I sorta expected the average consumer to go for the higher end - was the Pro pushed and bundled as much as the Slim?

dickroach

I haven't seen one in a store ever. I guess that's good
edit: nvm. looks like it's in stock at every best buy around here. guess i just haven't been looking

notaskwid

Is it good?

Is that good?

2275432-inafune_51223_screen.jpg

Jonboy

So how many PS4s have sold since the Pro launched? Should be pretty easy to calculate Pro's total from there...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That's pretty good, all things considered.

Maybe now we can dispense with the notion that the Pro was a flop and unnecessary.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
About right, I guess, although not great if Scorpio lands around the same mark considering the importance of its success.

Kyoufu

If you actually read the quotes, that's 1 in 5 under supply constraints. So it's doing better than they expected.

20%? I guess that's not bad considering that with the latest discounts Pro is twice as expensive. This emphasizes how important pricing is.

DNAbro

Only 1 and 5?

Okay, I got to say something otherwise that's super duper bait. I sorta expected the average consumer to go for the higher end - was the Pro pushed and bundled as much as the Slim?

I don't know why you would expect for people to go for the higher end product. I wonder how many people even know the Pro exists.

Again proving that the majority of consumers care more about price than IQ: the Pro is a better buy, power-per-$-wise, but the Slim plays the same games cheaper. So that's what sells.

Quonny

Supply constraints again.

Man, the parts suppliers/manufacturers must be in heaven with having more power. Between the videogames, iPhones, and other electronics there seems to be a lot of it going around.

RockmanBN

Sounds pretty good. Never seen one in store. Many people I know who casually play don't even know the existence of the Pro version until they saw mine.

Lifeline

I'm waiting till the sales this fall to get one, some great deals on the Slims already, but nothing on the Pros so far.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Is that performance in line with other electronics like iPhones and such? I know I almost always buy the base electronic as it usually fills my needs but I bought a pro.

That being said, my tastes are changing. Not sure if that's normal

Persona7

Banned
I haven't seen one in a store ever. I guess that's good
edit: nvm. looks like it's in stock at every best buy around here. guess i just haven't been looking

I go to Target multiple times a week and have never seen a PS4 Pro Or PSVR in stock.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guess I don't see those as great numbers, but if that's under supply constraint, maybe. I also don't see how that bodes well for Scorpio.

jmaine_ph

Talk that shit Sony.

"It's been pleasing that in North America, we've been 2-to-1 against Xbox," says Ryan. "But in Europe, it's really been fortress PlayStation by at least 3-to-1 in unit sales."

gamz

I guess I don't see those as great numbers, but if that's under supply constraint, maybe. I also don't see how that bodes well for Scorpio.

It can only go up. It won't do as bad as this with the marketing and it being a more polished product.

Zaru

I guess I don't see those as great numbers, but if that's under supply constraint, maybe.

Considering how hard it was to get one of these for a while, there definitely wasn't much room upwards in terms of sales by sheer production limitations.

Quonny

Now that we have these numbers I'm really interested in how Microsoft will position and sell Scorpio. 20% won't do it for them, I'd think.

Elandyll

Banned
Considering how big the last 3 months of the year are for sales, and how massively important low price is during that period, I imagine it's a different ratio between Jan- Sept and between Oct- Dec.

Good result, and a nice refresh at the mid gen point for those interested.

Still debating between PSVR or Pro at the end of the year. Will depend on price :)

Top Bottom