• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Direct - June 6th 2017 15:00 BST

What are you expecting from this Direct?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I now need to descend into a part of Reddit and begin rubbing this in people's faces.

That said. I went into this with only one thing. I wanted Pokken Tournament on Switch because I didn't buy it on the Wii U.

I got: Pokken Tournament on the Switch and Nintendo reaffirming the viability of the Nintendo 3DS family of systems for ANOTHER Christmas season.

Unless there's a "second screen" controller for the Nintendo Switch that allows you to play your 3DS games on the device ala the Game Boy Player, Wide Boy 64, and Super Game Boy devices of the past... which I support the idea of...

XandBosch

Looks like some 4chin leaked 3 versions 2 months ago, two of them having ultra in their names. well, that is something.

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/872102747385978884
DBpU0v-UQAAD2On.jpg

I'm trying to cling into anything that gives me hope...

Arggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i-Jest

Assuming Stars is even real it makes sense to wait until next year. Switch gonna be selling out for a while.

Exactly. Sun and Moon are still relatively new, and improvements can be made on them, forcing people to buy the sequels. The 3DS install base is still huge and still profitable. Switch stock still hasn't stabilized yet, the install base is still not big enough yet, so releasing a new pokemon mainline game for the console is only going to hurt Nintendo as a whole.

I know PokeGAF and Switch GAF are disappointed but Pokemon Stars can still be a thing, just not this year.

Mik317

and don't get me wrong. I wish it was on the switch too so I get being let down. But I am also going to still buy it because I enjoyed my time with the first ones, still have my 3ds and at the end of the day, games are games. Now luckily for those who don't feel the same, its not like its a whole new generation so its definitely skippable.

But please learn from history next time. It makes things so much easier on oneself.

If this means gen 8 built from the ground up on the Switch in 2-3 years, I'm in. And all the salt from today will vanish. But I'll remember.

No way was the TBA Switch goof just a template mess up.

Someone goofed and it got leaked early. This just puts more credence into that.

or we are all just setup for more disappointment

release ultra versions in fall on 3ds

release switch version in spring

and have convinced people to buy 5 versions of pretty much the same game.

Charamiwa

Banned
Thing is, I don't even know if I want an Ultra version for Switch. It looks kind of lame and half assed. An alternative story? I guess we should wait to know more but eh.

vareon

Alright, going to make new prediction:

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon for 3DS.
Pokemon Eclipse is exactly Sun/Moon but with exclusive Pokemon combined, for Switch.

It's a stupid prediction but I'd like for Nintendo to step up their game and beat me on this lol.

SummitAve

Banned
That was lame. I would have been of fine with just gold/silver coming to the switch. It makes me feel like the next pokemon game is more likely to come out on mobile, and that the switch won't really be a focus.

Looks like some 4chin leaked 3 versions 2 months ago, two of them having ultra in their names. well, that is something.

DBpU0v-UQAAD2On.jpg

To be fair, with the focus on Ultra Beasts in Sun and Moon that name isn't something impossible to guess. And the dates in that post are off by a decent amount, though that's the type of thing which is super easy to change over the course of a year.

It could be real but let's keep our expectations in check.

DBpU0v-UQAAD2On.jpg

Switch version not being full HD? Given this is GameFreak, this sounds legit.

I lol'd when they released the DS games with corrupted line of pixels at the edge of the screen, and their inability to maintain a stable frame-rate on 3DS even after removing the 3D. Please invest your large amounts of cash into some good engine programmers Game Freak.

It looked exactly like Sun/Moon. Whether Ultra comes to the Switch or not, what we saw today was 3ds footage.

That little clip from the gif is definitely not 3DS gameplay, resolution is too high and IQ is too good for the 3DS.

So it's either a sneaky tease for the Switch version, or a cinematic clip for the trailer.

It's most likely the latter.

I am enraged but the perfect trolling would be:

*Starts talking about Switch

*Announces Pokémon Gold and Silver as debut VC title for Switch.

That would've been 10/10

Kyzer

Banned
well yeah, the Switch's screen is not full HD either

I am enraged but the perfect trolling would be:

*Starts talking about Switch

*Announces Pokémon Gold and Silver as debut VC title for Switch.

That would've been 10/10

they basically did that with pokken

Vena

To be fair, with the focus on Ultra Beasts in Sun and Moon that name isn't something impossible to guess. And the dates in that post are off by a decent amount, though that's the type of thing which is super easy to change over the course of a year.

It could be real but let's keep our expectations in check.

Nah. No one was even considering this naming convention before now, lol.

TrutaS

Perhaps they wanted to get 3DS announcement out of the way, to focus on Star for Switch this E3, for a 2018 launch?

oti

Banned
Thing is, I don't even know if I want an Ultra version for Switch. It looks kind of lame and half assed. An alternative story? I guess we should wait to know more but eh.

That's where I'm at. I liked Sun/Moon for what it was but I'm ready to move on to the next Pokémon game. But tbh I expext the first Switch entry to be based on Sun/Moon. Makes too much sense for TPC.

Forkball

Any idiot could guess Ultra. The word "Ultra" had a huge presence in the story. Not to mention everything else is wrong.

IT'S OVER GUYS SAVE US YOKAI WATCH I BET WE GET YOKAI WATCH SWITCH BEFORE POKEMON SWITCH LOOK INTO YOUR HEARTS

Honestly I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. At the same time, I'd be lying if I said I'm not hype for Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon.

DBpU0v-UQAAD2On.jpg

Didn't that leak has at least one date correct (even though it is for Pokken, not the mystery Switch pokey-man)?

So, I'd say that there's hope.

Maybe they announced these lesser things out of the way, and E3 will have a megaton of megatons, Pokemon Puzzle League for Switch!

you have no one to blame for your disappointment but yourselves.

Pokemon NEVER releases on Nintendo new consoles in the first year..EVER. There is no precedent for it, why would they start now? They tend to release some spin off first to get used to the console and then start the new gen..

Wanted to single out this section of your post specifically because it's why I find the idea of Pokemon on Switch so interesting. Pokemon traditionally does not release on new Nintendo platforms in their first year, you are correct.

However...

The new Nintendo "handheld" has always feature backwards compatibility with the previous model. In the case of Switch, a new version would need to be created for that to happen.

Pokemon will come to switch...... eventually.

Doubt it would be shown at E3 though. They could have teased it on the direct, but they didn't.

Was obviously a direct to get the shit announcements out of the way for e3.

That's what anything before e3 is.
Not for Pokemon. Pokemon doesn't do E3 for big announcements--that's why this Direct exists in the fisrt place. People are just setting themselves up for huge disappointment all over again if they're just going to expect Stars to be announced at E3 now. Not going to happen.

Was obviously a direct to get the shit announcements out of the way for e3.

That's what anything before e3 is.
That's what I mean. If they REALLY wanted these to get that spotlight, why not wait a week? I mean this was 8mins guys, most of which it was just people talking. The trailer altogether was less than 4mins. This could easily have been a part of the direct. But it wasn't...

A press release would've sufficed, don't think that news deserved a Direct, which is why GAF was hyped. The stars were aligned for a Switch Pokemon game, but I guess I can wait a year.

Also, the 3DS has a new model coming, so it seems like its still selling well, not surprised by the VC and Ultra announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom