• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - Xbox One X 4K Update Details

GreyWind

What can we expect from Gears of War 4 running on Xbox One X?

Mike Rayner: The first and probably most noticeable improvement is, of course, that we render the game at native 4K resolution. Not only does that mean a 4x increase in our native rendering resolution compared to 1080p on Xbox One, but it also means much higher resolution textures across the board – from characters to environments, visual effects, everything! Bringing that incredible level fidelity to the console for the first time, which so far has really been limited to top-spec PC rigs, has been incredibly exciting for us.

One of the exclusive features for Gears of War 4 on Xbox One X is the ability to run 4K HDR with Wide Color Gamut Support. We supported HDR on the Xbox One S, and 4K on PC, but this is the first time you can play Gears of War 4 with a combination of that incredible 4K fidelity and the vibrant contrast of HDR. It's really something else.

Are there any changes to framerate on Xbox One X?

Mike Rayner: Our team have set out to really push what we can achieve at a native 4K resolution while maintaining a rock solid framerate – and all in time for our Day One Update so fans can experience Gears of War 4 running with the power of Xbox One X on release day.

With that being our focus, we're running at 4K 30FPS for Campaign/Horde and 4K 60FPS for Versus with adaptive scaling to ensure a rock-solid frame rate that fans expect from our head to head multiplayer. Many of the improvements to Campaign also make it to Versus and Horde, including 4K, HDR, higher resolution textures, improved draw distances, and Dolby Atmos Support.

Full interview : https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/community/gears-4-xbox-one-x

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AqRSKHpjQ4

VeeP

My question: if I don't have an Xbox One X will I have to download the same update as the X guys with higher textures? Or will they have a separate download option or something?

4k 60fps Multiplayer with adaptive resolution. Damn impressive. Seems like that Forza 6 demo digital foundry saw was pretty representative of overall gains. 60 fps Xbox One stuff seems to translate pretty well to 4k.

My question: if I don't have an Xbox One X will I have to download the same update as the X guys with higher textures? Or will they have a separate download option or something?

We probably already have the PC assets sitting on our hard drives and have for the last year.

Madness

Are they indicating that HDR is a console exclusive? For fuck sake.

PC didn't have HDR support I think. Only the Xbox version got it. But PC could do native 4K whereas the Xbox One version was 1080p only for most of the campaign with slight resolution dips in heavy areas. But with Xbox One S, we did get 4K output for those of us with 4K tv and HDR support.

Are they indicating that HDR is a console exclusive? For fuck sake.

This isn't new, it's been HDR on Xbox One S since launch. Same with Forza Horizon 3, they haven't yet brought HDR to the PC version as far as I know (been a while since I booted it up though).

I really need to try this game on PC. It kills me that Horde and Camp isn't 60fps when switching from MP, was hoping the X would fix that but blah blah Jaguar CPU..I get it ��

30fps campaign sucks, played it for the first time after spending months playing just the multiplayer and my god does it feel janky in comparison. 1080p at 60fps would be much better. Well atleast the multiplayer is 60fps, thats the most important part

RdN

Jesus christ, people.

Stop. Just... STOP.

This machine is not capable enough to run games all games in 4K60fps.

The sooner you realize that and we can move on from this kind of comments in EVERY thread, the better.

Theorry

The Coalition’s Technical Director, Mike Rayner was recently on stage at E3 Coliseum in an interview with Microsoft’s Larry Hryb. He talked about their development experience for the Xbox One X and how much time it took them to port the game there. According to Rayner, the developers were able to get the game up and running on the Xbox One X within a single day. All of the basic functionality was up and running for them including the multiplayer and when they made the game run at 4K on the Xbox One, they still had additional performance headroom to improve the core visuals, which they did. Rayner then explains the new additions to Gears of War 4 on the Xbox One including improved screen space reflections, improved dynamic shadowing system and 4K textures. While the game still runs at 30 FPS on the Xbox One X, these are still significant improvement especially the resolution which has increased from native 1080p from Xbox One to native 4K on the Xbox One X. The game also supports Dolby Atmos for those who have the necessary setup for it.

Rayner also talked about the development difficulty of porting a game to something like PC where there are multiple configurations to keep in mind compared to something like Xbox One X with a closed hardware and single configuration. While the game runs at 4K and 30 fps on the Xbox One X for single player, the developers are sticking with 60 fps for the multiplayer due to competitive gaming and e-sports making it a necessity.

Read more at: http://gearnuke.com/gears-war-4-dev...-one-x-within-day-additional-horsepower-left/

Read more at: http://gearnuke.com/gears-war-4-dev...-one-x-within-day-additional-horsepower-left/

gears-of-war-4-xbox-one-x-difference.png

le.phat

Jesus christ, people.

Stop. Just... STOP.

The sooner you realize that and we can move on from this kind of comments in EVERY thread, the better.

That's what you get for hyping up the scorpio for a year's time. They wanted to have a conversation about specs, about the most powerful console ever. They completely set themselves up for constant scrutiny whenever a title isn't 4K 60FPS. Especially a first party title that's 'only' uprezzed.

sangreal

That's what you get for hyping up the scorpio for a year's time. They wanted to have a conversation about specs, about the most powerful console ever. They completely set themselves up for constant scrutiny whenever a title isn't 4K 60FPS. Especially a first party title that's 'only' uprezzed.

The pitch from the start was play Xbox one games at 4K. They never said anything about 60fps. They even downplayed the notion that sub 1080p games would hit 4k

gamz

30fps campaign sucks, played it for the first time after spending months playing just the multiplayer and my god does it feel janky in comparison. 1080p at 60fps would be much better. Well atleast the multiplayer is 60fps, thats the most important part

Really? I just finished it 2 weeks ago and thought it was very smooth. I forgot it was 30fps until this article.

It looked really good as is and it's going to look incredible in 4K. I can't even imagine.

Jesus christ, people.

Stop. Just... STOP.

I agree, what spec PC do you need to run this at 4k 60fps? I would think it would cost at least 2 x the price of the XB1X.. can we just move on ...

horkrux

Jesus christ, people.

Stop. Just... STOP.

I don't think people are asking for 4K60, but 1080p60 at least

napata

1080 and a 5930k?

You don't really need a strong CPU for 60fps in Gears. An i5 is more than enough. I often push 70-80+ with a 4670k in the campaign. I think GPU wise you're right. With a 1060 I do about 35-45 in 4k with a mixture of ultra/high/medium settings.

If they're really going for high settings, 1440p-1520p is achievable with 60-ish FPS on average with an OC 480, so I'd expect a similar level of performance here. 4k is 30 FPS with medium-high.

Discusguy

4k30fps is extremely disappointing. I was looking forward to a 60fps option as I really loved The Gears 4 campaign.

This news makes me want to hold off on XB1X until fall of next year or even later. I already have a 4k30fps Pro machine.

MysteryM

Really? I just finished it 2 weeks ago and thought it was very smooth. I forgot it was 30fps until this article.

It looked really good as is and it's going to look incredible in 4K. I can't even imagine.

As someone who plays the multiplayer every evening at a solid 60fps, going back to 30fps is jarring. Especially for sniper\torque bow aiming.

I've recently played through horizon zero dawn at 30, and had no problems, but had I played a 60 version of it, I'd have probably had the same issue.

gamz

As someone who plays the multiplayer every evening at a solid 60fps, going back to 30fps is jarring. Especially for snipertorque bow aiming.

I've recently played through horizon zero dawn at 30, and had no problems, but had I played a 60 version of it, I'd have probably had the same issue.

Makes perfect sense.

KageMaru

No, that's what happens when people are willfully ignorant to what's actually been said. It's guaranteed that MS and Sony will be touting the power of their next generation consoles but we'll still see 30fps titles then as well.

thelastword

Banned
Funny we saw no footage of Gears 4, K.I and the other two games they mentioned will get free 4k enhancements....Dynamic 4k in MP means it's not always at native rez though......

Hmm..... perhaps the only way for this game to hit 60fps on the campaign is to lower the rez, but they do have to keep first parties native don't they...

FLAguy954

Jesus christ, people.

Stop. Just... STOP.

Came here to post this. What The Coalition is doing with Gears 4 on X1X is great and about what I expected.

That being said, Gears 4 is insane on my PC at 4k and I'm glad that the eventual X1X owners can experience it too.

Developers can push out different builds for different SKUs. The current Xbox One/One S versions will likely remain the same while the One X and PC versions will likely go a bit over a 100GB.

Top Bottom