• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS clarifies Minecraft's Super Duper Graphics DLC coming to all crossplay platforms

Cerium

81857151c6a939bd988c2187b1ac015d-super4.jpg

So up until now the assumption has been that the Super Duper Graphics DLC for Minecraft was coming only to Xbox One and Windows 10. This was due to the wording on the Mojang website:

We'll also be releasing new DLC, the Super Duper Graphics Pack. On top of the free 4K update, the Super Duper Graphics Pack introduces features like dynamic shadows, lighting that streams through fog, movement in leaves and grass, new textures for mobs and villagers, directional lighting, edge highlighting and more! This Pack will be available on Xbox One and Windows 10, performing best on high-end PCs and the Xbox One X (formerly known as Project Scorpio).

Some have speculated about technical limitations, others even suggested that Microsoft's desire to keep this feature exclusive was a justification for Sony refusing to participate in the "Better Together" relaunch initiative.

However, this interview with Kotaku has words straight from the horse's mouth that suggest the update, like all the others in the Better Together initiative, will be coming to all participating platforms.

Here's the catch: the Super Duper Graphics pack is also coming to lots of other platforms, including Xbox One S, PC and Switch, even mobile (unclear if/when it's coming to PS4), basically everything that'll be running the game on the new Bedrock Engine. ”It will be anywhere that you can play Minecraft in the new version," Egbert said. ”It will improve any screen on which you play, but the best experience will be on Xbox One X." This is the theme: what you can play on Xbox One X is playable elsewhere, but, short of a high-end PC, it will simply look best on the X.

So if for example you're playing the Switch version and was concerned about missing out on the fancy new textures and lighting, fear not, you're getting them. It appears that Microsoft is committed to true feature parity with Better Together.

For a full breakdown of everything in the "Better Together" relaunch check this thread.

Overview:

• Infinite World Sizes on all platforms
  • Unified codebase under the new Bedrock Engine for faster, easier, simultaneous updates
  • Crossbuy for all DLC purchases across all Better Together platforms
  • Crossplay across all Better Together platforms
  • Cloud based Realms support allows you to set up your own private persistent worlds for a group of friends
  • Dedicated Servers that can support thousands of concurrent players; basically Minecraft MMO
  • Unified Community Marketplace featuring user created content

HOLY SHIT. I thought it was gonna be a simple cross play with like up to 8 players and what not, not 1000. Every platforming getting infinite worlds? Crossbuy DLC? New lighting? Man my son is gonna love this.

What the hell is Sony thinking. Straight up missed out on some big stuff for Minecraft.

Dynasty

Are the infinite world sizes coming to PS4?
I got the Plat and wouldnt mind jumping back on if they have infinite world sizes.

Man, Minecraft now sounds way more appealing than before. Community just got exponentially larger, and the infinite worlds are a fantastic thing.

...is there a large percentage of minecraft players who are graphics snobs I have to ask myself

The pack looked pretty great I gotta say.

Plum

Gonna be interesting to see how this runs on Switch. Fully expecting a drop to 30fps, just hope it doesn't drop any further.

I actually just bought the Minecraft for Switch pretty much because of all the announcements today -- can't wait to start seeing it all come in!

Gonna be interesting to see how this runs on Switch. Fully expecting a drop to 30fps, just hope it doesn't drop any further.

I would *absolutely* be okay with 30fps on Switch, if it came with all this cool shit, especially since it'll typically run 60fps.

Cerium

I got the Plat and wouldnt mind jumping back on if they have infinite world sizes.

No because they're not participating in Better Together and will not be getting the Bedrock Engine version of the game.

mas8705

...is there a large percentage of minecraft players who are graphics snobs I have to ask myself

Honestly... This is a good point... If there is one thing Minecraft has never been known for, it has been "Graphics." Mind you that to find out that the "Super Duper" update will be on all crossplay consoles is great to find out since it ensure that that no console gets left behind here.

Or at least all consoles who participate in the crossplay. I'm already on a few people's bad side for not immediately saying "SONY WINS!" and I don't want to find out what happens when you throw a propane tank into a firepit.

That said, I am interested to find out how this will stack in all versions and how they compare.

Don't think so. Seems its all wrapped under the "Better Together" update, which Sony opted out of for some asinine reason, Im sure.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Why did Sony pass on this?

It sounds like a relaunch of Minecraft.

WillyFive

Custom shaders have been a thing in Minecraft since the very beginning. All the graphics update seems to be is a built in one for consoles, especially catching them up to PC (except for the fact that consoles have a store, while on PC all that stuff is free).

I have backed Sony before on this issue but at this point it is pretty shitty and I'm disappointed that I can't try this out.

Hopefully something gets worked out because it's starting to add up.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm kinda bummed I even bothered unwrapping my Wii U version, but at the same time the game hasn't quite clicked with me yet so maybe it's for the best, Hmm.

leeh

Just going to say it, MS buying Minecraft has done nothing but good for the series.

Mojang left it for dead.

Looks like a fantastic update. Does the community market place contain mods like on the Java version?

MCN

Banned
HOLY SHIT. I thought it was gonna be a simple cross play with like up to 8 players and what not, not 1000. Every platforming getting infinite worlds? Crossbuy DLC? New lighting? Man my son is gonna love this.

This is huge. When I get a Switch, I am 100% getting Minecraft on it.

Cartho

Between this and EA Access I for one am extremely glad that Sony is protecting me from all of this evil value in the world. Good to know they've got players' best interests at heart.

JK I'll get it on Switch.

What the hell is Sony thinking. Straight up missed out on some big stuff for Minecraft.

Edi: Misunderstood you

WillyFive

Just going to say it, MS buying Minecraft has done nothing but good for the series.

Mojang left it for dead.

Looks like a fantastic update. Does the community market place contain mods like on the Java version?

What makes you say Mojang left it for dead? Aren't they still the developers of the Java version? That one is still far better than the W10/mobile/console versions, this new update only brings it closer up to par with it.

mas8705

Minecraft modding is huge and stellar looking graphics packs have been around longer than the PS4 and Xbox One have

Since I'm not a Minecraft player, I will take your word on it. No denying that Mods probably could work wonders into Minecraft and I have seen just how crazy it can get.

Why did Sony pass on this?

It sounds like a relaunch of Minecraft.

For one reason or another, Sony has been really paranoid about Crossplay. I don't know when it started, but I think it was back when Rocket League expressed interest for crossplay. Microsoft was all for it, but Sony turned down the offer. Seems like the first actual "Cross-Console" play could very well be between Microsoft and Nintendo. Mind you if there was something that had happened sooner (not counting Xbox and PC for obvious reasons), then feel free to correct me.

Eggbok

I legit wanted those visuals on console Minecraft for so long on PS4 and now it is actually happening and Sony refused it, fuck you Sony.

What is with these bs choices, this is just like them saying no to EA Access which is really amazing on XB1. Smh, wtf Sony.

As mainly a Sony fan, and someone that has less than 0 interest in Minecraft them not participating in the cross platform shit is ignorant. I just don't get it. I hope they change the stance, because most games, and the people playing said games would benefit greatly from this.

Dunfisch

What I wonder is if this'll come to the "classic" Minecraft, rather than just the W10 edition. If yes, I'll likely jump in again. The Shader mods on PC never really worked well for me, I'll admit, so it'd be welcome to get an official implementation.

FyreWulff

I'm kinda bummed I even bothered unwrapping my Wii U version, but at the same time the game hasn't quite clicked with me yet so maybe it's for the best, Hmm.

The Wii U version will keep getting updates along with PS4, 360, PS3, and Vita

Does this mean that the PlayStation versions of Minecraft could receive updates behind everyone else on every other platform?

They'll still keep getting updates, just not exactly 1:1 to the Bedrock version (which isn't 1:1 with the Java version, either)

Gestault

For some reason, I had completely missed the unlimited world size. That's a huge upgrade. They're treating this game right with the ongoing feature growth.

Kayhan

With this new graphics update soon it may be time for me to buy this game.

But will this update actually make the game look better than it already can with mods?

Top Bottom