• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update 2:

Huge fan of the series and saw the single player theatre demo at E3. I came away feeling this is definitely a traditional Monster Hunter made "next-gen". Here are my notes:

+ Health and stamina bars not always visible
+ Use items at near full movement speed
+ Can lock on to monsters and quick turn camera like 3DS
+ Scout flies replace paintballs and show both trail and location
+ you activate scout flies by finding residue from a monster and taking samples, seems you can get enough to make it permanently on
+ Minimap can zoom to zone
+ Map still segregated into numbered zones, more interconnected, and no loading between them. But moving between zones is generally via narrow corridors
+ Slingshot used a lot for luring monsters
+ Traps and flash bombs built into environment, maybe still consumables available?
+ Some kind of paralysis inducing consumable knife
+ Monsters have a lot of cool animations for fighting each other, picking each other up
+ Mounting works like 4U, but you can move between mount spots. Also some way of eventually doing an attack
+ Great Sword moveset looks the same, but the effects for charge were much less intense audiovisually
+ Cutting tail looks hilariously exactly the same
+ Can use hookshot thing to repel down surfaces
+ Two new large monsters - the TRex and the frog thing
+ frog thing regurgitated some food it ate for little monsters to enjoy
+ had some way of summoning the flying monster to take you to base camp at seemingly any time
+ change weapons and armour at base camp
+ had a Palico buddy complete with its own weapon armour
+ HBG looked like it could always move slowly while shooting
+ HBG machine gun thing seemed like a special mode, depleted a meter
+ HBG had many ammo types and traditional ammo switching mechanics
+ sharpness meter was visible but never sharpened
+ gathering plants was instant with no animation
+ carving was slow
+ the demo had really aggressive tutorializing with the quest giver talking to you throughout and her head popping up on the right of the screen

Update:

Additional information from Dengeki confirms this is basically Monster Hunter V.

Dengeki said:
  • Monster Hunter: World has been in development for four years.
  • Originally, it was going to be called "Monster Hunter 5", but the development team really liked the name, "World" (Japanese ワールド).
  • The Base Camp spawns in random places. Each time a hunt starts, hunters will be at a different Base Camp.
  • Hunters can change weapons and armor midhunt by going to the Base Camp. This feature was added due to there usually being multiple large monsters in an area and from each having a different strength or weakness.
  • Hunters can now hunt freely without being held back by the main objective/quest, even if the quest is complete. Hunters can hunt freely without any limits now.
  • Hunters use Scout Flies as guides to help them navigate the area if they can't find the monster and to find certain items, including drool and footprints.
  • The monsters can easily change the environment you are fighting in with certain attacks and destroying certain objects.
  • Each large monster in a location has a territory in a certain part of the area. In some cases, hunters may need to lure another threat into their territory in order to get their target to reveal itself.
  • By hiding from monsters, hunters can avoid fighting them or prepare for a silent escape from the battle.
  • Capcom thought about giving the monsters health bars due to a majority of people. Globally, fans requested for a way to see how much damage they were dealing, so Capcom decided to add damage numbers to the this game.
  • The Quest Giver was fully voiced in English, and she sent the hunter on a quest to hunt an Anjanath, the T-rex-like monster shown in the reveal.
  • Hunters can quickly pick up resources as they run by, meaning you don't have to stop and wait for foraging animations.
Source 1: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spuvtg
Source 2: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/538/1538583/

Gaijinhunter said:
Source: https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/874884547623759872

Watch Impress said:
――Nintendo Switch版は検討していますか?- Are there plans for a Nintendo Switch version?

辻本氏: 今のところ予定はありません。- There are no plans for now.
Source 1: https://twitter.com/BannedDino/status/874880847417102336
Source 2: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1065192.html

Original Post:

There's sourcing for everything at the link.

LightKiosk said:
  • For new people coming in, here's a recap of info that has been shared so far by Capcom employees who have worked on/with Monster Hunter.
  • A 4:56 video that shows a bit more extended footage of the things we've already seen.
  • Monster Hunter: World is not a spin-off.
  • Monster Hunter: World was worked on by the main development team in Japan.
  • You can play offline.
  • Fishing, mining, and capturing bugs still in the game.
  • All 14 weapon types confirmed in the game.
  • Tails still cuttable.
  • Hunt, Carve, Forge loop is still there.
  • Still has the same rewarding and challenging gameplay.
  • Health, stamina, potions, sharpness still present.
  • Sound still plays after making a good well done steak.
  • Targeting locked 30FPS across all platforms (referring to console).
  • The game uses the MT Framework. Maybe PC as well, weird wording in this one.
  • Insect Glaive will be in the game.
  • When asked about Hunter Arts, response was "Brand new title. Brand new gameplay systems in place!"
  • Separate maps, but zones are gone!
  • More clarification on maps/zones: "It's not open world game, but all the maps are massive and wide open, without any loading screens :)"
  • Charge Blade is in, Tonfa is not.
  • No underwater combat.
  • No Prowler Mode in Monster Hunter World.
  • Palicoes are in the game.
  • In-game voice chat is supported.
  • You can either choose to sneak past small monsters to avoid fighting them, or kill them to collect/loot their bodies. The world is "hella flexible."
  • Gestures will be present in Monster Hunter: World.
  • They are completely focused on World for the western markets, and Monster Hunter: World is once again confirmed as the next main title in the series.
  • After being asked if there will be a Monster Hunter 5 or a game for the Japanese audiences, they reply was: "This is the next generation of Monster Hunter!"
  • You can both do drop-in/drop-out co-op, or form a pre-hunt party in Monster Hunter: World.
  • Multiplayer is online-only, there is no local co-op.
  • Monsters will not have health bars, but damage numbers will appear.
  • Monster Hunter World is confirmed to NOT have regenerating health. I guess there was a rumor going around about this? Idk..
  • Japanese Twitter showed off some new screenshots: 1 2 3 4 5. As well as a new title card image.
  • /u/LinFTW did a recap of the Playstation Live Event information that can be found here.
  • Recap of a users experience from NeoGAF with behind-closed-doors Monster Hunter: World footage:
Sorry for late reply, it's a private demo you can sign up for at E3. Four developers from Japan playing the game unscripted (they were unable to defeat Rathalos lol).
  • Started demo off with just one hunter, he tracked the new monster with "scout flies" ...
  • when the battle got rough, he led the new monster to Rathalos Nest very high up in the environment.
  • Rathalos was pissed to see the hunter and the monster creeping into his lair and preceded to wreck everything.
  • Great animations of the monsters fighting each other. The lone hunter sends signal flare and 3 other devs join mid battle.
  • Lots of vertical combat, more than MH4. Seems all hunters have a grappling hook.
  • The monsters interactions with each other was very cool, they encountered 3 different large monsters during demo.
  • One of them ate an herbivore whole lol.
  • The rapid fire on the heavy bowgun is a special ability.
  • The combat looks and feels like traditional monster hunter with quality of life improvements.
  • Day and night cycle is realtime, Rathalos destroyed a dam which cause an area to flood. Sweeping 2 of the hunters out of the area.
  • I really like that they went back to a more prehistoric feeling and mood to the game.
  • The fours hunters fighting together looked awesome, Rathalos has many new attacks, throws and animations.
  • The bow has a nice new attack which drops small bombs on top of the monsters.
  • I think they finally updated the Rathalos model haha.
  • I wish it was a bit more stylized, but the Graphics look great.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...ys_e3_presentation_monster_hunter_on/div4izx/

LinFTW said:
  • Starts by showing extended trailer I think?, notes no loading screens between areas but it's not a fully connected open world.
  • Ryozo (Capcom) wants to note 'living breathing world', monsters all have intelligent AI and desires/interactions, world going on around you and you can use their interactions to your advantage.
  • Interviewer asks about stealth sequence we saw - Ryozo notes there are new suit items like mantles, new one from the trailer, cannot have on all the time, has a cooldown. Also opposite which lets you lure monsters towards you.
  • Interviewer asks how multiplayer is being approached - Ryozo notes previously it was 4 player, going to hub, questing, etc. New game will include drop-in multiplayer via shooting up flair part way through quest (same as in trailer).
  • Interviewer asks whether hunter lounges will exist - Ryozo confirms 'of course'.
  • Interviewer asked about joined servers (related to global presumably) - Ryozo notes that yes, all servers merged into one, everyone will play together, simultaneous launch as well.
  • Interviewer asks about any new tweaks to combat system - Ryozo wants to assure everyone all 14 weapons are in, they know hunting is core gameplay, not removing anything, building on base from previous titles. Goes on to talk about 'slinger' (grappling hook item), can also pick up rocks and use slinger to launch rocks around.
  • Interviewer makes joke about meat on the spit.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...ead_playstation_live_from_e3_monster/divdvij/

And the older info:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDS-w29MqeE

Livestream video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjZ-asj8GzQ

Monster Hunter: World confirmed for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One early 2018! PC version coming at a later date. #MHWorld

DCKgqJPV0AAgCjc.jpg:large

Screenshots said:

Art said:

Box said:

There's more screenshots/art:

DCMZpUeV0AAioDi.jpg:orig

DCLns_oVYAAmXI9.jpg:orig

DCLnw23V0AQX1XW.jpg:orig

DCLnzloVoAAKWCZ.jpg:orig

DCLnua9VYAAOKBb.jpg:orig

1013.jpg

195.jpg

205.jpg

225.jpg

236.jpg

DCLgcq1V0AA9H4k.jpg:orig

%E5%A4%A7%E5%89%A3.jpg

Wow, thanks for the info dump. So excited for this.

I hope there's a toggle for damage numbers and I'll be so happy, as the rest sounds amazing.

remz

OK. After reading that I'm in for the PC version (or even the ps4 until PC comes out) I was worried about this game yesterday but the descriptions here sound great.

Squire

Banned
Looks good. Pretty clear the vast majority of chan leak was bullshit, but I expect it to continue to be propped up. Not fair to Capcom, honestly.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Monster Hunter: World is not a spin-off.

After being asked if there will be a Monster Hunter 5 or a game for the Japanese audiences, they reply was: "This is the next generation of Monster Hunter!"

I guess this confirms that this is "Monster Hunter 5", but it's not titled Monster Hunter 5.

Tratorn

That "westernized", dumped-down MH rumour really was just nonsense, the game sounds great.
Can't wait for the first raw gameplay demo.

Chindogg

Very weird to say that it's a mainline game but not on a handheld and focused on the west.

I hope it's good but my trust in Capcom is waning. Hopefully everything will be fine.

I guess this confirms that this is "Monster Hunter 5", but it's not titled Monster Hunter 5.
It makes sense, doesn't it? It removes the question of whether or not someone unfamiliar with the series needs to play 1-4. It's an attempt at relaunching the series in the west, so not using potentially alienating name is a good idea.
That "westernized", dumped-down MH rumour really was just nonsense, the game sounds great.
Can't wait for the first raw gameplay demo.
Yep, you can actually go through it point by point and the only thing that's right is the name of MHXX. But it'll be used forever by people who just don't want to believe this is the future of MH.

It makes sense to not call it 5

People are more likely to buy something if they don't think they need to play previous entries (which obviously weren't available in that ecosystem)

I also wonder if they're being strategic with bringing the Dragon's Dogma port in the fall. Try and get people waiting for Monster Hunter to buy while they wait, then try and get fans of Dragon's Dogma to buy for something sort of similar (closer than anything else, anyway)

Foffy

Banned
Wow, thanks for the info dump. So excited for this.

I hope there's a toggle for damage numbers and I'll be so happy, as the rest sounds amazing.

This could be toggled in Monster Hunter Online.

I assume they took the idea from that game, so hopefully like that one, you can turn them off.

Ryuuga

Banned
I appreciate this thread because discussion can finally start without all the toxic misinformation and rumor-mongering. This is shaping up to be something worthy of being MH5 in all but name, looking forward to seeing more of it on the 20th.

A dream come true. This is what i always imagine Monster Hunter would eventually become.

I'm sure so did Capcom.

Marooning their most prized IP on handhelds for this long must have been torture for them. Granted, they made a lot of money from it, but it was never the terminus for MH.

Adnor

Banned
Targeting locked 30FPS across all platforms(referring to console).
Hopefully it's unlocked framerate on PC then. Capcom releases good ports for PC so hopefully they continue that.

Looks good, hope they show raw gameplay soon.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If it all holds up, the lists in the OP have alleviated all of my fears, which admittedly came from the 4chan leak.

Hopefully it's unlocked framerate on PC then. Capcom releases good ports for PC so hopefully they continue that.

If it's really MT Framework, the PC port will be glorious.

Really looking forward to this, will do my part by spreading the love around.

I can't believe I can play Monster Hunter with all my old friends again !

EGOMON

For someone who never played MH game but played shit ton of Toukiden and Toukiden 2 is it similar? i hear people comparing the two

Styles

Monster Hunter World is confirmed to NOT have regenerating health. I guess there was a rumor going around about this? Idk..

So I guess all of the outrage was for nothing.

Y'all can sleep soundly tonight.

mpSJiXW.gif

Kebiinu

Banned
Huh. If they're supporting it with statements like this, I'll jump in after all. Especially since it looks like XX is moot for NA.

udivision

Well, on one hand I'm happy that I'll be able to get this on a platform I own, but on the other...

For Japan, don't they need a portable entry to make that MH money that funds the rest of the their games?

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good.

I do prefer these games handheld so I can lay in my bed and get comfy, BUT still damn excited. Looking forward to knocking out some hunts with Gaf on PS Quadruple :D

Thoraxes

Some good and a lot of bad in there. It's nice that they've have new assets they'll use for the next 10 years at least.

Still gonna be a definite pass. Super disappointed in their abandonment of local multiplayer.

Top Bottom