• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME: 10 Things Nintendo Told Us About 'Super Mario Odyssey'

ggx2ac

More at the link: http://time.com/4816417/super-mario-odyssey-interview-e3/

It was designed with the Switch's handheld mode in mind

"I think there's one thing that does lend itself to being played on a system that can be taken out on the go, but with the addition of the Power Moons and large number of them that you can collect, if you have two or three minutes and you're on the go, you can collect Power Moons because they're hidden everywhere," says director Kenta Motokura.
"I think the ability to either follow the storyline or just collect Power Moons over a short period of time does lend itself to [playing on the go]."

A throwable cap was integral from the start

"As far as the hat action goes it was included in one of the prototypes the staff had come up with," says Motokura. "It was part of the game right from the beginning. We have several different themes that arose from those prototypes, and one of those was focusing on the Joy-Con [motion controls]."

Nintendo recommends playing with Joy-Cons detached

"You can play it either way, with the Joy-Cons attached or detached, but playing with them detached, and using some of these motion controls, we believe it feels a bit better, we've arranged for it to be a more positive experience," says Motokura. "As far as instructing the player on the different controls, whether playing docked or undocked, there are some things we're not able to show you today, but that explanation or way of teaching players is in the game."

It's not always clear what you can interact with — and that's intentional

"Because throwing the cap is a new action, we want players to feel empowered or encouraged to go ahead and try this action wherever they feel it might work," says Motokura. "There are certain topographical hints near areas where you're going to be looking, and you might say 'That looks like some place my hat might reach or might attach to.' So there are some hidden elements like that, that players will start to get used to."

"The game's structure isn't designed so that you have side quests, it's more that as you're traveling around the different kingdoms or areas, you'll find something that attracts your attention and there may be some sort of a quest around that, but it's all about going and finding and collecting the Power Moons. You need a certain number of Moons to unlock a new kingdom, so some of these what we might consider side quests, are solving some issue within a kingdom, but the real goal of that is to provide you with enough Power Moons to move on with the main storyline."

It has multiplayer, but Nintendo's not talking about it yet

"This is a game for the Nintendo Switch, so probably," says Motokura, reacting to a question about multiplayer possibilities. "But I'm afraid we can't share anything about that today."

Tregard

Soothsayer
It has multiplayer, but Nintendo's not talking about it yet

Well now

0umSZDt.gif

Clefargle

Damn,

Multiplayer would make this doper than hell. Running around with my GF split screen would be a dream and maybe even coop online?

maxcriden

Damn,

Multiplayer would make this doper than hell. Running around with my GF split screen would be a dream and maybe even coop online?

Honestly I feel like if it was full MP like that we'd have seen since it's launching in October...but I could be totally wrong of course!

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Wait, it has motion controls? For what? (didn't see the new stuff, on media black out).

I'm not sure but I swear I heard them mention the "Multiplayer" during the Treehouse live and its going to be like Galaxy's co-op with one person having basic interaction with things.

Edit: Looked it up I was wrong they were talking about amiibo.

Kalamoj

No because you can do motion controls with the joycons attached to the side, or you can do table top and have them detached.

It says detached specifically. And what's the point of a handheld mode if you put it on a table? Might as well play it docked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the Treehouse stream they made it seem like there are some things you can do with split JoyCons that you actually can't do with a regular controller. I wouldn't want to see another ARMS situation, where the traditional controls have missing functionality for no real reason.

Oersted

Honestly I feel like if it was full MP like that we'd have seen since it's launching in October...but I could be totally wrong of course!

Rabbids was revealed 2 months before release. There is time I guess.

This sounds really good. Hopefully the multiplayer is full co-op and not a co-star esque mode.

Kinda hope its both. The Galaxy thing was nice for beginners to get used to the controls without getting in the way

TrueBlue

Producer Yoshiaki Koizumi says he's 'more likely to be kidnapped than Peach'

"If you look over all the different games in which Peach has appeared, there are quite a lot in which she has taken an active role in the past," says Koizumi, reacting to a question about gender empowerment in games. "For example in Super Mario 3D World she was a playable character. And I think I know a couple of people who really enjoyed playing her in the Smash Bros. series as well. So we think of her as a very strong character. But some people do get kidnapped on occasion, and if I had to make a comparison, I'm more likely to get kidnapped than she is, but certainly it can happen to anyone."

I can't help but feel a tad disappointed that 3D World didn't start a trend in mainline games with regards to Peach - though I suppose the design of Odyssey makes it a different beast entirely. Ah well.

EDIT: Luigi please!

For Super Mario Odyssey to be multiplayer, it will absolutely need either split-screen or LAN/Online. There is no way this would work like 3D World because of how vast the worlds are.

Well that's not a very good design then...

Well that's not a very good design then...

Tabletop mode?

But those choice words are interesting. I will either play it in handheld or TV mode, but it really depends how the multiplayer works on it.

Galang

Banned
Damn,

I'm doubting it will be this ambitious, but I hope Nintendo will surprise us on this. Loved 3D World for this reason. Hope it's not like Galaxy 2 where you control the Luma

Majmun

Nintendo recommends playing this game with detached joy-cons because it was designed for handheld mode?

Well...okay

Why not big screen with detached joy-cons?

-shadow-

Here's hoping they keep developing their games with handheld mode in mind. The less terrible forced motion controls in their games, the better.

Top Bottom