• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: AC Origins To Run at 4K/30 FPS On Both Pro and Xbox X

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Since the last one got closed.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-x-demonstrates-real-value-it-ps4-pro-competitor-or-not?amp

I spoke to a developer from Ubisoft working on that game and inquired about the version parity between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. He told me that Assassin's Creed Origins will be 4K at 30 FPS on both the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, which I found a little confusing. If the PS4 Pro can handle 4K 30, how is Assassin's Creed Origins utilizing the Xbox One X's additional overhead? It isn't, apparently.

How is Assassin's Creed Origins utilizing the Xbox One X's additional overhead? It isn't.

The developer told me that both versions use dynamic resolution scaling to maintain frame rate stability, so more intense scenes might see the 4K resolution drop below momentarily to keep the game running smoothly. He said that the Xbox One X version's resolution would most likely drop below True 4K far less often, and perhaps not at all when compared to the PS4 Pro, but also that the differences would be "imperceptible to the human eye."

tl;dr AC Origins runs on both consoles at 4K/30 using dynamic resolution scaling. XBX may have less resolution drops but the end result will be imperceptible to the human eye.

Supplemental resource:

Digital Foundry's tech breakdown of AC Origins where they confirm the game is using checker board rendering on Xbox X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8oPvbpVGP0

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Buy 4k tv's

but also that the differences would be "imperceptible to the human eye

KAY...

Jedi2016

Surprising only in that they've apparently improved the engine enough to finally hit 2160c (WD2 was only 1800c).

I was honestly expecting ACO to be the same, but the more the merrier. If they can get at least 1800c with HDR, I'm good.

Once again, the developers have already stated that it is dynamic resolution on all platforms so in that case, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X will have 4K at the high-end while PS4/XBO will have 1080p at the high-end. Doesn't mean they will run the game at the same resolution.

Montresor

Doesn't mean we can't still get grass gate.

I mean to be serious guys, we got some games that were the same on both original Xbox One and original PS4 earlier this gen (like AC Unity or Destiny 1).

It's not a big deal - doesn't mean anything sinister happened. It could easily mean the devs have a certain vision, and are hitting consistent targets across both consoles. Both versions could be 4k 30fps - you'll still see the vast majority of Scorpio games out there outperforming easily the PS4 Pro. Just like we saw with PS4 and Xbox One.

There could still easily be greater visual effects and bells and whistles on the Scorpio version, even with both targeting 4k 30fps. More consistent frame rate. Etc...

Considering consoles are pretty much PC boxes nowadays I wish we'd have similar options for performance.

At least being able to choose between prioritising FPS and resolution would be nice.

Cookie18

I see this happening a lot. It costs money to make the most of hardware, if you're a 3rd party game why spend the extra money to get the most out of the Xbox One X when only a fraction of your audience are on it? May as well just make it equal across the Pro and X with the likelihood that the X can handle it better, as said in his answer that there will be less drops.

BigEmil

4k is a fad just to sell new overpriced TV's

Fuck 4k push the visuals more instead, and or performance aswell! 1080p is more than enough pixels resolution

Vashetti

Banned

Fuck 4k push the visuals and or performance aswell! 1080p is more than enough pixels resolution

How is the next resolution standard a fad? lol

It's not going to go away, we're not staying at 1080p until the end of time.

Curufinwe

Fuck 4k push the visuals and or performance aswell! 1080p is more than enough pixels resolution

Big open worlds aren't going to run at 60 fps on Jaguar CPUs even if they were 1080p.

Get over it or get a gaming PC.

Assassin's Creed Origins already slaying monsters and it doesn't release until October.

JlWJYj1.jpg

13ruce

Banned
I wonder if they will still do the same after 4k because after 4k it is very hard to tell the difference, resolutions are nearing diminishing returns.

I bet tv's will focus more on other tech after 8k or so.

Hopefully we will have 60fps then:p but who am i kiddong they will support the new tv tech and still push graphics till that diminishing returns for atleast a few more gens.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Here I am dreaming of 16K per eye at 200fps+ and you tell me this. No sir, never. We shall not settle. We shall push on.

Buy 4k tv's

but also that the differences would be "imperceptible to the human eye

KAY...

4k is incredible. But yeah, 1800p checkerboard rendered up to 2160p will probably be pretty damn tough to spot vs native 2160p to the matter eye.

Doesn't make 4k somehow not "worth it" in the slightest.

pa22word

Why did we go to 4k and not 1080/60?
CPU CPU CPU

Ubi games need ultra CPUs running beast mode overclocks to hit consistent 60fps. Anvil engine is probably the most CPU bound game engine out there other than maybe creative assembly's stuff if you want to count that. Anyone paying any attention at all to PC benchmarks over the past 10 years should have looked at the op and said "duh"

Ubi games and their perf is actually one of the more interesting things to watch for with the new i9 processors, just because their engine is so cpu bound.

sjay1994

Thank you for the parity, Ubi!

Can I ask why parity is such a bad thing? Is it just because games are not taking full advantage of a hardware?

Is it wrong that I think from a consumer standpoint multiplat games being the exact same for all platforms is good, since now there is no "inferior version".

Or am I some kinda console communist?

spannicus

Can I ask why parity is such a bad thing? Is it just because games are not taking full advantage of a hardware?

Is it wrong that I think from a consumer standpoint multiplat games being the exact same for all platforms is good, since now there is no "inferior version".

Or am I some kinda console communist?
There is no way i would spend more money on better hardware just to have a game run the same on lesser. Whats the point of upgrading hardware if it plays the same on your current box?

People comparing Pro to Xbox One X should be comparing the performance leaps from the base consoles. When most Xbox gamers were getting 720p-900p games and unstable framerates, you're now getting 1080p up to 4k at a stable 30fps or maybe even 60fps depending on the game. That's not insignificant.

pa22word

There is no way i would spend more money on better hardware just to have a game run the same on lesser. Whats the point of upgrading hardware if it plays the same on your current box?
In this case it's more like having an old crappy tower that can barely chug along, throwing a 980ti in it and expecting miracles in performance.

Someone in the destiny 2 thread made a "CPU bound for dummies" image that should really be posted in every thread with outrage over why the 1.5 consoles aren't hitting high framerates.

Gamezone

Gold Member

That's what I'm thinking too. Even games like Battlefront with 720p on Xbox One looks absolutely great. 1080p is more than enough for me.

Meh I could barely tell the difference between 1080p and 960p like how can anyone tell the difference at 4k.

Unless you blow up the image and zoom in?

Yet I played 3rd party on PS4 just cuz the difference was always in the back of my head.

Eh we will see what differences there are.

sjay1994

But then multiplatform developers will have to worry about 6 different versions (if a switch version is even made)

Honestly, I feel the only reason you should consider upgrading hardware is for exclusives only since them taking full advantage is more practical than multiplat games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People comparing Pro to Xbox One X should be comparing the performance leaps from the base consoles. When most Xbox gamers were getting 720p-900p games and unstable framerates, you're now getting 1080p up to 4k at a stable 30fps or maybe even 60fps depending on the game. That's not insignificant.

If the implementation is right, the Pro games with higher resolutions have huge visual gains. It all depends on how the developer utilizes the extra resources.

Some devs are smart enough to offer options, The Surge for example, lets you choose either higher resolution at 30 or 1080p at a solid 60 FPS on the Pro.

Top Bottom