• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer talks to Patrick Klepek (Waypoint) about Xbox One X and First Party

jbug617

Banned
Full Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5G4pdbKjWI

If you want to watch the 1st Party Exclusive talk here it is https://youtu.be/_5G4pdbKjWI?t=624

In regards to 1st Party Exclusives he said they did sign some things recently and they could of put a trailer out there during the conference but he knew those games wouldn't come out in 2-3 years. Phil said the goal since becoming head of Xbox was hardware (S and X), Xbox Live Platform (BC, PC, iOS and Android) and trust them they know they need the games

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda feel like these deals to make games should've started when he took over ages ago, but obviously things don't just happen overnight like that.

I guess the concern is that by the time these 1st party games come out, PS5 will be out and flaunting all kinds of fancy shit. Maybe the X1X is 'future-proofed' enough to still hold its own at the time, but who knows.

Phil is such a great guy, and seem the most genuine gaming executive. He deserves more support from MS to build their first party catalog.

Yjynx

LOL this is rinse and repeat from OG Xbox era isn't it? First party showed up then it got killed somewhere along the line. Then it got up again.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
jTAKU9y.jpg

The camera work is bugging me. Why are they so focused on Patrick?

I kinda feel like these deals to make games should've started when he took over ages ago, but obviously things don't just happen overnight like that.

I guess the concern is that by the time these 1st party games come out, PS5 will be out and flaunting all kinds of fancy shit. Maybe the X1X is 'future-proofed' enough to still hold its own at the time, but who knows.

To be quite honest, if he's 100% honest and that he's semi-deprioritised first-party development to get platform and hardware right, then he's done a poor job since he is the one who chooses to keep his position as head of first-party and not delegate a portion of the job to someone else till recently. (Shannon)

Platform holders need to be working on all three (HW/Platform/Games) simultaneously.

Barzul

Why are folks assuming PS5 is right around the corner? The R&D for a new console is bound to be super expensive and it needs to be different enough from what we already have. I don't see the confluence of all those requirements yet. Personally think this gen might be even longer than PS3/360

Banned
Good on him for not showing stuff early just for the sake of building hype. It damaged them with Crackdown, Fable, Scalebound and Quantum Break.

Games should never make a victory lap at E3.

rrc1594

To be quite honest, if he's 100% honest and that he's semi-deprioritised first-party development to get platform and hardware right, then he's done a poor job since he is the one who chooses to keep his position as head of first-party and not delegate a portion of the job to someone else till recently. (Shannon)

Platform holders need to be working on all three (HW/Platform/Games) simultaneously.

This

Widge

Why are folks assuming PS5 is right around the corner? The R&D for a new console is bound to be super expensive and it needs to be different enough from what we already have. I don't see the confluence of all those requirements yet. Personally think this gen might be even longer than PS3/360

Sony will be hanging around waiting for 4k technology to be a bit more mass market in terms of pricing. They'll want to hit it with a decently priced machine.

Fox Mulder

MS has been about third parties since right after the OG Xbox came out. They have arguably had the best versions of most third party games for two generations and lost it with the xb1 designed for Kinect and tv shit. Halo and Gears also fell off a bit.

When it's PS5 time in a few years, they'll probably drop something new too.

1. Everyone, from the platform holders to game makers felt last-gen was too long.
2. Last gen was only 7-8 years.
3. PS4 Pro was a mid-gen product that came at Year 3 of PS4.

So if we assume that :
a. Current gen will be shorter than 8 years
b. A mid-gen product released in year 3 of a console cycle

PS5 is a 2019 product that comes out at the tail end of a 6-year cycle.

Three

Phil was corporate vice president of Microsoft studios before becoming the head of Xbox. They should have been happening even before he took over. When he was out signing deals with nike and being a figurehead for Kinect, making rare make avatars etc. If anything the First party stuff has taken even more of a nosedive since he took over. All his talk is just hot air.

Theorry

They need more "Now In Development" reveals. It's the only way to win E3 on NeoGAF.

That true i guess. Even Sony showed alot of games that are soon coming. Wich you would say is great i guess. But they didnt "won" in alot of peoples eyes because they didnt show what other studios were doing and were releasing in couple of years.

marciocdb

Banned
I guess both Sony and Microsoft learned their lessons of not announcing anything that is still very far from launching and has a potential to fail....

oldergamer

Phil was corporate vice president of Microsoft studios before becoming the head of Xbox. They should have been happening even before he took over. When he was out signing deals with nike and being a figurehead for Kinect, making rare make avatars etc. If anything the First party stuff has taken even more of a nosedive since he took over. All his talk is just hot air.

Bullshit. I call BS on that. He's basically saying they got chastised for showing things too early ( same thing sony does) with the actual games years off. When that happened he said they would not announce game titles out in the public before they had a release date, or were more mature. At the time he took over there was hardly any titles in development + a few troubled projects. They sign game deals all the time.

Zedox

Got the hardware out the way (that's very expensive)
Got the platform features fleshed out (though they need to work on Windows Store)
Focus is now on their AAA first party games. (ok)

I am glad that he won't show games if they aren't gonna come out within a 1 year timeframe (though I think Ori may come out later in 2018, I hope not). I still think the platform features are definitely the best and it will be a while if ever the their competition can hold a candle up to what they are doing. Hardware wise, I think they did really good with the Xbox One X as it's like the Elite Controller and only for certain gamers.

They really need to flesh out that first party lineup and since they have a good foundation to build upon...their focus on games should be easier. 2018 E3 better show us their games. But oh well, I can't wait to play Crackdown 3.

Falchion

We all knew this year was going to be light on the first party games but I'm really hoping they come through strong in 2018.

Interesting, it was a common argument over the past year that they were gearing up first party to co-align with the launch of the X. As this was supposed to be a rebirth of the console.

greenegt

I feel like we've been saying this every year since 2014.

Part of the problem is that MS does not have a slate of studios comparable to Sony's WWS, so they work with independents for a lot of their exclusives. Part of Microsoft's first party investment should be new studios or expanding 343 and Coalition so that they can work on new IP as well as Halo and Gears.

Phil is such a great guy, and seem the most genuine gaming executive. He deserves more support from MS to build their first party catalog.

Agreed. I hope this turns out to be more than hot air. I find it annoying that he was talking about how they have been investing heavily in first party software but they only announced two first party games. Three if you count Super Lucky's Tale.

krang

Part of the problem is that MS does not have a slate of studios comparable to Sony's WWS, so they work with independents for a lot of their exclusives. Part of Microsoft's first party investment should be new studios or expanding 343 and Coalition so that they can work on new IP as well as Halo and Gears.

Has anybody explicitly asked him about that possibility?

Kayant

Now that everything revealed in earlier years has a release window E3 2018 will show what their true commitment is going to be because we know they don't care about release games in anything but Q3/Fall time period.

Lady Gaia

In regards to 1st Party Exclusives he said they did sign some things recently and they could of put a trailer out there during the conference but he knew those games wouldn't come out in 2-3 years.

Did he really suggest that what we know about (plus utterly predictable franchises) is everything we'll see from first party for the next 2-3 years? If so, he's describing competition for the PS5 launch, not anything remotely relevant to winning market share while Microsoft has a clear performance advantage.

RoKKeR

lmao about the controller eating, that was pretty funny.

I find Phil to be much more candid in these sitdown, on-camera interviews with great interviewers like Jeff and Patrick. Good to hear that they have signed things just recently, but I hope to see other deals maybe that were done in the last year or so to start appearing soon. Probably his best response to this question yet, even though it is kind of the same as other ones.

Crayon

Could be true. Could be another bend of the truth. We'll see in 2-3 years tho so nothing tho worry about.

Top Bottom