• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at Youtube trailer views for E3 2017

Edit: Updated with trailer view count data as of 16th June and 18th June. Also some additional insights from benny_a who is the one running the data scripting, so he has access to the trending insights at point of extraction.

Well, while it's still early days and plenty of trailers are still gaining views and momentum as the clock ticks... let's have a look at the most viewed trailers of the past week, ranging from trailers shown at E3 or trailers set-up for pre-E3 announcements.

Because this year has multitudes of trailers where the main source is not the significant contributer of views, a number of trailers where the number of views are weirdly balanced, and all that jazz, this early look has 3 fundamental restrictions:

a. this list only looks at top 50 trailers from E3.
b. where there are mirrors of the same trailer with significant view count, I will combine the view count of up to 3 of the same trailers, max.
c. trailers/mirrors below 100k are not included into the mix. ( as of this snapshot )

Therefore, it is not a perfect look and as we come closer to the end of E3 and letting more time simmer, we'll hopefully do a more in-depth look at all the games. Kindly advise if you noticed anything wrong:

dT4amjz.png

P.S. The like/view ratio for KH3 is completely messed up, because no of likes/dislikes are disabled for the Japanese trailer of KH3.

Credit goes to Triggerhappytel for helping out with trailer/link compilation, and code wizard benny_a for masterful time liberation.

Trailer views update as of 16th June, with amendments as per noted mistakes:

DCbidBYU0AAL9v-.jpg

Update as of 18th June 2017. Credit to trigger & benny''s ongoing help. :)\

DCllsE1UIAAfYnz.jpg

Nice update!

Auxiliary information: Spider-Man trailer is outpacing every other tracked trailer in the last 14 hours, including the ones that are run as ads.
Its views to like/dislike ratio is also unmatched until #17 (most growth, same time period) when COD WWII beats it.

As an example, in the last 14 hours the Xbox One X trailer is at 750k views growth with 0.06% like/dislike percentage.

That's pretty clearly an ad run.

Super Mario Odyssey is at 540k in the same period and at 0.84%. I interpret that number as not as many unique viewers as Spider-Man which is at 830k 1.37%.

So you have to basically interpret the situation. MS's trailers or MHW trailer is ad run because it's extremely tiny L/D% but SMO could just be significant repeat watchings by viewers that already liked/disliked.

Edit 1:
For me some short hand for now, based on this limted information:
<0.1% is clear case ad run only, basically no organic interest,
0.4> <0.7 organic + ads
>0.7 repeat viewings by dedicated fans
>1.0 new unique viewers + repeat viewings

You also have COD WWII which seems to have a very engaged audience, maybe because it's aimed more at kids that like/dislike more. It gets muddy above 0.1% where it's clearly ad runs. :p

Edit 2:
What's great is the slowness of Sony of uploading the videos themselves. Assuming you can't, or they don't try to run trailers as advertisements on other people's channels you have a good control group for big trailers without ad runs.

Quonny

Need for Speed being so high is surprising to me.

But maybe it shouldn't be since it's just F&F: The Game.

Uh...what the hell...There's just a black box in the OP with no list or anything. Even quoting the post doesn't show anything there.

studyguy

My cousin who hasn't played a fucking game since like the PS2 called me up excited out of the fucking blue telling me he just watched the Spiderman trailer and it reminded him of the PS2 spiderman games.

Shit's weird, that game's gonna be a monster.

vivekTO

We all learned that views mean nothing......

How many views did COD infinity warfare get and then it was widely hated???

But that is the point of Like Views ratio, The Infinite trailer is among the ost disliked trailer in history of youtube, hence why the Views are high but the Reception is pretty Bad.

Excellent job but for Monster Hunter World, I think you missed Capcom Japan channel, it's above 2,1 million views here alone :)

For Spider-Man I take it you didn't missed the Marvel official channel, there are more than 4 million views there haha.

I wish Shadow of the Colossus would be even higher but hey that's not bad at all.

I really don't understand what people see in Days Gone. Is it just popular because Sony's trying to hype it up or are people genuinely interested in it? It looks like the most run-of-the-mill game shown at Sony's conference. Pretty much the whole gameplay demo was just generic open world driving, QTE punching (all scripted, you aren't choosing which punches you're doing), and baby's first stealth game. It didn't even look good last year.

b0bbyJ03

My cousin who hasn't played a fucking game since like the PS2 called me up excited out of the fucking blue telling me he just watched the Spiderman trailer and it reminded him of the PS2 spiderman games.

Shit's weird, that game's gonna be a monster.

Had a similar experience. One of my close friends mentioned it to me and he doesn't own a console.

SgtCobra

Days Gone gonna be fairly big.
I think so too. As we've seen in the past, GAFs interests do not always align with what 95% of the consumers like.
Members here can wonder what people like about this game as many times as they like but the reality is that not everyone frequents gaming forums or uses Steam, shocking, I know.

Realeza

Banned
I really don't understand what people see in Days Gone. Is it just popular because Sony's trying to hype it up or are people genuinely interested in it? It looks like the most run-of-the-mill game shown at Sony's conference. Pretty much the whole gameplay demo was just generic open world driving, QTE punching (all scripted, you aren't choosing which punches you're doing), and baby's first stealth game. It didn't even look good last year.

It looks like any other zombie game you'd find on steam for cheap.

bombshell

Sony is looking to have 3 monster sellers with Spider-Man, God of War and Days Gone.

Over 10 millions views for Spider-Man wow.

BigEmil

Days Gone so generic and cinematic boring should be canned and not make a sequel

Quonny

I'm genuinely interested in it. It has all the look of a solid 8/10 with some interesting zombie mechanics thrown in.

That doesn't mean it'll be my GOTY, but it's a familiar looking setting with broad appeal. It looks fun, and the graphics are nice, so it's not surprising it has a lot of views and interest from the general public.

Elfstruck

Wow, people enjoyed watching an open world in a post-apocalyptic setting where you could approach the game in different ways... People surely doesn't have taste in gaming.

It's a formula people like, though, right? There seems to be lots of dynamism to the open world, and while we've seen it all before from the likes of Ubisoft, games like Far Cry and Watch Dogs are pretty popular. So I kinda get why it may be resonating outside of the GAF bubble.

studyguy

Had a similar experience. One of my close friends mentioned it to me and he doesn't own a console.

Yeah shit's crazy, he doesn't even own a console either but was saying he wanted to play it, if I was gonna get it. Like the appeal must run pretty deep, I think the game looked cool, but he made it sound like it was the second coming.

Man, are zombies still THAT big of a thing? With everyone talking about how derivative Day's Gone is, you'd think there be less excitement over it

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Days Gone is the most interesting thing to me from that list. I thought zombies were old hat by now... but maybe not. Have found everything shown so far to be pretty uninspiring myself

You can remove Kingdom Hearts III from that list. It was shown at the concert not E3. Also Spider-Man is probably be the highest selling game in the history of Sony sans Gran Turismo,

Jigolo

It took Sony a little while to update their youtube page with the new trailers this year. Last year it felt like 1-2 minutes after it was announced on stage it was on their official youtube page. Therefore many views went to reupload channels rather than Sonys.

Nintendo page was updated very quickly on the other hand. Good job.

I don't believe the correlation of more views = more sales thing.

silva1991

Thanks OP for actually making an effort in this

People are starving for a good Spidey game.

Same reason Ghost Recon Wildlands is the biggest and best selling game of the year. Mainstream love it.

You can remove Kingdom Hearts III from that list. It was shown at the concert not E3. Also Spider-Man is probably be the highest selling game in the history of Sony sans Gran Turismo,

My criteria included "pre-E3", which means that so long as it's within the week before E3, I will include it.

Top Bottom