• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC World Struggles To Build PC for $500 to match XOX

shandy706

Duh?

You're not getting the same performance and hardware for the same price right now.

I'm not even a PC guy, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that the PC community will figure out a build that'll match, and even surpass the XBONEX by November.

Matching the same "hardware" is near impossible price wise. As is 4k/60 in the games that will run at that on X1X. Maybe by the end of the year.

hwy_61

Banned
I'm not even a PC guy, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that the PC community will figure out a build that'll match, and even surpass the XBONEX by November.

iNvid02

Shouldn't take too long, but still I never understood this, it's never going to be a 1:1 comparison, a PC is a multi function device that is capable of far more than a console

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Another one that misses the UHD drive & gamepad.

Edit: OK got the UHD drive in build#2 but still missing the gamepad

Grief.exe

It's difficult to compare since you can technically underperform the Xbox One X/PS4 Pro GPU and still get better real world performance due to the weak CPU.

Which should be obvious, to anyone with an understanding of economics. Microsoft is selling this thing at cost, and is able to buy components in bulk for a rate that no consumer can match. They also develop the OS in house, so it costs them nothing to include. They're also producing the controller, so that's added to the package for cost of parts and labor.

No consumer machine is going to beat it on entry price. That's the entire point of the console infrastructure. Microsoft makes money on software, so they're fine with making less profit on hardware.

But since fanboys for the platform have to insist PC gaming is superior in every single possible way - they'll fight this to their dying breath.

Tagyhag

Yeah pound for pound, it's a great value for the device. However, people can't forget that the PC hardware space changes every few months. I can guarantee that both their builds shown will be cheaper by November.

The 2nd build not as cheap of course, but still cheaper.

not when you try to copy both feature set and the cost at the same time, at least. That might be a first, given how often PC gamers tout the benefits that console fans miss out on

This I don't understand though, the XOX is still missing the PC benefits.

It's typically really hard to match Price/Performance with a console at launch with brand new parts. Which makes sense, if you could then MS could just take equivalents of those parts, assemble them, and sell them for a lower price point due to the benefits of mass production/transportation/selling at parity.

I'm sure in half a year or so somebody will figure something out though.

Akronis

Which should be obvious, to anyone with an understanding of economics. Microsoft is selling this thing at cost, and is able to buy components in bulk for a rate that no consumer can match. They also develop the OS in house, so it costs them nothing to include. They're also producing the controller, so that's added to the package for cost of parts and labor.

No consumer machine is going to beat it on entry price. That's the entire point of the console infrastructure. Microsoft makes money on software, so they're fine with making less profit on hardware.

But since fanboys for the platform have to insist PC gaming is superior in every single possible way - they'll fight this to their dying breath.

oh man, we're getting the thread off to a great start already.

leeh

Either the vendors are releasing new high performance budget cards, or some PC enthusiast can make high-end graphics cards in his basement if that's true.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
This is very stupid since you can't buy an XboneX at $500 either. Do the same thing in November, when the thing is available to consumers, and it will be much closer.

borges

Banned
Not only is not considering the price of the controller, but also is using boards without integrated wifi.
And also, I have serious doubts that those PCs will be able to run Forza 7 at 4k, 60fps with Xbox One X image quality.

Nephtes

PC community already has rigs that surpass X1X...
But not for $500 or less, which is the point of the article...

singhr1

Yeah pound for pound, it's a great value for the device. However, people can't forget that the PC hardware space changes every few months. I can guarantee that both their builds shown will be cheaper by November.

The 2nd build not as cheap of course, but still cheaper.

This I don't understand though, the XOX is still missing the PC benefits.

But also missing the difficulties of PC gaming. You win some you lose some.

Polk

Without coupons/sales it might be difficult to match bulk prices and retail in next 4-6 months.
But we'll know more after XBX will be released and we could benchmark actual games on both platforms.

M.D

What is 'Xbox One X performance'? The thing is not out yet, we don't know how it performs and we don't have any actual data to evaluate its performance

Aselith

Meanwhile, Microsoft World struggles to Build The List of Exclusives that PC has available. There are different tradeoffs for any system. PC tends to save you money on the backend if you hunt for deals so overall it's still the best deal going if you're a hardcore enthusiast.

LordRaptor

The XOXO isn't a new console though.

There's like, literally no point in trying to match the paper specs if the majority of games on XOXO are just double res X1 titles.

If they are trying to match the Xbox One X why did they choose the AMD FX-8300 as CPU?

And the Xbox One X is not available yet. They can try to configure a build in November.

Give it a few months to a year. The CPU is also already a limiting factor. PC is open, and modular etc. We can hash out this whole argument again. But by this point we already know it won't take long and you get a lot more with a PC at the cost of some ease of use.(Arguable to what amount, but GAF entirely overblows this imo).

I am hugely sceptical that third parties are going to be putting in work to leverage an XBX optimised port when they can't be arsed to so the same for the larger PS4Pro userbase.
Plenty of devs don't do the work for the PC audience either, so this feels like a moot point.

Shouldn't take too long, but still I never understood this, it's never going to be a 1:1 comparison, a PC is a multi function device that is capable of far more than a console

Not only that but they're buying parts at retail prices. MS isn't paying retail prices for the stuff going into their box. They have contracts with suppliers and vendors and pay based on quantity, etc.

If the cost of the off the shelf PC parts costed what MS paid per item it would be much easier. Not only that but isn't the XOX going to sell at a loss initially?

Strootman

I am hugely sceptical that third parties are going to be putting in work to leverage an XBX optimised port when they can't be arsed to so the same for the larger PS4Pro userbase.

Scorpio

giphy.gif

LordRaptor

Plenty of devs don't do the work for the PC audience either, so this feels like a moot point.

They don't need to, they expose settings and leave it to end users.
I am even more sceptical that anyone at Xbox or the majority of their userbase want to see Pc style configuration screens in their console games.

Top Bottom