• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VW to finally build a modern version of the Type 2 (Microbus)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's no secret that after Dieselgate, VW is pretty desperate to reinvent themselves, and they're making a bold move into electric. And what better way to get some goodwill than to put the Minibus back into production after years of concepts? Concept pictured below:

I.D.-BUZZ-Concept-Van-RV.jpg

id_buzz_concept_6737.jpg

In an effort to reinvent itself and move past its current diesel-darkened image, Volkswagen is going all-in on electric vehicles. In the next few years, the German automaker hopes to have a full lineup of EVs, including a modern version of the much-loved Type 2, better known as the Microbus. Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess confirmed to Auto Express that the I.D. Buzz concept from the Detroit Auto Show is going into production.

The I.D. Buzz is built on Volkswagen's new MEB modular electric car platform. The styling, like that of the Beetle, is a mix of modern and retro, providing enough style to harken back to the T1-generation Microbus without being a straight copy and paste design. When it arrives, expect the styling to be toned down from what you see here. Don't look for a production version anytime soon. Expect the I.D. Buzz to arrive in 2020 at the earliest.

Source.

- - - - -

Some looks at the concepts over the years that teased the return of the Minibus, but never were slated for production:

2001 Volkswagen Microbus Concept

veiq62klfg5euhqla09i.jpg

2011 Volkswagen Bulli Concept

bulli-1.jpg

2016 Volkswagen Budd-E Concept

001-vw-budd-e-concept-1.jpg

lem0n

VW have been cock-teasing a new Bus for ages it seems. Will they actually pull through? Also, seems like they should be concentrating on moving volume and making money right now with Dieselgate still fresh.. I feel like enthusiast models are not what they need right now, but who knows.. could sell gangbusters...

5taquitos

Not a fan, it just looks like a van with more windows.

Why not just remake the original lines, maybe smoothing or rounding here and there?

Lil Marco

Banned
Can probably fit a nice big 100-120kwh battery under there, and have it be affordable too since this will be the future and we can assume lower manufacturing costs + economies of scale

Zertez

VW has tried for decades to bring the microbus back. Every 3 or 4 yrs they show off a concept and nothing happens. I've owned quite a few spilties and bubble windows and as much as I would like to see a modern camper, not sure how viable it would be in the US at this time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
VW has tried for decades to bring the microbus back. Every 3 or 4 yrs they show off a concept and nothing happens. I've owned quite a few spilties and bubble windows and as much as I would like to see a modern camper, not sure how viable it would be in the US at this time.

If they show an ergonomic, ecological affordable self contained airstream it could be a world beater. They can also innovate with cartridge style add ons - stoves, showers, beds, etc.

If I was them I'd do awd too.

No brainer.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'll believe it when I see it in US showrooms. VW has been teasing this idea for many years, and further has a long history of keeping many models away from the US market. So, we'll see, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

They already have a really good camper van. They don't even bring it to the US.

xrnzaaas

The 2018 concept looks nice, so does the 2011 one. Only the 2016 one is bad. But who cares, all modern VW cars are as boring as it gets so I don't expect something cool to come out of this. Even the current Beetle is a boring car and the most exciting thing about it are retro rims.

Morat

Banned
Growing up we had a camper conversion one, it was fantastic. Hopefully that will be possible with the new model as well.

Timbuktu

Not sure why by that new concept feels quite Japanese. I guess we don't really have many family vehicles like this in Europe nowadays, unlike Toyota Alphard/Vellfire that seem to be everywhere in Japan/ Hong Kong.

The old style has charm. The new one is just the usual modern bastardization of a timeless design.

Take that new shit, stuff it in the body of the old shit.

16 years later and the first microbus concept still is as gorgeous and modern as then.

If only they had turned this into a production model, they'd have all the money. The market was ready, considering the mini and Fiat 500 also reinventing old concepts and retro design.

Donos

What for. There is already the T6 California. Sure, it's bigger than the Type-2, but the new concept is probably going to be bigger too.

The new concept looks almost not like the original anymore. Use the old design with new innards or let it be.

It's about to do some serious numbers, especially with so many people who are claiming they are "minimalist" and would rather live in a van and travel around.

Burai

shitonmychest57
What for. There is already the T6 California. Sure, it's bigger than the Type-2, but the new concept is probably going to be bigger too.

The new concept looks almost not like the original anymore. Use the old design with new innards or let it be.

Yup. Surfers have been using the Caravelle/Transporter for years. There's literally no need for a new bus.

Nikodemos

16 years later and the first microbus concept still is as gorgeous and modern as then.

If only they had turned this into a production model, they'd have all the money. The market was ready, considering the mini and Fiat 500 also reinventing old concepts and retro design.
There was also the Citroen C3 with its neo-retro design, which sold very nice numbers at the time.

Randam

It will be electric like all the other id cars too.

But just like the new beetle it will be way more expensive than the original.

Top Bottom