• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Fes |OT| Free GAF-made games for any 3DS owner inside!

Dingens

woah! didn't even know there was dlc available...
but I probably should've expected it. Doesn't look half bad either, but I'd have preferred an option to load your own assets... especially midis

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Downloaded the player just to see if anything at all was up for download and found a game called The Demo of Demos (or something like that).

For a game designed to demonstrate the features, it didn't exactly do a good job. The creator didn't even know what switches are (I assume FES has something as essential as switches). In some ways it was more fun playing it just to see the common newbie errors made.

As someone who grew up on 2k, the console versions have always been a bit weird to me, since you're completely limited to the RTP files. The portability aspect could be cool. Perhaps if this game crashes in price I may buy it for the novelty.

Also very strange how the map is always centred on the player, so when you approach the edge of a map, instead of walking towards the edge of the screen, you just have a black void. Maybe the later RPGM did this too. Kind of stopped after XP.

Well I'll keep an eye on this thread in case anyone manages to find a code for a reasonable little game.

P.S. Slimes with skulls are way to scary for a beginner enemy. Give me my simple ones for the 2k days!

Amalthea

Banned
Yeah, I hope there will be some cutesy enemies as DLC. The standart enemies are some Dark Souls shit.

And switches should be a thing since there are graphic tiles for them.

Looking forward to play about half an hour of each game before moving on.

I might attempt to create something with it too, but the rather limited toolbox isn't too exciting.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Excellent ty. Do we know if dlc for Fes will be free or paid content? Since just fantasy assests are with game.

Well if you look on the japanese dlc site some content is free .

Like modern times.

It looks like 50-50

fernoca

The game was just released in EU and will be released next week in NA. So the thread not having much life and the lack of impressions is a combination lf that.

Guess next week should be a better indicator...add a few more days as people get used to the game/maker.

Some free, mostly paid. Only like $2-$5 for each pack though depending on how much was included.

I assume that the player app will just include all this stuff for free, right?

--

I'd like to get this, does anyone know how restrictive the filesize limit is? 1152kb doesn't sound like loads, but obviously it's hard to know given the fact that I've never played anything like this before.

If you're gonna make an RPG you'd want it to last at least a couple of hours, is that achievable?

I assume that the player app will just include all this stuff for free, right?

--

I'd like to get this, does anyone know how restrictive the filesize limit is? 1152kb doesn't sound like loads, but obviously it's hard to know given the fact that I've never played anything like this before.

If you're gonna make an RPG you'd want it to last at least a couple of hours, is that achievable?
The Player App should allow you to play any game no matter what DLC the creator used when making it.
There are a few games on the servers already from reviewers that are 1-2 hours long and take up 16-40% of the file limit so I could see an 8-10 hour game being doable. Even longer with some creative scripting and reuse of areas.

Adventageous

Neo Member
The Player App should allow you to play any game no matter what DLC the creator used when making it.
There are a few games on the servers already from reviewers that are 1-2 hours long and take up 16-40% of the file limit so I could see an 8-10 hour game being doable. Even longer with some creative scripting and reuse of areas.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Academonic is a game with the updated tag. It has three towns, a few free-standing buildings with events and one tower with monsters and a boss in it now. It has a relationship mechanic that allows special events between characters and some NPCs to be seen (and new skills or items earned if you make correct decisions in conversations). It's showing at 25% file limit at the moment. It's probably one that's at least two hours long.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Academonic is a game with the updated tag. It has three towns, a few free-standing buildings with events and one tower with monsters and a boss in it now. It has a relationship mechanic that allows special events between characters and some NPCs to be seen (and new skills or items earned if you make correct decisions in conversations). It's showing at 25% file limit at the moment. It's probably one that's at least two hours long.
Yeah! Academonic is one of the ones I downloaded to try.
The biggest use of memory in these games is in the assets. So if many are reused you can extend the length of a game with text and events. Academonic is a fun start that shows what it's possible to do with the system. I haven't played the other game the people at Michibiku made but I likely will give it a shot while I plan out my own first RPG to make with Fes.

Holy shit that Seafoam Gaming review is almost IGN reviewing Football Manager tier. It's terrible and seems to miss the point of the game.

Conclusion is basically "It's free to play games that other people make. Don't buy it unless you like making RPGs."

ShyMel

I'm excited for this release. I still need to pre-order my copy but I plan on trying out some of the games other people make when they go up.

Just reading about this game for the first time now but I'm totally in! will buy on release date!! I can't promise it will make anyone cry like the guy whos gonna build the Neogaf game haha, but I'll try it out.

Samemind

People type out every bit of text with the stylus, yeah. Imagine what that must have been like in Japanese with all the different characters!
It would be way faster, I think. All the kanji, which comprise 99.99999...% of what you think as japanese characters are typed in via basic kana. Most words would be somewhere between 1 and 6 characters, +1 tap for the word suggestion. And no need for spaces.

Spukc

well i bought all the dlc
neogaf better be ready for my meme rpg
with super duper memes and inside jokes

like scorpio

woopWOOP

Oh, this is out here already?
Memories of fooling around in RPGM2k for half a decade almost got me to get this, but not allowing any modification to the RTP stuff is a downer. Also the monster sprites are a bit too hardcore, guess you'll need to wait for the chibi pack to make cuter RPGs :p

But hey, if any GAF folk finish anything I'm interested to play through it with the free player app for sure

Spukc

ok i am having serious problems with the in app purchases.
i bought all of them but somehow i still have stuff greyed out !

I'm gonna keep an eye on this one. Being able to make an RPG on the go is tempting, especially since all the games are playable to everyone.

Subbed.

Is Fes actually out in Europe on the Eshop ? I'm in Australia and the eshop shows the 27th for me. I figure it must be out somewhere since the player is available in both EU and US.

Is Fes actually out in Europe on the Eshop ? I'm in Australia and the eshop shows the 27th for me. I figure it must be out somewhere since the player is available in both EU and US.
Amazon.de sells it. Currently at 1/5 stars out of 3 reviews :/

I think it's cool to have RPG Maker "on the go" but it also feels very pointless when you can make better games on the PC. Still tempted to get it, lol.

Spukc

get it only if you are creative;) it's a cool toy to tinker with i wasted like 10+ hours allready

Robin64

Nabbed a random one that someone had put up, something about "Blaze the Dragon", I forget the actual title. The first enemy obliterated me. Can't recommend that one at all, lol.

Spukc

Nabbed a random one that someone had put up, something about "Blaze the Dragon", I forget the actual title. The first enemy obliterated me. Can't recommend that one at all, lol.

haha i played one with a huuge golem at the start that one trashed me in 1 hit ,
went to a magical green mountain afterwards,
guys asked me if i wanted a fight i said pls dont kill me.

dude gave me a key i went to a house and got 4 epic treasures ,.,.
equipped em all.

went back to golem got trashed XD

adroit

ok i am having serious problems with the in app purchases.
i bought all of them but somehow i still have stuff greyed out !

Are asset sets usable only in their associated world? I.e., you can only use sci-fi assets if you start with a sci-fi world? Just a wild guess. I don't have the game yet.

Top Bottom