• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 on XOX can go above 4K with Dyanmic Superscaling

Izuna

Banned
edit: Long post explanation here #285

PC Titanfall 2 has had this for a little while now, but it's nice to hear it's coming to console (as confirmed here by a dev):

When it comes to X1X it means there are times it'll render at higher than 4K and then downsample to whatever resolution the X1X is outputting to. Its is truly glorious on a 4K display. This quote will come back to haunt me, I'm sure, but there were times on Wargames last time I was testing where it was rendering at ~3200p (6K?) internally. The internal render resolution is dictated by the GPU load, so obviously there are no guarantees as to how often it renders at particular resolutions, but essentially we're using 100% GPU all the time.

I imagine this would be the first console title to ever do it.

image for scale
vfSgBrv.png

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I'm not too surprised. It is Source Engine after all. Pretty cool though.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I mean that's great and all but your TV isn't going to show that right?

Edit: nvm saw the downsampling part.

Pretty cool, nice to see that they're aiming to use all the GPU resources available by potentially dynamically supersampling the image, even at 4K.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I own this game on Xbone and I still haven't completed it...and I'm buying a 1X.

This news makes me very happy.

Damn!! This is nice and Mike Ybarra says they aren't even done optimizing the dev kits and some devs claim they got their dev kits just last month. More games will hit native 4K as devs get familiar with the new hardware. We still got 5 months until launch there is enough time.

Seems like a waste of resources. No? I guess if you have nothing else to do because you're inhibited by the performance (frame rate) of the lower-end system, then you might as well do this, but otherwise? Very small observable differences for a lot of extra work.

Gestault

That's just silly. And cool.

Though I wonder, if an AA solution is still needed for "ideal" IQ at the lower-end of the scale, how seemlessly can an engine disable that when it jumps into the extreme high-end of raw rendering+supersampling where it ceases to be useful?

Izuna

Banned
Seems like a waste of resources. No? I guess if you have nothing else to do because you're inhibited by the performance (frame rate) of the lower-end system, then you might as well do this, but otherwise? Very small observable differences for a lot of extra work.

Well, what from I can tell from the PC version, the biggest hit to performance is the increase in shadow quality or LoD. I'd imagine that XOX wouldn't be able to do native 4k with Ultra settings at a constant 60 on various MP maps, so after they scale it down so the worst area runs 60, they can have this to take advantage of areas like the campaign.

lmao

RomeoDog

Banned
I'm playing through titanfall 2 really slowly and started the narrative that the game is a half life series sequel because it uses the source engine. Its a good single player, easy and entertaining.

I wonder if their finally moving to frostbite for their starwars game. I'd prefer seeing how much further they can take source.

Also A thought about this 6k coment. It sounds to me like the dev is playing on a xbox1x dev kit which is even more powerful than the main unit.

The game is already 60fps and any power that goes towards the res bump would have hardly any part in terms of a performance gain. Also, the jump from what the Xbone runs it at to 1440p, even, is a very noticeable difference.

Hawk269

I assume he means it is hitting this on the dev kit correct? Dev kit has 44 CU's compared to the retail that has 40 CU's. At the clock speed they are running it at, those extra 4 CU's are most likely what it pushing it that far. I would love to hear what it hits on the consumer version, unless this test they are doing is running on the consumer version.

FyreWulff

if you've got the GPU pegged at 100% load then you're not wasting resources if it can hit 6k and still render a frame in time. That's one of the beauties of dynamic resolution and why it makes so much sense to use it.

Bit of a shame since the One is using HDMI. If they made a displayport version you could actually get pretty close to actually seeing that resolution natively if you had the right display.

Izuna

Banned
American here and I can't stand crispy bacon! Chewy all the way!

Wait, chewy?

have a seat

I assume he means it is hitting this on the dev kit correct? Dev kit has 44 CU's compared to the retail that has 40 CU's. At the clock speed they are running it at, those extra 4 CU's are most likely what it pushing it that far. I would love to hear what it hits on the consumer version, unless this test they are doing is running on the consumer version.

I'd imagine they have a way to test what it would run like on the consumer version from the dev kit.

if you've got the GPU pegged at 100% load then you're not wasting resources if it can hit 6k and still render a frame in time. That's one of the beauties of dynamic resolution and why it makes so much sense to use it.

Bit of a shame since the One is using HDMI. If they made a displayport version you could actually get pretty close to actually seeing that resolution natively if you had the right display.

But since displays themselves haven't reached that point, supersampling is just fine. Though, I would love the move to displayport at least for elitists.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Wait, chewy?

have a seat

I prefer chewy, my wife prefers crispy. She doesn't play anything but casual games on her Kindle Fire. She wouldn't buy a PC or Console for games. Clearly, she is wrong.

On topic, So, now we're getting into 6K on this console eh? The times we live in.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Pretty crazy resolution.

Would this lend more credence to the point of XBOX X doing more native 4k games than people expected it could?

pieface

Will definitely be giving this game a go.

This console must be a bit of a monster, I do wonder whether it could have handled Destiny at 60FPS.

Guess that's a can of worms though.

Top Bottom