• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frantics - PS4 exclusive party mini-games | Smartphones used as controllers

Blue Lou

http://napnokgames.com/news/frantics.html

Frantics is a PlayLink party-game, developed by NapNok Games in partnership with Sony XDev. The game is a mini-games collection with genres ranging from frenetic action arena brawls to equally frenetic strategic turn based games. The challenges are hosted by a scheming, manipulative and... charmingly unfair Fox. He will do anything to stir up controversy, encourage backstabbing and incite shenanigans. All players fight to most crowns throughout the game – but the Fox has introduced a secondary currency, coins, that can be used for bribery, backstabbing, sabotaging and all kind of shenanigans.

Features

• A twisted clay world, where everything can happen The player characters just invite being whacked with baseball bats, flattened by steam rollers or thrown from high cliffs- in ouchy but ultimately harmless fun!
  • 15 frenetic minigames plus Fox’s super evil bonus challenges These mini-games are less about quick reflexes and precise controls and more about manipulating and outfoxing each other in dastardly ways.
  • Explore the full range of using smartphones as intuitive controllers Shake, tilt, swipe, use the camera and watch a private screen for secret information and missions as you play in a cunning new way.
  • Choose between 12 different and thoroughly messed up animal characters Each one being fully customizable with intuitive shake-’n’-makeTM functionality (final result may turn really weird tho).

Dajana Dimovska said:
“We are thrilled and excited to finally be able to talk about FRANTICS, one of the first exclusive PlayLink titles. PlayLink is an exciting new way to play which combines your smartphone, TV and PS4. Using the smartphone as a control interface for PS4 games creates opportunities for refreshingly fun and innovative experiences which is a perfect fit for us and what we do best. Our PlayLink party-game, FRANTICS, is in many ways a core NAPNOK GAMES project: It is deeply social, it is wacky and far-out and it explores interesting new technologies and interfaces.”

Lau Korsgaard said:
“We wanted to make a game that the typical PS4 owner could play with their non-gamer friends and family. The game is super competitive, but not in the usual skill-based ways - the winner is often not the one who is best at controlling the game, but the one who is best at controlling the other players.”

I heard about this on the most recent IGN UK podcast. I was intrigued and it didn't have a thread, so here we are.

ArsTechnica review (link):

While the minigames won't win any awards for originality, they are lots of fun. The parachuting is particularly entertaining, especially as the explosive dynamite is so easily passed from player to player by bumping into each other. Another nice touch is the host of Frantics, a wily British fox, who's able to dish out secret quests by calling one of the players directly on his or her phone or by sending a pseudo text message (in my case, the quest was to prevent one of the other players winning a minigame).

There's a 15 second video on the NapNok website header: http://napnokgames.com/img/frantics-bg-video.mp4

2MxvjyO.gif

rhoNt1b.gif

91FPlxM.gif

8sciceo.gif

Oh so this is from the studio who made Affordable Space Adventures.

They also did the really unique Wii U party Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party.

Affordable Space Adventures was codeveloped by Nifflas who did Knytt Underground.

I love their work and love unique control schemes but if this requires the internet to work I'm probably out. I don't want to get invested in a game that won't work at some point.

Awesome, I was wondering when there would be more information about the PlayLink titles. Now hoping for a release date, my group and I are ready for this and Knowledge is Power (and to a much lesser extend, That's You).

These would go great alongside the Jackbox series.

Shin-Ra

If this is a versus minigame, I'm not sure how mounting your friends helps, but its different!

Slu2GHl.gif

The clay art's really good, just let down on the rendering side by very low-res depth of field causing blurry aliased outlines.

Top Bottom