• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists create fluid with negative mass in lab

Kimawolf

https://news.wsu.edu/2017/04/10/negative-mass-created-at-wsu/
Washington State University physicists have created a fluid with negative mass, which is exactly what it sounds like. Push it, and unlike every physical object in the world we know, it doesn’t accelerate in the direction it was pushed. It accelerates backwards.

The phenomenon is rarely created in laboratory conditions and can be used to explore some of the more challenging concepts of the cosmos, said Michael Forbes, a WSU assistant professor of physics and astronomy and an affiliate assistant professor at the University of Washington. The research appears today in the journal Physical Review Letters, where it is featured as an “Editor’s Suggestion.”
Hypothetically, matter can have negative mass in the same sense that an electric charge can be either negative or positive. People rarely think in these terms, and our everyday world sees only the positive aspects of Isaac Newton’s Second Law of Motion, in which a force is equal to the mass of an object times its acceleration, or F=ma.
In other words, if you push an object, it will accelerate in the direction you’re pushing it. Mass will accelerate in the direction of the force.
“That’s what most things that we’re used to do,” said Forbes, hinting at the bizarreness to come. “With negative mass, if you push something, it accelerates toward you.”

To create negative mass, the researchers applied a second set of lasers that kicked the atoms back and forth and changed the way they spin. Now when the rubidium rushes out fast enough, if behaves as if it has negative mass.

“Once you push, it accelerates backwards,” said Forbes, who acted as a theorist analyzing the system. “It looks like the rubidium hits an invisible wall.”

So ya that totally happened. Its tough to comprehend something which reacts opposite of how you expect. Poke it and instead of going away it comes towards you.

So i guess make a ball of the stuff and throw it and it comes towards you not away.

127910.gif

vypek

This sounds really familiar. I can't tell if we had a thread on this or if I read it or something extremely similar recently.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Does this mean a force acting in the direction opposite to what you decide to be the positive direction would cause the fluid to go away? In other terms, would pulling the liquid cause it to move away from you?

SpaceWolf

Banned
Looking forward to hearing all about how the cleaning boy ended up getting superpowers there while doing the overnight shift.

danowat

Banned
Rösti;241954753 said:
Does this mean a force acting in the direction opposite to what you decide to be the positive direction would cause the fluid to go away? In other terms, would pulling the liquid cause it to move away from you?

If so, there goes Newtons 3rd law!!

I am guessing it only behaves as if it has negative mass for some reason, and that the article is being sensationalist (like most science articles). I think this because wouldn't negative mass also result in the nullification (or reversal) of gravitational force on the object?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So I woke up to go to the bathroom. Planned to head right back to sleep. But this article made my brain itch and now sleep seems impossible. Damnit all, negative mass fluids foil me once again.

ag-my001

I am guessing it only behaves as if it has negative mass for some reason, and that the article is being sensationalist (like most science articles). I think this because wouldn't negative mass also result in the nullification (or reversal) of gravitational force on the object?
Yep. In the actual article abstract, provided just below the press release, the authors always phrase it as "negative effective mass". So it's acting as if the mass were negative, even though it isn't really. I'd be interested to know "how negative" (I.e. equal but opposite, or somewhere between there and "zero mass"), but I don't have access to that journal.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Movies or I don't believe it. You wouldn't even be able to make it move backwards, the moment you do it would work with the exact same force against your hand. So it would actually be totally immobile.

Despera

Banned
So what I understand is that they used a set of lasers to accelerate Rubidium atoms to the point where any further attempts to accelerate them resulted in their deceleration, indicating where mass approached 0 and then went into -ve values.

KoopaTheCasual

Yup, I'm sick of these stupid editorialized headlines. In no way is "negative mass" the same thing as "effectively negative mass"

I really wish there was a fine specifically for journals/papers that sensationalize the shit out of research findings. They do a disservice to the field, as well to potential for public to actually engage with the updates.
This sounds really familiar. I can't tell if we had a thread on this or if I read it or something extremely similar recently.
Nah, pretty sure you're right and we had a thread on this a couple weeks back.

SpaceWolf

Banned
wat is she watting about in this scene? Pederasty obviously but wat is the wat circumstance specifically?

Meryl Streep is all like, "The priest in question has your son!" and Viola Davis explodes with "LET HIM HAVE HIM, THEN!" , leading to Meryl Streep's stunned "wat".

Yup, I'm sick of these stupid editorialized headlines. In no way is "negative mass" the same thing as "effectively negative mass"

I really wish there was a fine specifically for journals/papers that sensationalize the shit out of research findings. They do a disservice to the field, as well to potential for public to actually engage with the updates.

To be fair, so do people who only read the headlines and respond without actually reading the article / study.

Koren

So i guess make a ball of the stuff and throw it and it comes towards you not away.
If it reacts in terms of acceleration in the opposite direction of the force, you couldn't throw it away... and if you could throw it away, it would go on the same direction (but upwards). The most basic comparison would be that such a ball would come to you if you blow at it instead of going away (but that's something you can already do with a clever shape for the object, I think)

And I doubt you can convert it into macroscopic objects easily, or you would probably break the entropy rule.

It's probably the same kind of system as those systems whose temperature decrease when you heat them...

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So something that moves backwards no matter how much you try to move forward?

We've had it in the US since January.

Top Bottom