• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNNER |OT| - Ike, Death, & Sally the Space Whale go platforming hardcore (Switch)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
screenshot_20170628-16buwj.png

GoNNER Switch Announcement Trailer

What is GoNNER?

GoNNER is a tough as hell procedurally-generated 2D platformer with roguelike elements, following the largely misunderstood and altruistic Ikk on a journey to cheer up his only friend in this world—a giant landbound whale named Sally—by searching for just the right trinket in the deep and dark places nearby.

With Death as his mentor, supplying both a multitude of abilities and arsenal for Ikk to use, Ikk traverses an ever-changing land full of unwieldy creatures who don't appreciate his trespassing or his friend Sally. Several different environments, arduous bosses, hidden secrets, multiple endings, and more await Ikk on his journey to make one person happy even if it kills him—which it certainly will.

GoNNER features:

- UNLOCKS! You'll be able to choose from a variety of passive and active abilities at the beginning of each run so be sure to experiment with all of them and find the play style that best suits you.

- SECRETS! Secret areas exist in the world of GoNNER, and these areas will get you different items that you can then always use from the beginning of each run. We're not going to tell you how you get to these areas or what the criteria is for even finding them because secrets, duh.

- SOUNDS! It has them!

- LEADERBOARDS! Kill creatures, get combos, score points, and brag to your friends how much better you are than them.

- MUSIC! It's really freaking good.

Details

http://www.gonnergame.com

Art in Heart is a new studio founded by programmer, game designer, and artist Ditto (Planeter, Hets). The studio's first project, GoNNER, will be the first commercial release for Ditto after having released several smaller and well-regarded prototypes on itch.io.

Joining Ditto on GoNNER is sound designer Martin Kvale, who met Ditto by the purest of luck at a visual arts festival in Karlshamn, Sweden, when he mistakenly thought Ditto was a different friend of his. A few drinks later, it didn't matter anymore. Joar Renolen, a talented composer and longtime friend of Martin's, joined the team shortly after.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/gonner-switch

Release Date - 6/29/17 on Nintendo eShop
Price - $9.99

Vanillalite

Uhh I feel like I'm missing some info?

It's not actually out yet in the West so I doubt anyone of us has played the Switch version (it's been out on Steam).

Would anyone (Who's played the PC version) recommend this game on replay value alone? I really enjoy Binding of Isaac because it has a billion unlocks and can be played for tons of hours, I like how this game looks and I just want it to last a while.

Uhh I feel like I'm missing some info?

It's not actually out yet in the West so I doubt anyone of us has played the Switch version (it's been out on Steam).

It's due out in the West tomorrow, but Japan has already updated their games. So normally, when a game that I am looking forward to is available on the Japan eshop (and it had English) I usually pick it up.

I wouldn't think there would be a difference but maybe you are right and because it isn't widely available yet that everything would be fine tomorrow.

epmode

I've been playing this on PC for a while. It's kind of great. One of the few roguelites that keeps me coming back.

edit: FORGOT TO MENTION THE MUSIC AND SOUND EFFECTS. It's like Mouse on Mars made a game. Good stuff.

Some shots in the video I can tell what's going on and other shots just make me wonder what the fuck is happening here. Im going to need a few solid reviews and maybe a tutorial before I put the cash down.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Would anyone (Who's played the PC version) recommend this game on replay value alone? I really enjoy Binding of Isaac because it has a billion unlocks and can be played for tons of hours, I like how this game looks and I just want it to last a while.

It's nowhere comparable to Isaac in terms of content. There are multiple heads and weapons to unlock but the game is more arcadey and pure. Do a run, focus on racking that killstreak combo and net that high score. It's structured a lot like Downwell in that sense. I still recommend it though, but I think the average player will get 15-30 hours out of this before moving on.

zenspider

Tomorrow? Damn! Is that a surprise, or did I miss an announcement? It's pennies on Steam right now, but I wanted to wait on the Switch release.

Mdk7

Finally I can play this game, looks super intriguing.
And I feel some Downwell vibes looking at it, so obviously that's a big plus there.

Protome

Tomorrow? Damn! Is that a surprise, or did I miss an announcement? It's pennies on Steam right now, but I wanted to wait on the Switch release.

You missed an announcement. It actually got delayed, it was meant to come out a few weeks back. I'm the exact same, skipped it on Steam to wait for Switch just like Hollow Knight.

Terrified

Picked this up this morning, and managed to get a couple of runs in. It's fun, but I feel like there's a real lack of information on how to play. It's fun, but I feel a touch lost with it beyond shooting monsters or jumping on their heads...

Haunted

Awesome!

This was supposed to come out 4 weeks ago and quietly got delayed to TBA, glad it's here now, I do want something new to play on the Switch and roguelites are a perfect fit for the platform, imo.

Haunted

Picked this up this morning, and managed to get a couple of runs in. It's fun, but I feel like there's a real lack of information on how to play. It's fun, but I feel a touch lost with it beyond shooting monsters or jumping on their heads...
Thank goodness there's the internet, in this case this excellent guide on Steam.

Gameplay Mechanics
Ikk's Moveset

Ikk can move around by using the joystick and/or arrow buttons.
Ikk can jump by pressing the Jump button.
Ikk can shoot his weapon by pressing the shoot button.
Ikk can use his equipped item by pressing the use button.

Ikk can attack enemies by jumping on them, or by using a weapon ( or backpack ability )

but, he can also do the following :
Wall jump and shoot while on the wall
Hold UP while jumping to jump higher ( his body stretches up )
Hold DOWN to jump on enemies faster, and to duck
Turn his body angle with certain heads to shoot in any direction ( also can be used to boost you off the ground when firing down)
How the Score works
You need at least 1 Glyph to earn points

Each enemy has a value which is multiplied by the number of glyphs you have

(example)

One small bat with One glyph and No combo = 1 point 1x1= 1
One Spikey walker with 4 glyphs and No combo = 8 points 2x4= 8

Players can rack up points faster with each glyph that they are carrying.

That value is mulitplied by the combo meter. Rapidly killing enemies in quick succession will build up the combo meter, which will be indicated by the crossed out skulls in the top right corner. There is an audible sound cue for when your combo has ended, and the skulls will disappear.

You earn a glyph from enemies every time you fill the combo meter in the top right of the screen.
( 5 kills in a combo )
Taking Damage

Ikk can take damage from:
Making contact with enemies without jumping on their heads. Please not that jumping on the Porcupines in the Cave World will damage Ikk.
Being hit by enemy projectiles.
Falling down pitfalls, or off the screen. This will result in instant-death.

When Ikk takes damage, he will lose all his items and fall apart, unless he has the Brick Head equipped. Pressing jump will cause Ikk to immediately reform and stand up. Taking and further damage without Ikk regaining his head will result in death.

However, Ikk will not take damage for a few seconds after falling apart (it seems to be approximately 3 seconds. You will see a visual countdown indicator of one line, then two lines, and finally 3 lines from his body. There are also sound cues) if the jump button is not pressed.

Players can use this time to move Ikk to regain his head and gear (Ikk can pass unhindered through enemies without taking damage in this state) so that Ikk is no longer vulnerable to death (he will just fall apart again if he takes damage as long as he has at least his head.

If Ikk has no health, he will die instantly upon taking damage even if he regains his head).

Ghost Friends

Throughout certain actions in the game you can earn a ghost friend that will help you in a different way : 1 that helps collect your gear, one that picks up glyphs for you, and a third one that will carry a spare gun and shoots it whenever you shoot your weapon.

Terrified

Thank goodness there's the internet, in this case this excellent guide on Steam.

Cheers. I don't use Steam mind, as I don't currently own a PC. This stuff should really be included in the game in some format or other. I don't mind obscure (Hyper Light Drifter is one of my favourite recent games), but including zero information beyond a couple of button prompt tutorials is a bit weird. If I'm playing on Switch, I should be able to access info about the game on that console.

Hey ho. I'm having fun either way, so...

Haunted

Cheers. I don't use Steam mind, as I don't currently own a PC. This stuff should really be included in the game in some format or other. I don't mind obscure (Hyper Light Drifter is one of my favourite recent games), but including zero information beyond a couple of button prompt tutorials is a bit weird. If I'm playing on Switch, I should be able to access info about the game on that console.

Hey ho. I'm having fun either way, so...
You're not wrong. I guess they want people to find out for themselves by playing the game.

As long as it's fun! Excited to try it out for myself tomorrow.

69wpm

Played it since I got the review code. It’s fun, the sound is great (use headphones), but it really is quite hard. Once you get used to the thing that you can only shoot left and right, it becomes easier. You have to hang on walls often and jump on enemies like in a normal 2D platformer. Getting hit can be a bit painful when there are many enemies and you struggle to pick up your stuff.

I recoreded some offscreen gameplay and made it to level 3, where I quickly died. I was sitting a bit too far away to see what was going on thanks to the camera…

kAmui-

What worries me most about this game is the procedural nature. How is the level "design"? Is there still good and varied platforming even though the levels are procedurally generated?

Vanillalite

Played it since I got the review code. It’s fun, the sound is great (use headphones), but it really is quite hard. Once you get used to the thing that you can only shoot left and right, it becomes easier. You have to hang on walls often and jump on enemies like in a normal 2D platformer. Getting hit can be a bit painful when there are many enemies and you struggle to pick up your stuff.

I recoreded some offscreen gameplay and made it to level 3, where I quickly died. I was sitting a bit too far away to see what was going on thanks to the camera…

Thanks for the impressions!

It's nowhere comparable to Isaac in terms of content. There are multiple heads and weapons to unlock but the game is more arcadey and pure. Do a run, focus on racking that killstreak combo and net that high score. It's structured a lot like Downwell in that sense. I still recommend it though, but I think the average player will get 15-30 hours out of this before moving on.

Thank you! I really liked Downwell so it seems like I'd still like this enough. 15-30 hours for 10 dollars seems better than I thought anyway, so I think I'll be picking this up.

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it.

Vanillalite

This appears to be it so just post them here!

Interesting to see that NWR review. Their knock was similar to that post above. They felt it didn't explain anything.

NWR said:
Cons

Brutal difficulty
Ill-explained mechanics

Maybe that's something they could patch in.

bosh

AmA for this game is taking place on Reddit right now Here

Sally's creation is interesting:

Sally, the giant spacewhale, was originally going to be a "regular person" living in a house on top of the hill. I struggled with drawing a house, so I "settled" on drawing a huge face instead!

ryushe

Do I get this for $3 from the Steam sale or the Switch where I can play it anywhere? 🤔

I have a feeling I'm going to be asking myself this question many times throughout the Switch's life.

bosh

Do I get this for $3 from the Steam sale or the Switch where I can play it anywhere? 🤔

I have a feeling I'm going to be asking myself this question many times throughout the Switch's life.

My friends that don't have a Switch commonly tell me "So.... you are either rebuying games you already own or paying more to play them on the go?"

My answer is "... yes"

ryushe

Bought and played the STEAM version "demo" for about 20 minutes and yep, this game is legit.

Bought the Switch version and why the heck isn't jump mapped to the B button? Ugh

Withnail

This game is brutal but really good.

It's quite confusing at first but gets so much better when you realise how the scoring system works (the post above helped a lot). The combo mechanic is pretty addictive.

Also the music is awesome.

Hope it isn't too long until they get the leaderboards working.

gunstarhero

Really loving this - took me a bit to adjust to the button layout (no customization - grrrrr), but one I did, it got easier.

Reminds me a little of Issac - with it's secrets and obscurit. Still figuring out what the various items do, which adds to the charm imo. The difficulty jumps up once you clear the first chapter - but not in a bad way, just in a challenging way.

I immediately turns off anti aliasing - the game looks better without it.

overall rating: Bizzare as fuck! And well worth the $10 bucks!

Opa-Pa

Just got this on Switch and it's pretty good! Never heard of it before but I'm having a lot of fun discovering how everything works. It's indeed very reminiscent of Downwell in its gameplay.

Controls are weird and the lack of customization annoying, but A for jump and X for shooting is good enough, and I'm very picky about these things.

What worries me most about this game is the procedural nature. How is the level "design"? Is there still good and varied platforming even though the levels are procedurally generated?

The game is less about the platforming and more about the combat, so enemy placement is a priority and doesn't suffer from its procedural nature.

gunstarhero

Any hints on earning different types of guns, heads and backpacks? I've only managed to get 1 new of each, but not sure how I did it lol.

Opa-Pa

I can't remember how I got my last gun, but I got another head and a backpack from the merchant in the second world just now.

Man, this game is addictive, I made it to the third world and got my ass kicked.

The combo system is super fun too and it looks like you activate some funky mode if you get all purple skulls with it? I did and the colors got all crazy and enemies evolved (?).

zenspider

Just played for a few minutes so far...
what's this jump with 'A' nonsense? It's not terrible because the gun is on 'X', but why on earth would anyone do this? Is it like this on PC as well?

Seems like a fun game and looking forward to spending time with it, but good lord let me remap those dumb buttons.

Top Bottom