• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MicroSD Adapter coming to CFW Vitas

That's very cool, sadly I updated my Vita a while ago. I just wasn't doing anything with my CFW besides using emulators, which loses its appeal quickly. And I'm not even sure how to rip PSP games and put them in the Vita either.
Not to mention it shut me out of the PSN store, which for an all digital person like me is a huge negative.

Hopefully someday this will work on regular Vitas. Doubt it, but it'd be nice.

Waited a long time for this. Vita memory cards are hard to find now and are still stupidly experience, MicroSD support will solve all of that, goodbye small 32GB cards, hello everything on one big capacity card.

Chesskid1

Banned
for those confused

it's a microSD adapter that goes in the gamecard slot, allowing you to use it on the vita as memory. the end.

i will definitely be getting one since it looks like it will be hella cheap, < $10.

I would love if Sony allowed the Vita 2000 to read games off of a Micro-USB thumb drive. I know Wii U allows you to use thumb drives to play games off of.

Sony_topproductSmSmartPhoneUSB.jpg

Or maybe an SD card reader.

4177OdJ0ZsL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I would love if Sony allowed the Vita 2000 to read games off of a Micro-USB thumb drive. I know Wii U allows you to use thumb drives to play games off of.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/aplus/detail-page/Sony_topproductSmSmartPhoneUSB.jpg [ /img]

[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/4177OdJ0ZsL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg [ /img][/QUOTE]
This works on the PSTV via homebrew.

MUnited83

For you.

Sony_topproductSmSmartPhoneUSB.jpg

4177OdJ0ZsL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

There has actually been USB drive support on Homebrewed PSTVs for a while.

Ashler

If this means that down the line I can have all my Vita digital bought games on one memory card, i'm down!

If this means that down the line I can have all my Vita digital bought games on one memory card, i'm down!
It's possible that this won't be very convenient unless you dump the games. I can't say for sure, but I expect that if you try to move downloaded, encrypted, titles to this partition they won't run. The vita expects them in a certain place. You can, of course, unencrypt/dump your games and move them here, though, or use it as an on-site backup to move games to and from as you play them.

If i'm wrong, someone let me know. But this is the impression I get.

MUnited83

For you.
It's possible that this won't be very convenient unless you dump the games. I can't say for sure, but I expect that if you try to move downloaded, encrypted, titles to this partition they won't run. The vita expects them in a certain place. You can, of course, unencrypt/dump your games and move them here, though, or use it as an on-site backup to move games to and from as you play them.

If i'm wrong, someone let me know. But this is the impression I get.

Well you can just download the game from the PSN store while you're using the adapter.

Well you can just download the game from the PSN store while you're using the adapter.
Huh. Okay, I'm confused now. I was thinking it mounted itself within the usual gamecard partition (can't remember the 3 digit code, but whatever it is), but it's ux0. Does that mean you can't use a memory card and this? That seems like a pretty substantial design flaw.

MUnited83

For you.
Huh. Okay, I'm confused now. I was thinking it mounted itself within the usual gamecard partition (can't remember the 3 digit code, but whatever it is), but it's ux0. Does that mean you can't use a memory card and this? That seems like a pretty substantial design flaw.

It essentially makes the Vita change from reading the actual memory card and replaces it with the MicroSD in the game card. It's not really a design flaw but i guess it sucks for the people that already bought the big memory cards and want to add to it.

What you're describing is a flashcard.
It isn't though.

It essentially makes the Vita change from reading the actual memory card and replaces it with the MicroSD in the game card. It's not really a design flaw but i guess it sucks for the people that already bought the big memory cards and want to add to it.
Well since people already have some amount of space for homebrew on their vitas, I doubt there's anyone running entirely on ur0 or whatever the built in memory is. Perhaps this will be added in future, though, it's still early days.

Duxxy3

I always wondered how well the vita would have done if Sony hadn't made the stupid decision to limit which memory could be used on the Vita.

_Ryo_

So this would allow you to use back ups on a microsd card and save the games save files to that same game card, right? So you would not be able to use your original game card while this is in use

So this would allow you to use back ups on a microsd card and save the games save files to that same game card, right? So you would not be able to use your original game card while this is in use
it functions identically to the OEM vita memory cards, just physically placed in the gamecard slot.

This sounds awesome and I still have my Vita on 3.60 for this stuff. I also want to keep it homebrew-enabled just in case Sony ends PSN services on it and makes it a brick.

I'm just afraid of Sony banning me for using the PSN spoofing feature to go online. I still want to go online with the thing, at least to transfer my Binding of Isaac and Minecraft saves to PS3 and PS4.

MUnited83

For you.
This sounds awesome and I still have my Vita on 3.60 for this stuff. I also want to keep it homebrew-enabled just in case Sony ends PSN services on it and makes it a brick.

I'm just afraid of Sony banning me for using the PSN spoofing feature to go online. I still want to go online with the thing, at least to transfer my Binding of Isaac and Minecraft saves to PS3 and PS4.

So far no one has been banned for it. There was a little scare a couple of months ago, but it seemingly turned out to be temporary bans because of a glitch with the Near app, which was sending request after request on CFW devices.

I picked up a really clean 2000 Vita today for $90 at a pawn shop and loaded Henkaku on it. Really good timing all things considered.

Now I can have my lime green and white JP Vita as an untouched one, and my Black US one for neat homebrew stuff.

according to XYZ, should be possible to mount the adapter in such a way that you can use it alongside a memory card. Sweet.

Izuna

Banned
If only this device were just more open to begin with. :(

I wish we got powerful PlayStation Mobile machines.

Hmmm...this relies on one bit olaying off an actual gamecard, so gotta play digital only games? Don't those require a firmware update, the new ones anyway?

Sir Doom

So this was the big announcement.

I'm still haven't updated my Vita since the first jailbreak

At least no more Sony memory card

So this was the big announcement.

I'm still haven't updated my Vita since the first jailbreak

At least no more Sony memory card
this is not from TN/TheFl0w, who said he had something big coming. Don't think XYZ teased this prior but I could've missed it.

This is great to see because I was already looking at buying a 3G Vita or motherboard to use Yifan Lu's SD adapter, but this will save hunting for that.

yatesl

Unlike the 3DS and Wii U's non existent online, I surely have stuff invested in to PSN so I'll have to pass on cfw Vita in case they do a ban wave.

Top Bottom