• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PSN with a lot of money just got hacked and..

ephemeral

the support in Sweden is closed until Monday. Is there anything I can do? It'll cost way too much to call the UK support or something similar. What are the chances my money will be refunded?

e: PS UK support solved it nice and easy. The hacker left my money alone, thank you hacker.

Rellik

It wasn't hacked. You had a weak password that you used somewhere else and no 2FA despite a million warnings.

You'll have to wait until Monday.

ephemeral

It wasn't hacked. You had a weak password that you used somewhere else and no 2FA despite a million warnings.

You'll have to wait until Monday.

I just tweeted PS UK and they'll send me a link to a live chat in a bit. Fingers crossed.

SScorpio

More victim blaming in this thread already I see. Sony should make two step mandatory.

Please no, then those of us still with PSP will be forced to enabled really slow insecure WiFi to download games since the the PC's download option was removed and PS3 download and install to PSP doesn't work with two-factor auth.

RedFury

More victim blaming in this thread already I see. Sony should make two step mandatory.
Make it mandatory when the option is there? Yeah this one is pretty clear cut. If you get "hacked" when the option of greater security is available it's on you.

Shredderi

Make it mandatory when the option is there? Yeah this one is pretty clear cut. If you get "hacked" when the option of greater security is available it's on you.

And the person who forces their way into someone's account is innocent? It's all on the victim? SmFh.

sorry about this OP, please update us on what PS UK says.

Why are people afraid to activate 2fa? cause it works well on ps3, 4, vita, sends you a code in seconds

MattAces

Just do a quick charge back from the bank.

Dude no, please don't do that. Just try to be nice and speak to the support, they aren't that bad. Then activate 2FA immediately.

As far as the refunds go, slim to no chance as you would go through the bank for that and if you do that Sony will ban your account. Emails have been getting hacked since their inception. Sucks that some people have to learn the hard way when it comes to 2-step verification.

Yeah same thing happen to me once over a weekend. I had to wait until Monday to get help.

It shouldn't matter though. Sony could tell my account got hacked and locked my account until I called them and refunded me the money that the hacker spent on the next working day. If you're curious, the guy spent money from my paypal account that was connected to my PSN to buy the latest FIFA game.

ephemeral

sorry about this OP, please update us on what PS UK says.

Why are people afraid to activate 2fa? cause it works well on ps3, 4, vita, sends you a code in seconds

Fortunately the support was really fast, only took about 45mins to get everything resolved. The idiot who stole my account didn't use any of the currency in the wallet so I'm all good now. Activated 2-step verification now so this doesn't happen again, a bit naive of me to not use it before.

Head.spawn

They shouldn't make 2-step mandatory, but they should definitely have it defaulted to prompt the user to set it up when they create their account, or when they're switching to PS4 (or any new PS device), or they could've prompted every single user to do so when they actually enabled it.

It's not like two-step is something people are just glossing over; a lot of people don't know it's even added, other people don't realize that Sony's security is so lax that it won't inform you about sign-ins from new drastically different locations.

Basics for 2013 security:

-New sign-in locations should send a notification
-New console sign-ins should send a notification
-Multiple Sign-In attempts should send a notification and temporarily lock further attempts until it's rectified
-Two-step should be expanded upon and users should be prompted at account creation. Security Code Generator Apps would be great, I use one for my google, battlenet, steam, uplay, origin, xbox etc etc..
-You should be able to review Security Activity to see sign-in attempts, incorrect passwords, brute-force attempts etc etc..

And holy shit, support shouldn't be closed on weekends. wtf.

Fortunately the support was really fast, only took about 45mins to get everything resolved. The idiot who stole my account didn't use any of the currency in the wallet so I'm all good now. Activated 2-step verification now so this doesn't happen again, a bit naive of me to not use it before.

Wow, that's great that the hacker didn't even spend your money.

Ponn

Banned

If you make it mandatory you will have millions calling PS customer service pissed off and confused about enabling it. It would be a nightmare for them.

ephemeral

Just do a quick charge back from the bank.

Dude no, please don't do that. Just try to be nice and speak to the support, they aren't that bad. Then activate 2FA immediately.

Support was awesome and helped me out quickly.

As far as the refunds go, slim to no chance as you would go through the bank for that and if you do that Sony will ban your account. Emails have been getting hacked since their inception. Sucks that some people have to learn the hard way when it comes to 2-step verification.

Luckily no money was touched.

Yeah same thing happen to me once over a weekend. I had to wait until Monday to get help.

It shouldn't matter though. Sony could tell my account got hacked and locked my account until I called them and refunded me the money that the hacker spent on the next working day. If you're curious, the guy spent money from my paypal account that was connected to my PSN to buy the latest FIFA game.

I was hoping that they'd be that helpful but you never know. I'm glad you got everything back.

why is people victim blaming? maybe he didn't know 2 step existed. anyay unfortunately you'll have to wait until Monday

Tbh I did but I'm a very lazy person and it never got hacked in 8+ years so why would it now? At least I've learned from my stupidity.

Wow, that's great that the hacker didn't even spend your money.

Yeah I got very lucky.

Accoun

Speaking of 2FA, isn't it phone number based on PSN? I'm not a huge fan of that even though I already gave it to Google (or maybe because of that, especially since I trust them more with security than Sony), but I guess they didn't want to depend on the user making his e-mail account secure, too.

mrk8885

Banned
Just out of curiosity, what did they buy?

But no, nothing you can do for now for refunds.

But definitely update your security.

Edit: glad uk support helped

Zenner

If you make it mandatory you will have millions calling PS customer service pissed off and confused about enabling it. It would be a nightmare for them.

The sooner more online services start making 2FA mandatory, the sooner it becomes a normal thing for the majority of people who use online services in general. More services should be taking the lead in enabling more secure accounts for their clients.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OP you changed your password too right? 2FA is good second layer protection but you should have separate passwords on anything involving money. For major accounts - bank, PSN, PayPal etc I even use completely different email addresses

RedFury

And the person who forces their way into someone's account is innocent? It's all on the victim? SmFh.
Strawman, that's not the fucking argument jesus christ. You should always protect yourself when given the option to. It's common sense given the amount of "I got hacked on X" threads on gaf alone.

Protip: 2 factor auth. use it (On anything and everything).

Nothing you can do at the moment. You need to wait until its open on Monday.

EDIT: Nice, you contacted UK Support. They can help anyone in the Europe, Middle East and African regions, but getting a hold of them can be tough with the cost of a call.

Next time, use stronger passwords, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use 2 Step Verification. Also, change passwords on everything else that uses a password even vaguely like the one you used on PSN.

Also, note down your backup codes for 2SV. If you don't, and you lose your phone or change number and can't get a code, you're gonna need to phone up Support and go through a process to have it removed, which can take a few days. Backup codes never get noted down, so please be the first person in the Universe to do this.

Good that this ended well for you OP. I'm in agreement that Sony should force 2FA for everyone. Make it mandatory on the next login. I feel like that would solve a fair amount of these cases before they become a problem. The average gaffer especially knows that people are always trying to hack accounts so there really isn't any excuse to forgo 2FA at this point. That's not victim blaming, that's protecting your property....so to speak.

hqdefault.jpg

Zomba13

Wait what? So the people "victim blaming" are telling op to do exactly what you want to make mandatory.

The people victim blaming are saying it's OPs fault because he didn't have 2 factor. It wasn't his fault, it was the person who got into his account. OP didn't do this to themselves. Should they have 2 factor on? Yes, if you have the option always have it on, but just because he didn't doesn't mean it's ok for people to access his account without his authorisation and do whatever the hell they like with it.

Stevey

Sucks man, hope you get it sorted.
I never save my payment options or leave credit in console accounts.

Raimond

But I'm confused. If they hack your account, they can only make purchases that will be tied to your account, right?! What benefit do the hackers get out of it?

But I'm confused. If they hack your account, they can only make purchases that will be tied to your account, right?! What benefit do the hackers get out of it?

I work PS Support UK and I honestly am mystified as to why they do it. They change the email addresses to nonsense garbage 10 minute mails, and they usually just wallet fund to the max and leave it there. I think its just to harass people.

Then there's the compromisers who make sub accounts, buy shitloads of FIFA points on the sub accounts, and then leave it there. I think its something to do with trying to move the FIFA points to other accounts via transfers, but I'm not sure as I don't know how FIFA works really.

Top Bottom