• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nazi's really are the best all-time villian

I just finished Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (Great game). It dawned on me just how satisfying it is to kill Nazis in games, never gets old. I guess because they are so easy to dislike? I think they are the greatest villain of all-time in any medium really. Agree or dis-agree?

They're the next best thing to Zombies on the I don't care about what I'm killing morality scale. So yeah, I guess they are.

Wolfenstein's Nazis are a particularly special bunch though. Gotta hate their guts.

Ahasverus

I'm really fed up of them, like, I feel nothing. They've ascended to generic villain.

I'd rather be shooting white supremacists or religious fanatics. Yes, Far Cry speaks to my heart

wolfensteinv6sl4.png

wolfenstein1hzs9c.png

Aurongel

Nazis almost seem antiquated compared to the current evil groups in the world today.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to Far Cry 5.

El-Suave

As a German I always get a kick out of media when we're the villains. Wolfenstein really nails all their German references, every German voice actor is a native speakerand they're really good delivering the corny and absurd dialogue. Playing these games not needing to pay attention to the subtitles is a really nice little bonus.

Capitan

People who don't know the difference between plural and possessive are the real villains.

Its really not a huge deal. Not sure why you have a problem with the thread or it's title.

On topic, they really are. Pretty easy not to have any qualms with killing hundreds of them in any game.

Oberon

Banned
I really dislike one dimensional bad guys. Using nazies as bad guys just feels kinda lazy to me. "Why do I hate them?" "Because they're Nazies". I guess that's fine sometimes, but the fact that they're something that actually existed makes it weird to me. Nazies didn't appear out of nowhere just to do evil things.
I guess I just don't like games that feature recent wars (even if fantastical in nature).

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
They're the next best thing to Zombies on the I don't care about what I'm killing morality scale. So yeah, I guess they are.

Wolfenstein's Nazis are a particularly special bunch though. Gotta hate their guts.
Zombies used to be people, so I'd say nazis are lower on the scale.

Dommo

Not really and I find the notion that nazis are the 'ultimate bad guy devoid of redemption' kind of gross. Nazis were, by and large, regular German citizens fighting for their country, caught on the wrong side, serving under a maniacally evil regime.

The way that video games and (to a lesser extent) films portray them as thousands of mini-Hitlers there to be slaughtered in the most egregious ways possible doesn't really sit right with me.

True Fire

But in all seriousness, anti-Nazi propaganda has started to backfire. People can openly promote the Nazi agenda, but they are also able to dismiss criticism because of how hackneyed "Nazi" is.

El-Suave

The way that video games and (to a lesser extent) films portray them as thousands of mini-Hitlers there to be slaughtered in the most egregious ways possible doesn't really sit right with me.

Games usually never go that far though, regualr infantry is cannon fodder. Basically it doesn't matter if who you're shooting are Germans, Russians or Mexicans. They only ham it up for villains that get more screen time.

Oberon

Banned
Not really and I find the notion that nazis are the 'ultimate bad guy devoid of redemption' kind of gross. Nazis were, by and large, regular German citizens fighting for their country, caught on the wrong side, serving under a maniacally evil regime.

I feel like it's easy to dehumanize them, because we'd like to think that someone that commits such atrocities couldn't possibly be human. So we want to distance ourselves from them. I think accepting the worst of humanity is the best way to not repeat the same mistakes.
(To explain as to why I don't really like games portraying recent wars)

I really dislike one dimensional bad guys. Using nazies as bad guys just feels kinda lazy to me. "Why do I hate them?" "Because they're Nazies". I guess that's fine sometimes, but the fact that they're something that actually existed makes it weird to me. Nazies didn't appear out of nowhere just to do evil things.
I guess I just don't like games that feature recent wars (even if fantastical in nature).
What part of WW2 was recent?

nkarafo

I haven't played the game but i did play a lot of WW2 shooters.

Killing soldiers should not feel good, whoever they are. Most of the time soldiers are just pawns who have no choice. It's the higher ranks that should feel good to kill.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong, I love Wolfenstein as much as the next guy (I just pre-ordered The New Colossus), but Nazis are starting to get hackneyed. MachineGames at least gives them some personality and creates reasons for you to hate them, but when a developer just drops Nazis in a game as an automatic "you obviously hate these enemies, right?!" it just feels boring and lazy.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There day 1 for the new Wolfenstein:
wwhxOVX.gif

wolfenstein_2_the_new_colossus_anya_by_digi_matrix-dbcer1j.gif

Fucking hell I can't wait for this game.

There day 1 for the new Wolfenstein:
wwhxOVX.gif

wolfenstein_2_the_new_colossus_anya_by_digi_matrix-dbcer1j.gif

Fucking hell I can't wait for this game.

I played the shit out of Wolfenstein: The New Order. I found it much better than Doom. The new one looks so much better - day 0! :p

Come to think of it, Wolfenstein: TNO was among the first 5 games I platinumed on PS4.

Rathorial

They're a pretty stylish villain that's easy to hate, and enough interesting stories can be wrapped around them with WW2 + all the occult stuff around them. Nazis didn't exist that far back so we do know a great deal about them, and their iconography is memorable.

Couple that with a few idiots that still label themselves neo-nazis, and some far-left liberals who fling that term with loose abandon, while the internet gives both attention. Keeps the Nazi idea relevant enough, on top of Machine Games doing a neat alt-future take on Wolfenstein.

Indecisive

Neo Member
Killing soldiers should not feel good, whoever they are. Most of the time soldiers are just pawns who have no choice. It's the higher ranks that should feel good to kill.

This is exactly why I hate stealth missions. Killing dudes who are actively shooting you is one thing, but sneaking around and slitting the throats of some young kids who likely don't want to be there (and may even surrender if provoked) has never sat right with me.

I've never liked military games because of this, but this is doubly true of action games like Uncharted. Just feels gross.

Give me some zombies, aliens, monsters, or let me sneak around everybody please.

Dommo

Games usually never go that far though, regualr infantry is cannon fodder. Basically it doesn't matter if who you're shooting are Germans, Russians or Mexicans. They only ham it up for villains that get more screen time.

Except that we're currently in a thread describing nazis as "the most satisfying to kill" coupled with an image of a developer saying "There are a lot of things you can do with a hatchet and a nazi." Replace the word 'nazi' with any other ethnicity, army, group of people and it sounds really distasteful. Obviously it does matter if you're shooting Germans, Russians or Mexicans, if only just by this thread.

I feel like it's easy to dehumanize them, because we'd like to think that someone that commits such atrocities couldn't possibly be human. So we want to distance ourselves from them. I think accepting the worst of humanity is the best way to not repeat the same mistakes.
(To explain as to why I don't really like games portraying recent wars)

Yes exactly. My only disagreement is that I think video games should be portraying recent wars, just in a way that adequately explores the murkier side of humanity, rather than dehumanise it to a point of mindlessly slaughtering 'flat villains.'

Top Bottom