• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy removes mufflers from his Hellcat and get pulled over right after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinokill

He has one of the best YouTube car channels in my opinion. He is hilarious!

This video is amazing. He goes to a shop to get his mufflers deleted, gets excited listening to his new exhaust, doesn't see a cop behind him and proceeds to do a hard acceleration lmao.

"Jurasicly loud"

https://youtu.be/-MoAhGtUVN8

There are a bunch of assholes in my neighborhood that removed their mufflers. They love to drive around at about 1 a.m.

If I could hate them to death they'd be gone a long time ago.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
A dude in my neighborhood did this and it was keyed up like crazy faster than a car with Yankee bumper stickers in Boston.

JaggedSac

Doesn't seem like the cop pulled him over for noise, just the fact that he accelerated so fast away from the cop. Which doesn't seem to be illegal.

Also, fuck people who make their cars/bikes louder.

Shandy

If I had my way, there'd be decibel limits on all non-commercial vehicles.

Sick of idiots in their stupid loud cars and on their stupid loud bikes. There is no reason to be so inconsiderate. Selfish fools, the lot of them.

Motorcycles don't seem to have the same laws.

I don't understand what you mean by this? He wasn't pulled over due to noise according to the cop.

I personally have no issue with loud bikes though. Helps me to know they're there before my shoulder checks.

If I had my way, there'd be decibel limits on all non-commercial vehicles.

Pretty sure there are limits here in Aus, undoubtedly state imposed laws though, so it may vary.

That's not against the law over there? Weird. It should be. It is here. I was pulled over by a cop because my car was making super-loud noises, as my muffler was damaged. I had to tell him I already had an appointment at the car shop for him to not give me a ticket. He said he would if he caught me after that.

I don't understand what you mean by this? He wasn't pulled over due to noise.

I personally have no issue with loud bikes though. Helps me to know they're there before my shoulder checks.

My brother has been pulled over for sound on his classic car which is way quieter than most motorcycles. Happens a lot. Feels bad.

Sunster

so the muffler's purpose is to muffle the noise...
s-f009692b9f8a85e44d08a7269fa0caf9faf088ba.gif

My brother has been pulled over for sound on his classic car which is way quieter than most motorcycles. Happens a lot. Feels bad.

Just find the relevant legislation for your state pertaining to excessive vehicle noise and make sure that bikes are included. If they are, then sure they should be scrutinised. That being said, I think if a decibel limit is imposed on bikes, it should be set at a higher volume than cars. Loud bikes are safer.

Aiii

So not worth it
There are a bunch of assholes in my neighborhood that removed their mufflers. They love to drive around at about 1 a.m.

If I could hate them to death they'd be gone a long time ago.

Seriously, don't do this with your road cars.

If you want to have a track car, something for fun, that's fine. But keep your noisy shit outta the neighbourhood.

Dougald

Motorcycles don't seem to have the same laws.

Here in the UK, it's the opposite. Cars seem to get away with anything whereas bikes very much have a hard limit.

Unless it's a Harley, Harley riders seem to enjoy just fitting drainpipes to their headers and somehow never get pulled by the plod. I'm a biker but I also live near a Harley dealership, and screw loud exhausts.

Dinokill

I don't know. I love loud cars!

I recently removed my mufflers and the car is louder but not super loud. It can be super loud is you WOT but overall is not bad. Now if a remove the resonator that will be another history.

Dougald

Y'all already frequently don't see us. I've revved my bike to prevent someone merging on me more than once; that noise saves lives.

Debatable, certainly I've never noticed a difference even though my current bike (a Ducati with stock, legal exhaust) is the loudest bike I've ever owned. You're shooting all that noise behind you, which is not where cars causing accidents generally are. Just get an air horn, a brighter helmet and learn how to avoid a SMIDSY

Switching from a black helmet to a white helmet made a hell of a lot more difference to visibility than any exhaust ever did

empyrean

Just me who quickly read the thread title and thought some dude had a massive bob cat type creature with earmuffs on?

JaggedSac

Y'all already frequently don't see us. I've revved my bike to prevent someone merging on me more than once; that noise saves lives.

Put a big ass horn on that thing. Being a nuisance 99.9% of the time to solve a problem 0.01% of the time seems a poor solution.

Dougald

Put a big ass horn on that thing. Being a nuisance 99.9% of the time to solve a problem 0.01% of the time seems a poor solution.

Plus it's a lot safer than sacrificing control of your machine by disengaging the clutch in order to rev-bomb someone.

Kenstar

Debatable, certainly I've never noticed a difference even though my current bike (a Ducati with stock, legal exhaust) is the loudest bike I've ever owned. You're shooting all that noise behind you, which is not where cars causing accidents generally are. Just get an air horn, a brighter helmet and learn how to avoid a SMIDSY

Switching from a black helmet to a white helmet made a hell of a lot more difference to visibility than any exhaust ever did

Nah
loud pipes save lives brah
hqdefault.jpg

Dougald

Yeah, someone almost clipped the back of my bike though.

Also, #jealous. I wish I could justify buying a nice Ducati.

Completely off-topic but join us in the 2-wheel community thread, where I'm sure Fallout-NL will argue vehemently against my "no loud exhausts" stance

I just wanted to commend the officer for doing a good job. He let him know why he was pulled over, why what he did was unsafe, and even came across as normal human. I was surprised because the driver was calling him "man" instead of "sir" and I figured that might be a perceived lack of respect. Good video.

Somnid

I am strongly in favor of max vehicle noise limits. Even most unmodified gas vehicles are way too loud and we shouldn't accept it. Too bad that's not what happened.

Plus it's a lot safer than sacrificing control of your machine by disengaging the clutch in order to rev-bomb someone.

When I think of loud bikes being safer I'm more thinking of the Harley that you hear approaching from 20m back on the motorway. Sometimes I nearly get hit when I'm very clearly not in someone's blind spot because my bike is quiet, but luckily I'm pretty damn perceptive. Never happened when I've taken out my mate's XVS650 with louder pipes (still not close to some Harleys though).

If people knew what a shoulder check was and actually used it, I'd have no qualms in condemning loud bikes.

Thing is most people don't react properly to horns

Sure fucking don't. I was overtaking a removalists truck and it started to merge on me, held down my horn and his reaction was to merge into my lane FASTER. Luckily I had some shoulder room to slow down and drop behind him, but fuckin hell.

The muffler on my 2001 Subaru Legacy fell off around the mid muffler part while I was driving one time, and it was much louder than that. I'm a little disappointed tbh.

But yeah, he totally got pulled over for accelerating so quickly from the police officer, not due to the noise. Maybe the noise played a part in giving the cop the impression that he was accelerating dangerously.

it's weird that the guy even glances in his rearview several times with the cop right there before he takes off. You could clearly see the lights on top of the car through his back windshield.

xrnzaaas

That's what horns are for.

Thing is most people don't react properly to horns, especially if you're in a big city where everyone's honking at each other. It's easy to get used to that sound. Say you get a person crossing the street illegally. Revving the bike has a much much bigger chance of making that person stop or turn around than just using the horn... plus when you're on a bike you're risking much more than a dent on your bumper or your hood.

Catdaddy

Had a guy in our neighborhood who would do this crap, his bike was really loud and he was into stunt riding so he’d just do wheelies around the cul-de-sac and constantly rev his bike. It stopped a few years ago when a girl with a kid moved into the house. Not sure he even has the bike anymore tbh. I really should thank her…

Dougald

When I think of loud bikes being safer I'm more thinking of the Harley that you hear approaching from 20m back on the motorway. I don't know how many times I nearly get hit when I'm very clearly not in someone's blind spot because my bike is quiet. Never happened when I've taken out my mate's XVS650 with louder pipes (still not close to some Harleys though).

Personally, I haven't noticed any difference with drivers in front of me, but I understand it's pretty much subjective, unless someone goes ahead and does a proper study

My other issue with loud pipes is more that it makes the community look bad (just look at the attitude towards them here on GAF), which leads to more regulation. I know ever since the Harley Dealer down the road opened up, all my neighbours who were fairly indifferent to bikes have complained about the increased noise

If people knew what a shoulder check was and actually used it, I'd have no qualms in condemning loud bikes.

Most drivers here only know how to check their facebook!

DarkestHour

Banned
The muffler on my 2001 Subaru Legacy fell off around the mid muffler part while I was driving one time, and it was much louder than that. I'm a little disappointed tbh.

But yeah, he totally got pulled over for accelerating so quickly from the police officer, not due to the noise. Maybe the noise played a part in giving the cop the impression that he was accelerating dangerously.

it's weird that the guy even glances in his rearview several times with the cop right there before he takes off. You could clearly see the lights on top of the car through his back windshield.

You wouldn't think someone would do something silly like that for Youtube would you? Nahhhh

Oh god lol, the YouTube brand on his back window. $50 discount.

Dude's only got 30k subs.

Edit: Yeah, he accelerated really fast away from that cop, and as the cop mentioned, he was speeding. Seems like a nice dude, which is why he got off easy. Still absolutely hate him for having such a loud ass car though.

Personally, I haven't noticed any difference with drivers in front of me, but I understand it's pretty much subjective, unless someone goes ahead and does a proper study

Basically yeah. I could see more people glancing into their side mirrors and noticing me when I rode the louder bike, but it's not something I've thought about recording before.

Also I totally get your "community look" thing. I ride nearly every day but when I see someone cooking their cruiser at a set of lights, pulling a wheelie or weaving through traffic at 40km/h+ the limit even I think they're an absolute knob.

snacknuts

we all knew her

As someone who has owned a few different motorcycles, I can assure you your horn will work just fine.

black_13

Banned
so the muffler's purpose is to muffle the noise...
[IMGhttps://img-s3.onedio.com/id-58b80952586522761184dbd8/rev-0/w-635/f-jpg-gif-webp-webm-mp4/s-f009692b9f8a85e44d08a7269fa0caf9faf088ba.gif[/IMG]

And a Spark Plug's purpose is to Spark the fuel. It's funny how most things automotive related are straight forward with their naming.

Most black people do their most to limit their interactions with the police and this mofo pretty much paints a target on his back for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom