• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver - A Classic Revisited on PS1/PC/Dreamcast!

Video!

One of the greatest titles available on the original PlayStation, Soul Reaver's 3D 'Metroidvania' gameplay pushed the system to its limits. John presents the history behind the game, examines the core technology, analyses performance and checks out the PC and Dreamcast ports.

Podcast?!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Also, NeoGAF's own Mama Robotnik is a guest on this episode! Curious to hear if you guys like the idea of guests in future episode! I think his knowledge brought a lot to the table!

Mr. Tibbs

Also, NeoGAF's own Mama Robotnik is a guest on this episode! Curious to hear if you guys like the idea of guests in future episode! I think his knowledge brought a lot to the table!

That's awesome to hear. Mama Robotnik really has gone above and beyond hunting down all the available info on the Legacy of Kain games. Time to get watching!

Dizzy-4U

That damn ending pissed me off so much back then. Still, I remember enjoying the game a lot.

Anyways, time to watch the video.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Fond memories of not being able to finish this game as I believe the disc was scratched and the game just crashed about halfway through. One day I'll return to it.

shiyrley

Banned
Hey dark10x, what are the chances of you doing a Beyond Good & Evil episode? It's a buggy game with a lot of different versions, the HD version supposedly missing some effects and having random crashes... It would be interesting to have you researching where the ultimate experience is :). I'm playing it on an original Xbox right now

dark10x

Hey dark10x, what are the chances of you doing a Beyond Good & Evil episode? It's a buggy game with a lot of different versions, the HD version supposedly missing some effects and having random crashes... It would be interesting to have you researching where the ultimate experience is :). I'm playing it on an original Xbox right now
Yeah, I'd like to do an episode on that at some point the future!

Great video. MR's segment was good too - if they're of the same quality, more would be welcome. I was really worried for a minute it was going to be Dyack lol.
How much would you estimate was cut from the game? The explanation makes me feel like it's almost half.

also eww at using epsxe

This is just a preference but I always liked better how the textures looked grittier in the PSX, due to the hardware limitations I bet, but still, when taken to DC it can look kinda bland.

Joqu

Soul Reaver is such a magical game. I love that Dreamcast version, shame the PC version they're selling now isn't based on it.

I miss you, Legacy of Kain. :(

By the way, I'd be interested in DF Retro episodes on the other titles too. I don't know how interesting stuff like Defiance would be for example but it's hard to find good info on the differences, I've always heard the GameCube version of Blood Omen 2 is superior for example but I have no idea if this is actually true.

And oh yeah, I really love Mama Robotnik's insight here. I'd definitely like to see more guests in future episodes if they're similarly knowledgeable.

dark10x

This is just a preference but I always liked better how the textures looked grittier in the PSX, due to the hardware limitations I bet, but still, when bumped up and cleaned in the DC it looks kinda bland.
I'm with you. The DC version would look a lot better if you could play with texture filtering disabled.

scitek

That was great, John. I like the idea of guest appearances, especially if you can ever get any of the original developers on. Also, when talking about the best way to experience PSX games today, you should mention that the PS3 also plays discs. I don't think a lot of people realize that, and they might still that console lying around, or even still hooked up.

Dizzy-4U

Oh man Akuji. I still remember those gruesome spanish ads. Lame attempt of trying to create controversy (with no success afaik).

Garlador

"Raziel... You are worthy..."

I'm dying for a remake or follow-up. The world of Kain and Nosgoth is too good to collect mothballs.

Great video, I loved Soul Reaver. Played the Playstation version only at launch. The huge sprawling level design was so awe inspiring at the time. It was an obvious technical marvel at the time.

R0nn

Mama Robotnik hype!

He has a lovely voice. Exactly how I imagined him to sound like.

Also, this game totally deserves a full remaster, including bringing in all the cut content. I'm not sure how that would affect the continuity of the storyline though.

Oh my emotions and nostalgia are getting moved! Truly the glory days of gaming for me.

A LoK Remaster collection would be awesome.

Still own the DC version. The cliff hanger ending kind of killed my interest in the series. I remember getting the ending and was like "oh I have to buy another game to find out the ending? no thanks" and that was that. I wasn't even really mad or anything. I would see the sequels come out and I just didn't consider them.

Anung

Un Rama
Watched this while eating lunch and it was excellent. It's always interesting to hear how they get these things work with what might as well have been magic when I was a kid. I love how creative the limited hardware forces them to be. Guest was good too.

It's a shame that the series lays dormant. It seems like such a no brainer to leverage all the Souls/Bloodborne hype to give us something in the Legacy of Kain series.

Still got my PS1 copy laying around so might have to dig it out.

Haven't watched the video yet, but Soul Reaver was one of my favorite games at their time on the PS1. Then I saw the game at a friend on his Dreamcast and it blew me away. Bought the console shortly after that and I love to play it on that console until today.

Love to see the difference between both versions in detail now. Thanks John!

Too bad the second game never arrived on Dreamcast.

We also need more Legacy of Kain. If not a new game, I would love to see a collection or ports from the games for recent consoles.

Atolm

Due to my love of the franchise I might be biased but this is the best episode yet. I already knew all of the information but it's really nice to see it all in one place.

What saddens me is that there isn't a truly definitive version of the game, all have drawbacks.

Also one thing that shows if you have played the sequels, is that they became scared of the massive scale of their original vision, because both 2 and Defiance, while still great games, are much more contained and far less ambitious.

To me Soul Reaver was the truly first open-workd third person adventure. In Zelda after all the game was still divided into areas.

KainXVIII

I beat only PC version, interesting that it lacks of dynamic music..
What about Dreamcast version, does it have dynamic music?

Top Bottom