• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Japan's Nintendo Switch Lines Are Hell

http://kotaku.com/japans-nintendo-switch-lines-are-hell-1796975143

The already long Nintendo Switch longs have gotten that much longer. Meaning? Things are suddenly more unpleasant for those wanting to buy a Switch.

As Kotaku previously reported, the console has been drawing long lines for months afters its release, and well-known game creator Hideki Kamiya recounted his unsuccessful attempt at trying to buy one. While those were long lines, the most recent ones in Tokyo and Osaka are brutal.

A massive line formed this morning at the Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo's Akihabara. It was apparently over three thousand people long!

This boggles my mind. I almost want Nintendo to shut off supply to the rest of the world just to deal with Japan's supply issues for a month or two. Almost.

Mediking

And Pokemon Switch hasn't even released yet :^)

I love my Switch. Its really good. Just waiting for Splatoon 2 now.

-MB-

IMHO they really should have concentrated supply to Jpan, it is their most vital market, which they need to be successful in as fast as possible.
They need to seize that momentum to the max there to cement Switch as the de facto 3DS replacement.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You would think someone like Hideki Kamiya could get one put in reserve? Hell maybe even a custom designed one.

IMHO they really should have concentrated supply to Jpan, it is their most vital market, which they need to be successful in as fast as possible.
They need to seize that momentum to the max there to cement Switch as the de facto 3DS replacement.

I agree.

I'd say NA and Japan are equally vital for Nintendo, though I do think at this specific moment in time, Japan is more important, because of Splatoon 2.

DNAbro

uhh pretty sure U.S is still the most vital market.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just realized I'm not getting anymore nowinstock alerts for the US.

Was getting them like crazy last week. I just remembered.. might have been that Amazon Prime thing.

Metal B

How many posts will it take to spin huge demand into a negative? Place your bets now!
Yes, at one point it could turn into frustration, which means lost sales, and hurts software sales. It's really unfortunate, that Nintendo doesn't get the parts they need (or got them in time) to create more Switchs.

phanphare

Banned

I think they will, feel like they were waiting for Splatoon 2 and the summer holiday to really get going while making sure the west was well served with launch + BotW

we'll see shortly

Blam

High demand is actually extremely bad.

Yeah seriously this is going to hurt the console in the long run. I seriously don't understand why Nintendo didn't pre-produce the fuck out of this before even releasing it.

They didn't have the NAND shortages before it launched.

But the US is also selling out every week.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I look at this and the trouble my friends had to go through to secure theirs and feel glad about my decision to pre-order one for launch.

Nintendo really needs to make some quick moves to increase stock. They lowballed this console and it's biting them back

Are Japanese scalpers a thing? With those lines I can imagine the desperation coould make people pay lots of money for one.

DNAbro

Yeah seriously this is going to hurt the console in the long run. I seriously don't understand why Nintendo didn't pre-produce the fuck out of this before even releasing it.

Because they obviously wanted to be cautious after releasing the Wii U.

noshten

Are Japanese scalpers a thing? With those lines I can imagine the desperation coould make people pay lots of money for one.

Its selling for over Y50,000 on Amazon.co.jp right now by 3rd parties and the price continues to rise in anticipation of Splatoon 2

Yeah seriously this is going to hurt the console in the long run.

It's only going to hurt the console in the long run if Nintendo fails to increase production eventually and stops releasing killer apps.

Like, these stock issues in the summer of 2017 are unlikely to have any affect on demand for the system in a year or two when AC and Pokemon release.

Blam

Because they obviously wanted to be cautious after releasing the Wii U.

Yeah but even at the beginning of the Wii U same shit happened as well. Shortages even for that sure for not as long as the switch. But they could see how much hype was around it. Could they clearly not take a coin toss to make a shitload more for launch.

It's only going to hurt the console in the long run if Nintendo fails to increase production eventually and stops releasing killer apps.

Well clearly they are already having problems with that.

Zalman

Hey Nintendo, at least hook up your boy Harada.

3yYIylt.png

They did pre-produce the heck out of it pre-release. I mean they almost upped their initial shipment by 50% in the first month alone. It still baffles me that people arent getting this. It's been out there for a long time.

And how do you know about the lack of shortages before it launched?

phanphare

Banned
Yeah but even at the beginning of the Wii U same shit happened as well. Shortages even for that sure for not as long as the switch. But they could see how much hype was around it. Could they clearly not take a coin toss to make a shitload more for launch.

shortages? for the Wii U? lol that did not happen

in fact didn't Nintendo buy back the basic bundle from retailers because of how hard it flopped?

Metal B

They did. There was the rumor going around, that the Switch was released in March and not in the Holidays of 2016, because Nintendo wanted to have enough Switchs ready to launch. This is the maximal number of supplies, they could produce without moving the launch even more back.

Well, Splatoon 2 is nearing release so the lines get longer.
That's pretty heavy.
I really hope Nintendo is able to deliver enough consoles for Splatoon 2 in all regions.

Top Bottom