• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes made $115 million in 6 months, 11.7M downloads, now at $500K/day

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Total money made:

91u5c.png

In case you were curious why some Japanese mobile games don't release in Europe:

beu2t.png

Current performance notes:

5 Thousand Installs and Half-a-Million of Dollars a Day
Despite Global featuring on both Apple and Google Play Stores, Fire Emblem Heroes has only had around 10M downloads worldwide, suggesting a lack of User Acquisition and niche appeal. Despite a lack of installs, revenue for the game hasn't slowed down.
Source: https://www.deconstructoroffun.com/blog/2017/6/20/fire-emblem-heroes-its-gacha-a-hand-on-your-wallet

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One one hand, Fire Emblem, a formerly niche but amazing series, is seeing unprecedented success, which will surely lead to the franchise flourishing in the future.

On the other, it comes at the expense of being a gacha game full of waifus, representative of major wrongs in the industry.

I'm conflicted.

kiri

Would anyone be so kind as to compare this revenue to other, more traditional, console titles from Nintendo? Just curious on whether to be impressed or not!

Oxymoron

Counting Apple/Google's cut, that's an average of ~$15/user?

If even 10% of people are paying, that's $150/paying user (and a lot less than 10% of people are paying.)

Hitting those whales hard.

L~A

I'd love to know where they got their DL data, because it looks bogus. Play Store is still at 1 - 5 million. If it's really at 5.6 million, it would have been updated to the 5 - 10 million range already, unless there was a sudden influx of 600k players within the last 24h.

Kalor

I knew it was doing well but that's really good, especially for Nintendos first foray into gacha games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
$500K/d. What's d?

Day.

I changed the title up a bit to make that clear.

I'd love to know where they got their DL data, because it looks bogus. Play Store is still at 1 - 5 million. If it's really at 5.6 million, it would have been updated to the 5 - 10 million range already, unless there was a sudden influx of 600k players within the last 24h.
You can technically go get APKs on Android instead of going through the Play Store.

Seemed like a guaranteed hit from day 1. The game itself was actually pretty solid from what I played of it too. Thankfully I'm not that much of a FE fan so I could drop it easily.

Animal Crossing is probably going to ruin me though

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How much did Mario Run make?

Nintendo said it was less than Fire Emblem Heroes even back when Fire Emblem was estimated around $70-$80 million.

They've been uh... more open to the idea of more free 2 play games lately in their fiscal calls.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nintendo : "Wave Race, Metroid, Earthbound, Star Tropics and F-Zero mobile apps coming soon".

Day.

You can technically go get APKs on Android instead of going through the Play Store.
wouldn't that shouldn't be counted as google play downloads then since it didn't get through from there?
anyway, I kinda wish there's regional breakdown on the downloads as well

But how many of those installs are rerolls

I put in $40

rerolls still count as single download. unless they quote userbase number, then that one should include those rerolls

Draxal

Would anyone be so kind as to compare this revenue to other, more traditional, console titles from Nintendo? Just curious on whether to be impressed or not!

Probably made more then every fire emblem game combined fwiw.

L~A

Day.

Oh, right, didn't think of that. It's actually how I got the game in the first place, since I was on an "exotic" ROM (before I got a new phone) and so locked out of the Play Store page.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Probably made more then every fire emblem game combined fwiw.
In terms of profitability, quite plausibly, but revenue they still have at least a bit to go.

It's also worth noting that Nintendo spent almost nothing on user acquisition, especially compared to other games.

Lunar15

Nintendo said it was less than Fire Emblem Heroes even back when Fire Emblem was estimated around $70-$80 million.

They've been uh... more open to the idea of more free 2 play games lately in their fiscal calls.

I get it, but it's also kinda sad considering Iwata's cautious position around F2P games (whether morally or fiscally motivated) did ring true... even if it was terrible for business.

NSESN

Nintendo as a publisher don't like the model, FEH is like that because of IS. Animal Crossing is EPD so I doubt it will use this model.

Somnid

I think I've played it every day since it came out but I haven't put money in. I'm happy to do a pull every week or two and get a bunch of garbage 3 stars. I can't imagine spending money to pull that lever though, literally a slot machine with nothing of real value.

redcrayon

Fire Emblem: "We mobile now"
The appeal of the mobile game is in collecting characters made familiar by the console games, so not really. I can't see many saying that Sharena and Alfonse are suddenly their favourite FE characters based on the paper-thin story in Heroes, the mobile game would be nothing without the attachment to the characters from lengthy rpg campaigns. It's more a case of 'digital marketing for the console games so profitable it means the console games are safe for the forseeable future', which is a damn sight healthier for the IP than the situation it was in five years ago.

Personally, I've played Heroes for a few minutes most weekdays since launch, and it's main achievement (aside from obviously having me engage with it on a daily basis) is in having me really looking forward to the Switch game next year.

Quonny

Nintendo as a publisher don't like the model, FEH is like that because of IS. Animal Crossing is EPD so I doubt it will use this model.

Animal Crossing will 100% have gacha.

Housing decorations, costumes, paint, whatever.

Mupod

I feel like part of the game's success is that it doesn't just target whales. I'm playing Fate Grand Order right now and unless you're prepared to spend upwards of $500-1000 you won't get shit. The boon/bane stat system is a drag but the rates aren't terrible and they give out currency at a steady pace.

I've had some of the worst streaks of bad luck in FEH I've ever heard of and I still get tempted once in a while. All it takes is them changing things up and dropping stuff like the Hero Fest banner (5% rate instead of 3%, and all infamous top tier characters). I've already spent slightly more than I'm comfortable with even though I certainly got plenty of enjoyment out of the game, and I'm still playing it.

Also if the sales start slowing down they've got plenty of options like implementing a guaranteed 5* paid-only banner, like other gacha games do.

Ezalc

This is good I suppose, but the game's gatcha format made me drop it which is a shame because everything else is pretty fun. Never put a penny into it though so there's that I guess.

VariantX

I'm willing to accept the storyline that Fire Emblem and eventually Animal Crossing on mobile is why we can have metroid returns and metroid prime 4.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's funny though, because they've been more than generous with the free stuff in the game.

One of the best teams you can make now is completely made of free to play characters

Top Bottom