• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (Switch) review thread

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
guess this is the closest we have to an OT.

Picked this up for full price. I disagree that this is a $20 title on Switch IMHO. Well, maybe it is a $20 or so title, but that it comes with all of the DLC instantly unlocked is a great selling point. Beyond that, I am all about supporting projects like this coming over here. I doubt something like this could exist at a $20 launch MSRP, and the more of these mid-tier games we have (not AAA, not indie) the better off the hobby will be.

With that being said.. you guys saying this isn't a musou game but a Fate game.. I mean holy shit... aside from the 20 seconds at the beginning.. yeah you have like 10-15 minutes of dialogue to get through before your first action sequence.. lol.. damn.

but yeah, the UI, voice acting, story to a slight degree (not my favorite Fate premise so far), and gameplay are all just the variety of Japanese traditional gaming that I've been looking for. Also doesn't hurt that I was able to grab Nero in FGO this week.. so I am on an Umu high right now.. Not a fan of her bride costume in-game.. but the drawn version during dialogue is worth it :D

KHlover

Banned
The couple hours I played of it so far were ok. The story is fanfiction level (I chose the female MC, but that doesn't stop Nero from wanting to bone her - and the feeling is mutual!) and the gameplay is pretty standard Musou stuff. Love the speed of the dash though :D

DESTROYA

Camera is the same. It's probably because I touched the right analogue stick which adjusts the camera.

PS4 screenshot for comparison.
dpaNxi2.jpg

Switch
wlHVmRi.jpg

Really doesn't look like much has been compromised between versions, not sure if this is my type of game at full price.
How are framerates when the action gets hot and heavy in portable mode?

Really doesn't look like much has been compromised between versions, not sure if this is my type of game at full price.
How are framerates when the action gets hot and heavy in portable mode?

Didn't notice any slowdown during gameplay in portable mode, it's pretty much locked to 30fps.

The only slowdown that happened which I recall was when alpha effects were on screen in a My Room Talk scene.

Top Bottom