• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Squared developers pleased with Switch sales, underperformed on Steam

So the other day SMG Studio, the developer of Death Squared, tweeted this:

k6eFiZR.png

While we don't have access to the same sales data as they do we can check SteamSpy which details that the game has sold 1,454 ± 1,272 on the Steam platform. Not great numbers :(
Exact Switch figures have not yet been shared with the public but the developers seems very happy with how the game has performed on Switch and this is backed with with a #7 rank on the UK eShop:

deathSquared_gameplay_4P_b.gif

Machina

Banned
Just another symptom of the Steam store being clogged up with unmitigated, uncurated trash. Valve have gone with the Android/App store approach and it is a huge discredit to them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean you're comparing the more overcrowded market vs a market that needs to be crowded much more.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well there is a reason why so many Indie devs wanna get their games on Switch asap...the plattform is great for this type of games and there isnt as much competition as on the other more established platforms.

I mean you're comparing the more overcrowded market vs a market that needs to be crowded much more.

While true...the Steam/PC market is also much much bigger - so usually a game should perform better even if it can only attract a smaller part of the overcrowded market. Well you would at least hope so as a dev.

Maximo

Just another symptom of the Steam store being clogged up with unmitigated, uncurated trash. Valve have gone with the Android/App store approach and it is a huge discredit to them.

I mean or the switch fanbase being ravenous for any and all games.

Mmhmm

On Steam you can play pretty much everything. Whereas on Switch you have a much smaller library ATM.

I agree but it's still impressive that the game found an audience seeming as it released the week before Splatoon 2 and the same day as multiple other indies such as Levels+, De Mambo and Bulb Boy.

wrowa

Even if you disregard all of the trash completely, there's an endless amount of quality indie games on Steam. The problem isn't just that good games get drowned in bad games, it's that there are so many good games that it's hard even for good games to gain visibility among other good games.

Switch on the other hand has a userbase that is hungry for more but only a modest amount of new releases each week. It's much easier to be seen this way.

If all good indie titles would release on Switch, games like Death Squared would have similar visibility problems.

watershed

Banned
I hope the game continues to do well for them on the Switch. It seems like it flew under the radar but I guess enough people have taken notice of it. Those Steam sales are ouch.

I hope the game continues to do well for them on the Switch. It seems like it flew under the radar but I guess enough people have taken notice of it. Those Steam sales are ouch.

I feel like it's the kind of game that people will buy once it goes on sale. Hopefully the Steam numbers see a boost soon.

An unknown indie games sells poorly on a highy competitive marketplace but good on an underdeveloped desolate marketplace. Quelle surprise

taoofjord

Niche game for sure and the entire ecosystem is over saturated. Which isn't the case on the Switch and won't be for a couple more years.

Anyway, the game is pretty decent. I picked it up on launch and have enjoyed my time with it so far.

JoeInky

Local co-op games just don't sell that well on PC, especially when it's something noones ever heard of.

I wonder how long we're going to be hearing "people only bought it because there's nothing else to play on switch" for.

Usobuko

Banned
An unknown indie games sells poorly on a highy competitive marketplace but good on an underdeveloped desolate marketplace. Quelle surprise

Yep.

There are so many stuff on steam that people would go to first before they ventured into the extreme niche, that's including the niche-but-not-very-niche stuff.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Switch owners don't have as many games to choose from as PC owners, even without the garbage.

Or a symptom of mature platform with thousands of games and huge backlogs vs new platform where people are hungry for software with much lower competition.

The Boat

Now is the time to put the foot in the door when it comes to the switch. Devs can either take advantage of this period and establish a userbase or wait for their precious test games to fail, so they have an excuse for missing out later.

Even if you disregard all of the trash completely, there's an endless amount of quality indie games on Steam. The problem isn't just that good games get drowned in bad games, it's that there are so many good games that it's hard even for good games to gain visibility among other good games.

Exactly this. I am 100% convinced people that think that the issue is "trash games drowning good games on Steam" don't actually give a fuck about indie games on Steam. There's no way to have even a passing interest and commitment to buying and playing indie games and not realizing the insane amount of excellent titles that are on Steam.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
One thing is that me and many other people already have their Steam Libary filled with a dozen of very good indie games they never even got to play...so unless a new indie title is the best game ever i wont even think about purchasing it.

The likelihood of me playing a game on Switch is much higher than playing it on the PC/big screen.

The price, local multiplayer only, and the fact that it's a block game makes it hard to stand out in the massive pile of games on Steam.

So it's understandable that it would sell better on the Switch instead.

On the Switch the price looks better comparatively, Switch users are more likely to enjoy local multiplayer, and Switch owners are still thirsty for games so they won't likely be discouraged by the block aesthetic.

KHlover

Banned
I have more games in my steam account than there are available on the Switch total, so the size of the respective store miiiight have something to do with the sales we see here.

I think we're gonna see this story repeat itself with many indies. I expect Azure Striker Pack on Switch to sell much better than Gunvolt 1 on Steam, ditto for Sonic Mania.

Shantae half genie hero would have been the same if it hadn't been late, methinks.

If you buy on Switch, you can play the game whenever, wherever, however you want with no sacrifices.

Budi

Congrats on the success with Switch, I'll try to keep this game in mind next time my friend asks me for couch co-op games on PC. Though I feel I will forget this, first time ever hearing about the game even.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think we're gonna see this story repeat itself with many indies. I expect Azure Striker Pack on Switch to sell much better than Gunvolt 1 on Steam, ditto for Sonic Mania.

Shantae half genie hero would have been the same if it hadn't been late, methinks.

If you buy on Switch, you can play the game whenever, wherever, however you want with no sacrifices.

And you also don't have the choices steam offers.

MoogleMan

Really I blame their reluctance to put it on sale as a factor in why their steam numbers are so low.

They know the steam sale mentality...

That's....bullshit.

The problem is that the number of Steam games is infinitely bigger than on Switch. There's a lot of competition on the platform, while on Swicth your game may be more visible and has less games to compete with in your genre.

People think that just putting your indie game on Steam will magically make it famous or something.

Usobuko

Banned
That's....bullshit.

The problem is that the number of Steam games is infinitely bigger than on Switch. There's a lot of competition on the platform, while on Swicth your game may be more visible and has less games to compete with in your genre.

People think that just putting your indie game on Steam will magically make it famous or something.

Exactly, I have never heard of this game but from the top of my head if there's an indie I wanna buy on any platform atm it's Hollow Knight, Rime, What Remains of Edith Finch and maybe Nex Machina or Little Nightmares.

These get prioritized from the good words-of-mouth over the Internet.

I mean the size of the store plays a role in whats happened, but it really just comes down to "Did people hear about your game".

You plop a great game on steam with no marketing, yea its gonna get buried.
You plop a great game on the switch store, which highly favours new releases then its probably going to get some attention.

This is ignoring the fact that playing local multiplayer on a switch is amazing,
and on pc it sucks.

Oregano

All I'm reading from this thread is more devs should take advantage of the growing Switch userbase.

Yeah its amazing how its continually used to dismiss the success of Switch/Nintendo platform games despite the fact that it actually means there is a big opportunity for smaller developers.

Top Bottom