• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh had over 500,000 sales in Asia (including Japan)

DKHF

Yosuke Hayashi from Team Ninja revealed at ChinaJoy that Nioh has had over 500,000 sales from Asia (including Japan). It was announced Nioh sold/shipped 1 million copies in February but we didn't know how much was from Asia.

The last Media Create Japanese physical sales number we got for Nioh was 133,401.

Source: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201707/27138560.html

Guymelef

There's a reason why Bandai Namco and KT translated almost everything now in Asia.
Asia markets outside Japan are really strong for PlayStation.

wapplew

That like 85/15 split Asia vs Japan, can't be right...
Really impressive if true. Yakuza split was 50/50, Asia market growth getting really crazy now.
DW9 will be huge, Chinese VO and simultaneously release, good job KT.

DKHF

Really impressive if true. Yakuza split was 50/50, Asia market growth getting really crazy now.
I think it can partially be explained by this game likely having an unusally high amount of digital sales in Japan because in Japan it was understocked at launch and discounted on PSN to encourage sales while it was out of stock.

Menitta

I'm glad this game did well. It's got really tight combat and I hope there's a sequel because there's clear room for improvement.

black070

I remember when all these Q1/Q2 2017 Japanese releases were being laughed off as niche and unimportant, but we've had so many success stories with this, Persona and Nier. I'd be interested to hear how Yakuza fared in the West, and one can only hope Gravity Rush did what it needed.

There's a reason why Bandai Namco and KT translated almost everything now in Asia.

You are absolutely right, take my country for example, 10 years ago only few games are translated to traditional chinese in here Taiwan, many of us are forced to learn English and Japanese just to play the latest Devil May Cry and Resident Evil games. Now almost 90% of games are localized, besides Nintendo (they just don't care about Taiwan).

According to Makoto Asanuma from Bandai Namco, out of all the branch in Asia, Taiwan has always been the number one in terms of overall game sales. It's surprising how well triple A games are doing here, we are a very small country with a population of only 23 million and yet the game sales are some of the best in Asia outside Japan.

I alone bought at least one triple A games every month, sometimes up to three, most of my friends do so.

Usobuko

Banned
Even assuming 200k in Japan, this is good numbers for Nioh in Asia.

Nintendo should step it up and serve the audience here better. One day they will realize how untapped they were in this region.

Zhao_Yun

You are absolutely right, take my country for example, 10 years ago only few games are translated to traditional chinese in here Taiwan, many of us are forced to learn English and Japanese just to play the latest Onimusha and Resident Evil games. Now almost 90% of games are localized, besides Nintendo (they just don't care about Taiwan).

According to Makoto Asanuma from Bandai Namco, out of all the branch in Asia, Taiwan has always been the number one in terms of overall game sales. It's surprising how well triple A games are doing here, we are a very small country with a population of only 23 million and yet the game sales are some of the best in Asia outside Japan.

I alone bought at least one triple A games every month, sometimes up to three, most of my friends do so.

Is the Switch being sold officially in Taiwan? Asking because I heard that the Wii U was never officially sold in many Asian countries.

Is the Switch being sold officially in Taiwan? Asking because I heard that the Wii U was never officially sold in many Asian countries.

No, it's still not. Most harcore Nintendo fans here have to buy overpriced imports from Japan. Not me though, I am not giving in.

I just don't understand Nintendo, sometimes they seems to be stuck in the past. There's no reason to ignore Taiwan, we are very close too if you look at the map.

Also, I edited Onimusha out casue I forgot that series was acutally localized in Taiwan. Fun fact, the lead character Samanosuke is actually modeled after a Taiwanese actor named 金城武 (Takeshi Kaneshiro).

Kaworu

More like West 50 Asia 35 Japan 15

I guess this is why Sony isn't too pressed about Japan. They were smart to penetrate other markets; it's going to pay dividends.

mejin

Wonder if the game surpassed 1.5M worldwide by now.

Anyway, it's great Asia is doing their part, more games localized to english.

This is the first time that I've heard about this thing.

It's a yearly event that's primarily based on sales. PSN Awards (best selling PSN-only games), Gold (500k+) and Platinum (1m+). This year should see at least two Platinum games (FFXV and DQXI).

Anyway, the first time I noticed Asia had become a big deal for developers is when Nagoshi mentioned how big Yakuza has become there. It's already been released throughout Asia while we're still waiting for it in the US. :/ Well, except Korea as they had to can it days before it was scheduled to launch there.

So, 1.3-1.5 million is possible by now?

If not now than maybe when a "Nioh: Ultimate Sengoku Edition" comes out next year or something.

Best PS4 exclusive this year and probably the best since Bloodborne. I think this game will go down as a classic when all is said and done. Its convoluted crafting system seems to give the game so legs as its subreddit and the GameFAQs forum are very much alive and the post-release support has been good.

I think that's excluding Middle-East.

The game was published and distributed (outside of Japan) by Sony, and Middle-East is part of SIEE, not SIEJA.

It's not just the Middle East, India's part of SIEE too. It's easier to say what's included than excluded:

SIEJA: East and South East Asia
SIEE: Everywhere else

Anyway, great to hear. The growth throughout the region has really helped offset the dire state of the Japanese console market.

PSqueak

Banned

I know this is only tangentially related, but then this is good news for SRW fans worldwide!

I think it can partially be explained by this game likely having an unusally high amount of digital sales in Japan because in Japan it was understocked at launch and discounted on PSN to encourage sales while it was out of stock.

it was also out of stock in europe on release in many regions. took weeks for amazon to get another shipment.

anyway, game is amazing and a true success story. over 100h played and still not finished. they don't stop with the content.

DKHF

it was also out of stock in europe on release in many regions. took weeks for amazon to get another shipment.
I'm aware, was just talking about Japan's case for this game within the Asian market. And I think the situation was a bit different in Japan than other places it was out of stock because they gave that digital discount only a couple days after launch to combat it. I don't think that digital discounting happened so soon in Europe/NA, but maybe I'm forgetting.

Top Bottom