• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms Metroid: Samus Returns’ Fusion mode can only be unlocked by amiibo

WonderzL

Banned
That's the shittiest move they have made with amiibo. Star Fox Zero didn't have this. What the fuck.

A game where you explore and get things with your own skill with a mode behind a paywall.fuck

I plan on getting those two amiibo anyway, but there needs to be a legitimate download only option for people. It's one thing when costumes or color changes are involved, but this is legitimate gameplay they are locking behind a physical product that will almost assuredly sell out now. Hell, amiibo cards are a decent substitute

This is really slimy. It won't bother me personally since I have the two new ones pre-ordered and the previous Samus ones, but man.

Utterly baffling, it's like they went out of their way to confirm people's worst fears about amiibo specific content and undermine their long awaited Metroid return in one fell swoop.

It really, REALLY should've just been a cosmetic fusion suit option, like the rest of the "small bonus" amiibo boons.

Fuck.

I really, really wish shit like Skylanders and Disney Infinity never existed. Amiibos were obviously a result of Nintendo being extremely desperate after how much of a failure the Wii U turned out to be, so they looked at how popular the whole toys to life gimmick was at the time and decided that they wanted their piece of the pie. And now it's leading us to garbage like this.

GeekyDad

It's...whatever. Still don't seem to know whether the mode is anything other than just playing through in a different costume. If it's actually a mode that offer substantial gameplay, then...

...still whatever

Shahed

I doubt it, you'll also be able to access it by downloading someone else's save.
You can do that? I thought saves were locked to the account and device with no way to transfer? I know I couldn't find a way to back up my Breath of tbe Wild save

Scrawnton

I wouldn't mind this if the amiibo isn't impossible to find. Locking features behind amiibo is one thing, then making the amiibo rare as hell is a completely other problem that makes this move even worse.

Chauzu

Sadly not too surprised considering the success for amiibo and a lot of people buying amiibo wanting them to have more usage in games. This is obviously the worst case so far, even if there is some Hard mode to unlock without the Fusion suit.

SuperPac

What’s the difference between that and offering it only as paid DLC? Amiibos, especially these Metroid ones, are awesome.

JaffeLion

Banned
you know, DLC was considered bad, but at least anyone can buy it, online, just one click... but with this crap amiibo DLC.. a) you have to find this stupid amiibo, and what if its sold out?! you will NEVER be able to play this DLC and b) even if its available you have to buy it and wait until it arrives..

amiibo DLC is the worst thing nintendo ever did in recent history.

marmoka

Banned
Fuck!!

I will get the Metroid Amiibo because it's cool, but I have the old 3ds and I cannot make use of it unless i buy another shitty accessory

Well... Screw the Fusion suit. I wonder how nintendo feels when considering they wasted time and money developing a hard more with a different suit, that only a few people will make use of it

Dnetwork7

Neo Member
Wow, so is everyone finally going to realize amiibo are pretty much physical DLC and that they are cancer to the industry?

Shiggy

Too bad that ToniCodrea isn't here anymore. He could make a "parody" thread: Metroid Samus Returns asks me for money

BigEmil

Some people on the other thread was so sure it wouldn't be locked behind the pieces of plastics lol

Ceadeus

Ah well, i'll never know this mode.

I don't see myself owning video game toys. I own nothing related to video game beside actual video games and that is enough.

Anyway an extra 20$ for a mode? what a steal omg..

Both Samus and Metroid amiibo look good though but I'm not 10 years old anymore, what a bad Idea to link a mode that kids won't probably be able to go through to a toy that is meant to be sold for them.

Wow, so is everyone finally going to realize amiibo are pretty much physical DLC and that they are cancer to the industry?
Its 100% physical dlc but I dont think anyone can agree on if we should have Paid DLC or not. Certainly a lot of people like it so it's not going away.

Top Bottom