• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Last of Us Remastered

ornery

Thanks to Gaffers in this thread, went ahead and downloaded TLoU last night.

About 45 minutes into the game, my initial thoughts:

ho

lee

shit

So much has already happened.

I'm overwhelmed.

Lylo

It's a great game. Is it your first playthrough? I'm glad you're enjoying, i couldn't finish it a second time to be honest, to me it's a one time experience.

RSchmitz

Buckle up.
I replayed it last year and still love it. I liked it even more the 2nd time without the tension of the unknown that puts me of horror/survival games.

BeeDog

A glorious game that just gets better as it goes. Quite frankly, the starting areas are shit compared to what's coming.

I wish I could go back in time and enjoy it for the first time again.

latest

Fullgrain

Neo Member
I play it through once every year. And I'm blown away every time.

By the way, just so you don't have to be stressed out, it's probably the only survival horror game that doesn't have any jump scares. It's so good it doesn't need them.

ornery

I play it through once every year. And I'm blown away every time.

By the way, just so you don't have to be stressed out, it's probably the only survival horror game that doesn't have any jump scares. It's so good it doesn't need them.

You have no idea how much this helps.

Thank you. Deeply.

I'm replaying it right now in 2160p/30 FPS on my 60" 4K Sammy.

Cinematic doesn't even begin to do the experience justice ...

Hey guys, most of you are probably fans of game in here.

FYI, the SYFY series FaceOff's most recent episode was about zombie/mutations and had Druckmann as one of the judges. It was a pretty good episode, too. A lot of the make-ups favored the infected in TLOU.

SomTervo

Arguably it has a bad dip in the second part (of like 6) which you'll probably each in about 1.5-2 hours.

Push through any slow bits. The back half of the game is basically perfect.

The opening part is one if not the biggest highlight of the game. It's far from being the boring section of the game.

Unless OP is super slow and bad at games, there's no way he's still playing the opening scene 45 minutes later.

Horns

Took me 3 or 4 hours to really get into it. Loved it so much I immediately started a second play through after completion. Thought the beginning was only OK, but it gets really good soon enough.

No spoilers but I loved the ending. Anything different and I would have been pissed.

ChazGW7

Constantly argue with myself over this and Nier: Automata being my favourite game of all time. Every day its one or the other, but this game is a true masterpiece.

Panzon

Can't wait to play this once I finish horizon. I don't really know anything about the game other than everyone praising it

It is definitely in my top 5 favourite games, potentially number one. The gameplay, graphics, characters, music, story, animation and pacing are so good in their own right, and when together the game feels like a masterpiece (at least to me).

Glad you are enjoying it.

I remember when it released on PS3, it released on a Friday on my birthday, so I booked it off work and played through it over the weekend. I've since replayed it 7 or 8 times across PS3 and PS4. It's a really great game. To be honest I don't even get the complaints people have about the combat. I get that it's subjective, but I thought the combat felt great throughout.

SomTervo

You have no idea how much this helps.

Thank you. Deeply.

It IS possible to be snuck up on, which is a jump scare but not hard coded; dynamic. There aren't any full in-your-face jump scares programmed into the game.

Can't wait to play this once I finish horizon. I don't really know anything about the game other than everyone praising it

So damn jealous

Duffman

I remember when it released on PS3, it released on a Friday on my birthday, so I booked it off work and played through it over the weekend. I've since replayed it 7 or 8 times across PS3 and PS4. It's a really great game. To be honest I don't even get the complaints people have about the combat. I get that it's subjective, but I thought the combat felt great throughout.

They nailed the combat in my opinion and I say this as a person who doesn't enjoy Uncharted gameplay at all.

danmaku

I remember loving being able to move around in the backseat of the car during the intro. It's a small touch but being able to observe whatever you think is more interesting (the people talking or what's happening outside) brings the player so much closer to the character.

Snoopycat

Banned
Thought it was average to be honest. The gameplay was nothing special. The story was ok. I liked that. Graphics were fine. To me gameplay is all that matters and unfortunately the gameplay was let down by the terrible, immersion breaking A.I and the repetitive, mindless shootouts. I liked the world ND created and there's a lot of promise there. It's just a shame they didn't do more with it.

Croash

Enjoy it, you haven't scratched the surface of how awesome it is.

By the time I reached the ending (~ 14 hours), it felt like I had experienced the first 6/7 hours of the game years before! As if I had played a game and its sequel, so I have vivid memories of the sequel but merely bits and pieces of the original.

I then again observed this when watching friends going through TLoU. It has so much going on that the first chapters feel like they were from another game. So. Fucking. Good. It makes the adventure feel huge.

(Edit: Just to be clear, not talking about how long it takes to beat the game, only that to me the pacing was fantastic)

SomTervo

Thought it was average to be honest. The gameplay was nothing special. The story was ok. I liked that. Graphics were fine. To me gameplay is all that matters and unfortunately the gameplay was let down by the terrible, immersion breaking A.I and the repetitive, mindless shootouts. I liked the world ND created and there's a lot of promise there. It's just a shame they didn't do more with it.

The npcs walking in front of enemies? A non issue. The game would have been panned if they triggered alarms and it doesn't happen THAT often.

The ai being too stupid? A non issue. Any harder and it would have been unfair. Iirc that's how they were months before release and it wasn't fun so they toned it down.

Mindless shootouts? Play on Hard-Grounded. Entering a shoot out is basically a death sentence. It becomes an intense stealth/survival game.

Shambala

Lol man I just beat that game for the 8th time on Sunday. I just replay it just to experience it over and over. Ur in for a great ride

Van Bur3n

I hope you're at least playing on Survival or Grounded. It's the best way to play the game in my most humble of opinions.

fore release and it wasn't fun so they toned it down.

Mindless shootouts? Play on Hard-Grounded. Entering a shoot out is basically a death sentence. It becomes an intense stealth/survival game.

The stealth could be a whole lot better if you had the ability to actually move and hide bodies, or interact with your environment and close doors. An issue with all games that involve stealth but aren't fully-fledged stealth games. And it's quite annoying.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
take note of those bits where you have to find a ladder in grass or push a trash can against a wall that feel like tutorials.

that's all there is.

it's still a good game overall, but the gameplay is really lacking and really felt like a chore during the second playthrough.

SomTervo

I hope you're at least playing on Survival or Grounded. It's the best way to play the game in my most humble of opinions.

The stealth could be a whole lot better if you had the ability to actually move and hide bodies, or interact with your environment and close doors. An issue with all games that involve stealth but aren't fully-fledged stealth games. And it's quite annoying.

I think ND see those systems as wasted energy. They are targeting massive sales margins, so systems that players won't use or that add lots of balancing will not be a priority for them. I've no doubt 90% of players would not move a body even if they included that mechanic.

Basically I'm saying it's simple but that's so the playability isn't bogged down in anything. It's very pure and straightforward. But that doesn't mean it's not deep imo - clever AI that changes its patterns, distractions, consumables like shivs etc - make it dynamic enough. I replay the game a couple of times a year and stealth encounters almost always pan out differently.

I'm also talking as an obsessive stealth game fanatic. I love deep stealth. Completed all the Thief games, Splinter Cell games, MGS games, etc, on highest difficulties. Just finished the Dishonored DLC on Master. I've even worked on two stealth games.

TLoU's stealth is simple but elegant. It's thematically perfect too.

dedhead54

I've only played through it twice but its a top 3 game of all time for me. I should play it again soon. The pacing after the first hour or so is just perfect.

Top Bottom