• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: "Dragon Quest 11 PS4/ PS4 Pro: JPRG Meets Unreal Engine 4"

Just went up. Link.

Japanese developers are getting some great results from Unreal Engine 4. Dragon Quest 11 follows suit! It's available now in Japan and coming to the West next year. Thankfully John understands Japanese, so he can give you this early preview!

Article!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Summary for those who can't watch?

Summary: Looks goddamn amazing.

The 3DS version looks like a completely different game.

PS4 is 900p. PRO is 3072x1728 checkerboard, upscaled to 2160p. The UI is native 4K.

Ōkami

I've played over 50 hours on the original PS4, from the looks of it John played the opening hours.

The game is not locked at 30fps, there are drops, and they're noticeable, not a huge problem, but they're there.

B00TE

It just looks so crazy good. Good to know I'm not missing too much playing on an OG PS4. Just so hyped for this, the more I see the more I wanna import it right the hell now.

burgerdog

It looks so damn good. I've only played DQ1 and 2 on iOS and a bit of DQ5 but I'll be all over this next year.

^
lmao

Wut? How does this happen? Is the game really taxing?

I'm wondering it it's something to do with UE4. I've only played a few UE4 games so far but none have ran well. Between ARK and Fortnite too they both have a strange issue with sharers that causes some real strange artefacts. It's lessened in Fortnite but you can still produce it, particularly when facing to the sky.

Dunkley

900p on base PS4
1728c on Pro
Locked 30fps on both
Fast loading on both

One thing that's worth mentioning is that PS4 Pro suffers from slight blurring during motion due to an imperfect checkerboarding implementation, which isn't present on PS4 due to not using CB.

Higher res does make up for it tho in my opinion.

CHC

I'm on mobile with no sound but do they get into anti aliasing details? The 900p is a shame but I can deal if it has that silky temporal AA we've been seeing lately. Some of these post process solutions really manage to obliterate aliasing and really soften up the image overall, in a good way.

Aeana

I've been splitting my time with the PS4 version between my 4K TV and in a window on my PC at 1080p, and it really looks incredible in both situations. The 4K UI is really very nice though.

As someone mentioned above, there are occasional drops not mentioned here. They're fairly sparse, but they happen.

Does the game support HDR?

Nope.

This video is kinda proof on why I shouldn't really trust fan impressions on this forum. People kept talking about load times when comparing PS4 vs 3DS versions and this video is saying load times are short as hell, and battle transitions are quick and smooth...

Shin

Banned
The game seriously looks beautiful in 4K*, can't imagine how it looks like on one's TV.
I do think that they could have bumped the resolution on both PS4/Pro because there doesn't seem to be a single drop in frame at all on it's current resolution.
Could have probably avoided the blurry grass on Pro by raising the resolution as well.

Aeana

Well, it is. ��

Sort of. The story is the same, areas just look different.

This video is kinda proof on why I shouldn't really trust fan impressions on this forum. People kept talking about load times when comparing PS4 vs 3DS versions and this video is saying load times are short as hell, and battle transitions are quick and smooth...

Loading times on PS4 vary. If you're transitioning from one area to another neighboring area, they're short. Teleport to a totally different area and they'll be a bit longer. In the end, though, 3DS definitely loads everything faster.

Wereroku

*nervous laughter*

Does anyone want to tell him?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340484

No I know that. I mean they have to actually force the game to render at 1080P. If they just render it at 4K only it will automatically downsample. I assume John would mention if it had a different resolution on an HD screen.

Oh man, I completely neglected to test that! Let me check and get back to you.

Or not nevermind let us know when you find out John. Though I wonder if 1080P with no blur and probably zero drops wouldn't be a bad thing either. Blah I wish they let you choose like XBX is going to.

Rpgmonkey

IIRC they made the game in a fairly reasonable amount of time as well.

Not that KH3 and FFVII won’t be interesting from a technical standpoint but I imagine they’ll be very big outliers in the amount of dev time they have and what they’re trying to achieve. I’m more interested to see what other developers that are making RPGs that roughly match DQ11’s specification (standard 2-3 years of development, not open world, very reliant on art and not trying to display technical wizardry) will pull off with UE4, I think DQ11 has been a good sign overall.

Damn Pro resolution bump is pretty big.

Well, less than double the pixels are fully rendered on PS4 Pro. Given that the GPU is more than twice as strong (although the memory isn't..), it's not that great. Still better than 1080p of course.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
now if only amazon.jp would let me order the game and ship it to germany again......
talking about the ps4 version they stopped shipping it to germany a few days ago

Top Bottom