• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1, 2 and 3 coming to PS4 and 3DS in Japan in August

DKHF

Dragon Quest 1, 2 and 3 will be released for PS4 and 3DS in Japan in August for the prices shown in the image. This news comes after it was discovered a few days ago that you can get DQ1 for free for doing something in DQXI. These are most likely to be the mobile versions since the DQ1 available through DQXI is the mobile version.

apwGCBj.jpg

ranmafan

The Dragon Quest news just gets better and better today! And I was thinking of getting the now extremely expensive Wii version, but Ill just go ahead and get these instead. Fantastic news!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really hope they release it here. I really want get in to the series and this would be perfect for me.

Sophia

Will this be a remake or a port of the nes/gbc/snes versions?

These will almost certainly be based off the SNES versions, as every version afterwords is based off of.

I'm in for Dragon Quest 3 on the 3DS. It's one of my favorite games. <3

Daouzin

These will almost certainly be based off the SNES versions, as every version afterwords is based off of.

I'll take it, but I wish they would remake them in the DQ XI engine and use DQ XI assets. That would be so ridiculously awesome. haha.

Ōkami

What you get in XI is the mobile version, so expect that.

Unlike the FF mobile ports, ita really good, better than on SFC.

Sophia

The dream of 1-9 and 11 all playable on my 3DS is alive and well. Gimme gimme square

Huh... yeah... with this you'd be able to play every game on the 3DS, wouldn't you?

DQ 1, 2, 3 have these 3DS ports
DQ 4, 5, and 6 have DS remakes
DQ 7 has a 3DS remake
DQ 8 has a 3DS port
DQ 9 was on the DS to begin with.
DQ 10 was ported (even if it's Japan only)

Interesting. Guess someone at Square wanted to complete the colleciton.

LOCK

You can now own the entire series on the 3DS. 3DS is moving towards legendary status. Still a while before GOAT.

As I said in the builders thread, a great time to be a DQ fan.

urfe

Holy fucking shit. I really hope there's a way to play the originals with these.

I beat them on iOS recently, but I really really want to play perfectly emulated Famicom versions too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hope they release these in English on PS4 in anticipation for DQXI.

The free DQ1 you get through DQXI has trophies so I would say they'll definitely have them.

No plat though, sadly.

Fingers crossed for localisations and for SE to keep the DQ's coming. I'd love to see DQVIII get a PS2 Classics release on PS4, or better yet, a proper remaster.

iGeodude

Woot! I will pick these up if they come to America. I've been wanting to get into DQ but I don't want to play the GBC or Mobile versions. Hopefully they're better than the mobile versions.

The 3DS version of DQX was streaming from the cloud. Is it still playable that way? For some reason I remember it getting discontinued...

iGeodude

but the mobile versions are actually great

Really? Hmm, I thought I heard otherwise. Anyway I just hope these new versions are the best quality wise like graphics, music, modern improvements, etc. If the mobile versions are exactly that then I'm excited.

They are? I search for Dragon Quest and Dragon Warrior and only find 7 and 8?
4-6 are on DS which can be played on 3DS.

X is out in Japan only.
Really? Hmm, I thought I heard otherwise. Anyway I just hope these new versions are the best quality wise like graphics, music, modern improvements, etc. If the mobile versions are exactly that then I'm excited.

It's the FF mobile ports that are bad, not DQ.

Sophia

The mobile ports of DQ1-3 are based off the SNES/GBC versions. They have a few minor issues, but they're pretty stellar for the most part.

There's also mobile ports of DQ4-6, which are based off the DS versions.

Is there a consesus of which one of these are best? I hear people like V an awful lot, which is not part of this.

Honestly. There's no reason to play Dragon Quest 1 anymore unless you're curious about the evolution of the series. It's *very* dated and pretty basic. Dragon Quest 2 is a bit better, but still pretty simple.

Dragon Quest 3, however, is a time-tested classic that still stands up today. Easily one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Berordn

Is there a consesus of which one of these are best? I hear people like V an awful lot, which is not part of this.

Probably 3. DQ1 is really basic and pretty short and while it's neat to see it preserved, outside of its historical relevance there's nothing really spectacular about it. DQ2 has a lot of issues with pacing and balance (that may have been resolved with the later ports - I can't really recall off the top of my head) but added parties to the series for the first time which was also neat. DQ3 resolves most of that and adds a job system on top so you have some actual control over your party for the first time, and it still holds up pretty well.

The only issues I can think of are the aspect ratio (they're portrait mode only) that led to weird scaling on the map, and the lack of buttons (can't say I minded).

I haven't seen how the versions unlocked in DQXI work, but I assume they fix this.

(Speaking of I-III. IV-VI look great)

gblues

Banned
but the mobile versions are actually great

The mobile versions are mostly great. There's an annoying scaling bug in both I and II that butchers the pixel art, and the Helvetica font, while serviceable, is kinda dull.

Is the unlockable dq1 in DQXI the Famicom version or one based on mobile version?

Was hoping for a physical version, even if it'd be a limited collector edition or something. I really want a physical stack of all the mainline DQ games playable on 3DS on my shelf lol

Top Bottom