• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If there was a 90s Stranger Things, what films would inspire it

Bleepey

I am surprised it hasn't been greenlit already considering how prevalent 90s nostalgia is but what films would it be based on? I know Stranger Things wears its influences Stephen King kids movies like Stand by me as well as the Goonies proudly but no films come to mind immediately for the 90s. 3 ninja kids? No thanks.

Dice//

Banned
90s felt a bit bigger on lawyer drama or political thrillers and cop mystery, so maaaybe like that?? Good question.

The 90's just didn't have the same kind of art that could inspire such a thing. If you absolutely had to pick something I guess maybe

The X-files
Hackers
The Matrix / Dark City

Oddduck

When I think of the 1990's, I think of stuff like:

Goosebumps
Men in Black
Scream
Wayne's World
Hocus Pocus
The Mighty Ducks
The Sandlot
Kindegarden Cop
The Mask
American Pie
There's Something About Mary
Fargo
The Matrix

Edit: Oh and Independence Day.

EulaCapra

The Sandlot
Hocus Pocus
Casper
The Addams Family
Terminator 2
Mortal Kombat

For the most part, it's macabre for the whole family!

Aselith

We're still dealing with the same age range?

Probably Mighty Ducks
The Sand Lot
The War

Stuff like that

I would prefer something inspired by The War because that movie is boss as hell.

What year? Early 90s, mid 90s, late 90s? Early 90s would have been set in the 1960s instead of the 1980s. If were done in the later 90s, I could see it based in the early 1970s.

If Stranger Things was concieved in he 1980s it would probably be set in the mid 1950s.so many throwback TV shows and movies were inspired by 1950's sci-fi and horror schlock.

I think an early 90s Stranger Things would be very different from a mid to late 90s Stranger Things. Hard for me to say what the top influences would be?

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
It would probably take a lot from Jurassic Park and Terminator 2. I don't remember a lot of kids movies where it felt like a group coming of age together. Any films that were like that felt like 80s transplants.

JP and T2 had kids most stereotypically reminiscent of the 90s.

Honestly I think a 90s Stranger Things would pull more from television.

Are people here just naming their favorite movies?

Anyways I think it would have more of a focus on high school kids. And a murder mystery. Twin Peaks would probably be a major source of inspiration.

Aselith

Are people here just naming their favorite movies?

Anyways I think it would have more of a focus on high school kids. And a murder mystery. Twin Peaks would probably be a major source of inspiration.

Stranger Things is about grade school kids though. Why would a 90's one be about high schoolers?

Kill3r7

Mallrats, Wayne's World and Hackers.

Home alone and Jurassic Park if focused of kids in middle school. Town would be reminiscent of Twin Peaks.

PudieRSC

A 90's set Stranger Things just wouldn't work, but if they did attempt it they'd probably go more slasher with a lot of gore.

I think it would pull from a mix of film and television.

The story of Stranger Things can very much work in the '90s so if we were to just make a '90s version, it would probably pull from something like Jurassic Park (film) and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV). With all the teen movies that released back then, I think the core characters would be teenagers.

A 90's set Stranger Things just wouldn't work, but if they did attempt it they'd probably go more slasher with a lot of gore.

It'd have to be a lot more cynical and edgy, and probably feature older kids (high school?). Stranger Things does a good job of capturing the feel of youthful optimism that is displayed in a lot of the more popular/memorable 80s movies scifi/fantasy movies (Goonies, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones).

kunonabi

Yeah, im having hard time thinking of movies in that sort of age range with that material. At least with tv you could mine goosebumps, are you afraid of the dark, and Eerie Indiana.

When i think of coming of age kind of films my mind pretty much goes to my girl and gold diggers.

Reading this thread has got me thinking of how wild a clueless/craft mashup could be.

Actually the overall 90s vibe to me would be clueless and clarissa explains it all but i tuned most of that decade out to be honest.

RBIYF

Neo Member
I feel if we can find any kind of overlap, the sci-fi movies of the 90's seemed to have a theme of questioning the nature of reality, where "reality" wasn't real - or at least real in the way we perceived it, but rather a hidden manipulation or simulation, occasionally mixed with the whole 90's fixation on "cyber" / cyberpunk. Think the following 90's movies:

The Matrix
Total Recall
The X-Files
Dark City
The 13th Floor
Strange Days
Jacob's Ladder
Existenz
Flatliners
Men in Black (sorta fits into the whole "what is real? / real world behind the curtain" theme)

Top Bottom