• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Living with my crush/best friend for the next 2 weeks

UPDATE: Guys it's been already done. I'm already moved into her house and will see her when she returns from vacation tomorrow.

Background: I've known this girl for about 4 years now and have a very complicated relationship with her. We have acknowledged feelings for each other in the past, but due to to her expecting herself to become more religious in the future (she's catholic, I'm muslim) and the implications that has on existing family/future family, she effectively rejected me and is adamant that she won't change her mind. I don't want to get super detailed on the aftermath but basically it's been a toxic relationship of lots of fights, drunk texts/snaps of wanting each other, cycles of ignoring then nonstop talking, etc etc etc. The beginning of this summer we did take a break from communication for about a month but now we're in nonstop talking mode again. At this point we just consider each other best friends because, lets face it, she likes the attention I give her and I like the attention she gives me.

Now: So I was recently hired for a company that is pretty close to her house. Due to my apartment lease not beginning until later this month, she offered to let me stay at her house with her family. Her mom is out of the house most of the time (spends the night at her BF's) and her brother is about to move to college this week so it'd be mostly just me, her, and her dogs in the house. I thought about it for a few weeks and concluded it'd be worth to save the couple of thousands of dollars and live with her.

Have any of ya'll been in a similar situation? Let me be clear that my intention is to not get with her or anything these next 2 weeks. I just want to spend some quality time with her/not make anything awkward, perhaps become better friends. I'm already going to be at work majority of the day so it's really only a couple of hours everyday I'm anxious about. Any DOs/DONTs do ya'll have to offer?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Have any of ya'll been in a similar situation? Let me be clear that my intention is to not get with her or anything these next 2 weeks. I just want to spend some quality time with her/not make anything awkward, perhaps become better friends. I'm already going to be at work majority of the day so it's really only a couple of hours everyday I'm anxious about. Any DOs/DONTs do ya'll have to offer?

No you're not.

entremet

No fucking way, man. Get this girl out of your life. You keep reopening the wound with your habits of constant contact.

It's fine being friends with exes if you guys can swing it, but you refer to her as your "crush". Not healthy.

BigAT

Let me be clear that my intention is to not get with her or anything these next 2 weeks.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Do be a best friend. Don't make any moves.

I take it you are really into her still, else this would be like any best friends hanging out for a week. Just don't make any moves on her, dude.

Azzurri

Not good idea, especially when she brings home a dude on the weekend and you're sitting on the couch.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dont listen to gaf and do it. It will be a disaster but i have seen plenty of disaster movies and they are awesome.

What does "expects herself to become more religious in the future" even mean?

Is it the spiritual equivalent of "Well, someday I might go on a diet."

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's rare to read an OP with an issue with the correct path so obvious. There is 0% chance I would go down that road.

And yes, your intention is 100% to get with her. Come on. :)

CronoShot

This sounds like a bad idea.

If you do decide to do it, do NOT make any moves on her. I know you said you weren't going to, but let's face it: you totally were. She's nice enough to let you stay in her home. Don't take advantage of that.

Servbot24

Banned
Do not do this. Get a hotel or airbnb. The cost will be far easier to bear than the emotional stress you're signing up for otherwise.

I saw the update. Doesn't matter. Leave and don't do this.

Honestly, it's a temporary cost saving situation so I say do it. That said, I think chances are extremely high that you guys do it at least once. From what you've explained about the relationship, I don't think that would change much of anything about the situation unless it makes you both realize you can get over the religious difference.

Top Bottom