• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Trigger |OT| Slashing through neon lights (Switch/PC)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ptot2d6ly7.jpg

What is Phantom Trigger?

It's a story driven hack'n slash with rpg elements where you travel through a neon colored world.

Is it a rogue like?

No it's not. Development shifted and it's now a story based hack'n slash rpg without permadeath

How's the difficulty?

There are two difficulty settings: Normal and hard. Hard is the default setting, and per some GAFers who got their review codes yesterday Hard mode is HARD at some points.

Does this use the Switch in any unique way?

Devs added in local drop in drop out co-op each player using a single joycon. It's local only though.

Screens

GIF

Website

http://www.phantomtrigger.com

Platforms

Steam - $14.99

Switch - $14.99

GAF Impressions

Aostia said:
Level and story based very hard hack & slash with cyber punk neon color in a distopic hell-ish underground world with a satisfying combat, great graphics and sound design

North issue with Switch performance so far

No review yet because I received the code just yesterday

chronomac

I haven't seen too many reviews out there, but I'm still genuinely interested in this. Hoping that it's Hyper Light Drifter similarities are only skin-deep and this thing goes in a new direction.

Pastry

Banned
Got a long trip coming up in a couple weeeks, if this is good it's definitely on the radar as airplane material

So how is it performance-wise? This game is growing on me I need some more information to make my decision. Is the story good?

Edit: on switch, I mean.

Vanillalite

So how is it performance-wise? This game is growing on me I need some more information to make my decision. Is the story good?

Edit: on switch, I mean.

Supposedly it's solid. Someone said it's not as good as the PC version, but I haven't heard anyone say it's terrible like Overcooked.

Should be good to go. I'll post impressions once I get to play either tonight or this weekend.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Level and story based very hard hack & slash with cyber punk neon color in a distopic hell-ish underground world with a satisfying combat, great graphics and sound design

Vanillalite

Thanks for the info!

Gonna add early GAF impressions to the OT if you people don't mind. :p

Arthos

I'll be waiting for impressions but it sounds like fun. Might be the closest thing to Hyper Light Drifter that we will get on the Switch for now.

J@hranimo

Banned
This game looks cool based on some of the gameplay I've watched, but alas Sonic Mania is next week.

So I'll have to grab this later on in the year.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
the loading time when you start the game is a little long.
oh and A is cancel, B is accept. I hate that.

the game is really beautiful and has a great atmosphere. controls are good.

and the music is absolutely fantastic. and the sounds your weapons make hnnnng I enjoy them a little too much

the coop mode for someone to drop in and out of your game is good too :)

Image from the beginning of the game

Edit: the colours are freaking beautiful in this game.

Ladekabel

Is it just story or does it have something similar to Diablo 3 adventure mode?

On that note, what do I have to do for a Diablo 3 Switch version?

NIN90

Demo on Steam is kinda whatever. Only played for about 20 minutes and I was already bored by the combat.

nynt9

Some of the assets for this look conspicuously too much like HLD. The square/triangle glyphs on the ground etc. I wonder if someone did one to one sprite comparisons between this and HLD, would something come up? I mean, I don't think any developer who respects themselves would go that far, but some of the similarities are very strong...

jonno394

Thanks for the OT, these smaller Indie Games deserve their moment to shine too, hope more people start working on them :)

Will likely pick this up on my Switch soon.

Robin64

Looks great IMO. LOL It's pretty understated compared to some implementations. I don't know why CA automatically = crap.

The CA distance at the edges is bigger than the pixels themselves.

rEEcaly.png

Not always crap, just usually. And this is too strong.

XaosWolf

So is there any actual meat to the combat? All the gameplay I've seen seems to be in corridors with enemies that don't pose much of a threat.
And are there any other mechanics in place for puzzles or such?

Seriously? Ffs. As if it's not hard enough to combat muscle memory when moving between Nintendo and everything else.
I mean, technically this makes it like PlayStation at least. Where (X) is usually "accept" and (O) is "cancel"

I just got a switch and using A to accept has been throwing me off, since that's usually "cancel" or (O) on PlayStation

deadfolk

I mean, technically this makes it like PlayStation at least. Where (X) is usually "accept" and (O) is "cancel"

I just got a switch and using A to accept has been throwing me off, since that's usually "cancel" or (O) on PlayStation

Yeah, but it means that on a single console, the OS and game are different. Usually you can train yourself to always use 'A' on Switch.

kAmui-

So is there any actual meat to the combat? All the gameplay I've seen seems to be in corridors with enemies that don't pose much of a threat.
And are there any other mechanics in place for puzzles or such?

I played the demo on steam and it at least seems like there is depth to the combat. You have 3 moves (X, Y, B on xbox controller) and you level each move by using it. This unlocks new combos. Can't really say how many different combos there are, but I unlocked a fair amount of them in the demo. Just about all of them seem useful too. And the enemies certainly are a threat. Not that much when there's just one or two of them, but when there are more enemies you really have to be careful and take advantages of the combos.

Does anyone know how much enemy variation there is? Trailers don't really show that many different kinds of enemies. And that could be the one thing to make me not want this game, if there aren't that many different types of enemies (visually and mechanically).

TehOh

Just got a review code yesterday, planning on posting some impressions tomorrow.

I think the game is cool, but my feelings are a bit mixed.

+ It's gorgeous. Seriously, it looks amazing on the Switch screen.
+ There is a story, but it's told subtly, and there have been some interesting hints so far. It's a bit in the vein of something like Hotline Miami.

- I *hate* that B/A are flipped (B is select, A is cancel). I keep hitting this in reverse.
- Combat isn't that fun so far. I have all of the basic weapons, and there are some interesting combos, but I feel like I just have to keep whaling on enemies (on normal mode). Hopefully this improves - I can see seeds of something cool.

More detailed impressions once I get a bit more time. :)

I gotta wait for reviews for this one. Seems neat, but I saw a few reviews from smaller sites with like 5/10- waiting on major sites. Divide by Sheep was neat but it wasn't incredible, so I'm really curious how this turns out.

Dipship31

Quick 15 minute impressions:

-The initial loading screen took like 20 seconds which was odd, I thought it might've froze. Hopefully that was just since it was the initial bootup

-A/B buttons being switched is an odd and terrible decision

-Game looks good, I never played HLD, but I dig this style

-I like the vibe of the game so far and the sound/music works so far.

-Gameplay seems pretty barebones right now, but I'm sure as it moves along it'll become deeper.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just got a review code yesterday, planning on posting some impressions tomorrow.

I think the game is cool, but my feelings are a bit mixed.

+ It's gorgeous. Seriously, it looks amazing on the Switch screen.
+ There is a story, but it's told subtly, and there have been some interesting hints so far. It's a bit in the vein of something like Hotline Miami.

- I *hate* that B/A are flipped (B is select, A is cancel). I keep hitting this in reverse.
- Combat isn't that fun so far. I have all of the basic weapons, and there are some interesting combos, but I feel like I just have to keep whaling on enemies (on normal mode). Hopefully this improves - I can see seeds of something cool.

More detailed impressions once I get a bit more time. :)
switch to hard mode :)!

oh and everyone else who's annoyed by A/B..write them on twitter. I did so too

The game looks and feels heavily inspired by Hyper Light Drifter from the 10 minutes I played of the Steam demo. But that was enough to convince me that I'll probably really enjoy it. I don't feel like it has any less depth than Hyper Light Drifter did in its opening sequences either.

watershed

Banned
I'm very interested in this game but I'm gonna hold off until there are more reviews/impressions. The gameplay seems a little repetitive and the devs said a playthrough takes around 7 hours. It seems the progression is very linear from stage to stage and the rpg-lite elements seems especially thin.

Top Bottom