• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #310 - Destiny 2

DHBQTSTWsAAoxbV.jpg:large
source: @Bitsnark nice subscriber cover this month features a removable dust cover and lush textured portolan lines.

Featured
Destiny 2 [Nathan Brown]
An audience with... Patrick Söderlund [Nathan Brown]
Strange Skies: meet the game developers trying to make sense of climate change, or imagine its aftermath [Edwin Evans-Thirlwell
The making of: Titanfall 2 [Alex Wiltshire]
Studio Profile: Mode7 [Chris Schilling]
Time Extend: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon [Alex Wiltshire]

Reviewed
Splatoon 2 [8]
Pyre [8] / PS4
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice [4] / PS4
Tacoma [7] / PC
Aven Colony [7] / PC
The End is Nigh [7]
Hey! Pikmin [6]
Tiny Trax [6]

Previewed
Monster Hunter: World
Lost Sphear
Absolver
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Dauntless
Donut County

subscription info / scores archive there is a 5 issues for £5 trial currently running [UK only].

Damn, I guess they didn't like Hellblade much, huh? I'm really enjoying it thus far.

I want all the Monster Hunter: World preview info!

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice [4] / PS4
Tacoma [7] / PC

That's very unlike Edge. They usually reward games with weighty themes.

Bound to be controversial scores, especially Hellblade, and with good reason.

Thanks for the write-up as always, OP, and

BUY EDGE IF YOU'RE INTERESTED. DON'T ASK FOR QUOTES AND SHIT JUST BUY THE THING thank you

Howwwww is Hellblade a 4, also how is Jedi Outcast 2 a 4. ANY Mario Party? Army of Two? LEGO BATMAN? MANHUNT 2?!

tumblr_nszprc1b2M1qhebqho1_400.gif

This is why I don't do scores anymore.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i feel like an alien sometimes. i'm usually ninja theory apologist #1 on here (at least relatively) -- and I did *not* care for Hellblade. Like, I respect the effort, but man did it I get tired of the two things that made up the act of playing it.

(I didn't much care for the story either -- I didn't really feel an arc or any decisions or changes being made over the course of it. I like the idea of a continuous descent into the underworld, though, and the main character was an interesting sketch. that would have been enough to hold it up for me if there was more to the act of playing the game itself. or less, paradoxically. like, if the pendulum had swung more toward puzzle-game/walking sim or to action game, i could see it working better than it did.)

I am really curious what they said about Hellblade. Its the text that explains it all
Seems like the core of the game doesn't meet the high bar set by the character performance and the game's presentation. They call some puzzles poorly introduced, others inventive but both ultimately insufferable due to backtracking, repetition and poor sign posting.

Combat is fluid and responsive but in larger mobs the camera falls apart. Also the game's main way of increasing difficulty is just adding more mobs.

"a scattered tale spanning Norse mythology and personal grief that tries to be significant but ends up approaching parody at the close"

Seems like the core of the game doesn't meet the high bar set by the character performance and the game's presentation. They call some puzzles poorly introduced, others inventive but both ultimately insufferable due to backtracking, repetition and poor sign posting.

Combat is fluid and responsive but in larger mobs the camera falls apart. Also the game's main way of increasing difficulty is just adding more mobs.

"a scattered tale spanning Norse mythology and personal grief that tries to be significant but ends up approaching parody at the close"
Parody of what?

If the game had more of the inventive trials that are in the latter half of the game than the pixelhunt rune puzzles, it wouldn't be as repetitive. I would have preferred their original idea of pareidolia puzzles that got dropped.
hellblade_tree_face_by_digi_matrix-dbjrrew.jpg

I disagree on the camera falling apart, the game is clear about making you feel claustrophobic and the voices warn you when you're about to be hit by an enemy off-screen. I didn't have an issue switching between enemies and evading around enemies to get a better sense of where everyone was. The close camera just adds to the dread of being surrounded by enemies.

oti

Banned
Howwwww is Hellblade a 4, also how is Jedi Outcast 2 a 4. ANY Mario Party? Army of Two? LEGO BATMAN? MANHUNT 2?!

tumblr_nszprc1b2M1qhebqho1_400.gif

This is why I don't do scores anymore.

Splatoon 2 is twice as good as Hellblade this is an objective fact now.
It's just opinions, man.

He made a broad statement in that Edge don't reward games with weighty themes if the gameplay is shit. I offered Tacoma as an example that they do, and he said different reviewers review different games.

So... which is it?
Different reviewers review different games and have more weight in certain areas of each game individually. Come on this isn't a hard notion to understand.

If you're enjoying Hellblade who cares if a magazine disagrees with you?

When Destiny was getting 6 and 7 from most reviews, I wasn't mad or outraged, I was enjoying the shit out of it so I didn't care. I don't get why it bothers people

Different reviewers review different games and have more weight in certain areas of each game individually. Come on this isn't a hard notion to understand.

So Edge do reward games with shit gameplay then, because different reviewers review different games, ergo his original statement was incorrect. It's not a hard notion to understand.

dyergram

Do we really have to do this every month? Like the games you like. Read edge for their opinions sometimes it's nice to read a different opinion than your own ffs!

Ridley327

Didn't they rate Heavenly Sword rather lower than others as well?

They gave it a 6, but that didn't strike me as being particularly out of step with how it fared at other outlets, seeing as the game sits at a 79 on Metacritic. Ninja Theory has made a career out of gorgeous games with cool ideas and dodgy execution, and that doesn't look to be changing anytime soon.

Seems like people's enjoyment of Hellblade really hinges on whether or not the psychosis theme grabs you or not. Even the positive reviews out there don't have much good to say about the actual gameplay.

Personally Edge giving it a 4 makes me want to play it even more just to see where my own opinion falls in the debate.

Damn, I guess they didn't like Hellblade much, huh? I'm really enjoying it thus far.

I want all the Monster Hunter: World preview info!
Tsujimoto seems to understand why the series has struggled in the West and hopes to rectify it with this entry. Simultaneous launch and a world wide server. He is still keeping an eye on the Japanese reaction.

They aim to reduce the stop-start of game play by allowing you to pick up items and consumables while moving, voicing dialog so you don't have to read text.

They are mindful of the balancing act between series fans and newcomers. Reading this as an outsider reminded of how they brought in western ideas to Metal Gear Solid 4 to try and broaden the accessibility. I'm interested to try it out if the game is popular on Steam.

The only thing they're down on is the detective mode for tracking monsters. Biggest change seems to be the open world. I wonder if there will be any safe spaces at all?

Top Bottom