• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA to Increase 12nm Production for Next-Gen Volta GPU

AMD just releasing their Radeon RX Vega family of graphics cards while NVIDIA has increased production with TSMC of their new 12nm Volta based GPU’s.

NVIDIA’s new Volta GPU’s will feature a 12nm process which both TSMC and NVIDIA have been ramping up together for a release of the new GPU’s in hopefully early 2018.

Just recently the CEO of of NVIDIA Jen-Hsun Huang was talking to investors about NVIDIA’s next-gen GPU and he replied saying the gamers shouldn’t be expecting Volta-based GPU GeForce card until end of 2017 or perhaps even early 2018.

“Volta for gaming, we haven’t announced anything. And all I can say is that our pipeline is filled with some exciting new toys for the gamers, and we have some really exciting new technology to offer them in the pipeline. But for the holiday season for the foreseeable future, I think Pascal is just unbeatable” – Jen-Hsun Huang

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidia-to-increase-12nm-production-for-next-gen-volta-gpu/

So a coffee lake + Volta build in Q1 2018 is realistic?
Should be. I think Volta will get released around April but perhaps they will tease something at CES. Guess it also slightly depends on how much Vega stock there is and how good the Vega AIB cards are, maybe. But who knows.

Cutebrute

I didn't realize that Volta will be produced on a 12nm process. I thought most manufacturers were skipping that for 10nm.

I'll be all over that 1180 Ti. That will probably be the first card to offer true native 4k/60fps Ultra settings in pretty much every modern game. I pretty much need it for CyberPunk 2077.

I'm guessing we'll see it about 12 months from now.

KingV

Hopefully it sucks for crypto mining.

I'm not really sure when I will upgrade my 970. I just refuse to pay massive premiums over MSRP (and frankly I feel no pressure to do so, since it's still great for 1080p/60

Renekton

2018 is the right year for upgrades it seems:

• Icelake 10nm+ (new architecture + process)
  • New Intel Quadcore Audio standard (replacing our ancient audio standard)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (double the bandwidth)
  • Volta (4K 60fps Ultra promised land)
  • Built-in Wifi
  • PCI-e 4.0 (maybe)

Hopefully it sucks for crypto mining.

I'm not really sure when I will upgrade my 970. I just refuse to pay massive premiums over MSRP (and frankly I feel no pressure to do so, since it's still great for 1080p/60

By the time it releases, the crypto mining insanity will be gone.

LQX

• Built-in Wifi
  • PCI-e 4.0 (maybe)

Quadcore audio? Do you have more info on this? Google seems to be not pulling it up.

KingBroly

Banned

• Built-in Wifi
  • PCI-e 4.0 (maybe)

Why would a GPU need wifi?

NeOak

"12nm"

Its still based on 16nm with some smaller thing to be able to claim that it is 12nm.

Intel is the only one that has more accurate names for processes.

"12nm"

Its still based on 16nm with some smaller thing to be able to claim that it is 12nm.

Intel is the only one that has more accurate names for processes.

Well, ever since manufacturers moved from the 28 nm process, it's not been a strictly a die shrink with every new process shrink. The number getting lowered is an easier way to signify an improvement in the manufacturing process.

I'm looking forward to seeing the x70 Volta GPU, judging by previous GPU generations the Volta x70 GPU may have the performance of the previous generation Ti card. In the 900 series the GTX 970 performed similar to the 780 Ti, and in the 1000 series the GTX 1070 performed similar to the Maxwell Titan X.

1080 Ti performance would be a nice upgrade for me from my 1530MHz GTX 970 as it's over 2x faster and I always upgrade to a GPU that's 2x or more faster than my previous card.

NeOak

Well, ever since manufacturers moved from the 28 nm process, it's not been a strictly a die shrink with every new process shrink. The number getting lowered is an easier way to signify an improvement in the manufacturing process.
It's just marketing. The improvements aren't that much.

llien

RCSI

• Built-in Wifi
  • PCI-e 4.0 (maybe)

Sounds good to me. Plan to upgrade from a 2500k/Pascal (1070) build next year. Either Icelake or an AMD offering.

PFD

Planning to go Volta + one of those upcoming 3440x1440 200Hz G-Sync/HDR panels

It will be glorious

wwm0nkey

Guys help, I don't think I can wait until Volta. I'm using a 7870 and a 1080 ti is sounding pretty juicy :/
Do you have a Microcenter near you? Get a 1080ti, but a warranty and when the new series is out just return it, get all your money back and pay the difference for the new one. Microcenter employees have encourged me to do that several times and I won't complainin lol

If they yank the MSRP back down (which I doubt) on the 1170, I'll probably pick one up to replace my 970. If not, well, I dunno. Maybe I'll drop down to 1160, and hope it doesn't cost too much to get one with 6+ GB of VRAM.

Finaika

• Built-in Wifi
  • PCI-e 4.0 (maybe)

What's Quadcore Audio?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
When are PCIe 4.0 cards and mobos suppose to hit mass market anyways? Shouldn't it be late this year? And 5.0 in 2019?

Guys help, I don't think I can wait until Volta. I'm using a 7870 and a 1080 ti is sounding pretty juicy :/

I would just go buy a new GPU today if I were you. Volta is clearly a decent ways off, not to mention waiting for AIB cards, etc.

Get a 1080 Ti and ride it out for several years, imho.

The thread title doesn'the follow the quote. Huang basically said he is NOT going to release Volta this year as he sees Pascal competing fine. He doesn't say anything about increasing Volta production.

Here's hoping for an absolute monster, performance wise.

Ditto. I'm almost definitely going to buy an 1180 Ti or whatever it becomes. My last card was a 970, current card a 1070, and PC gaming is a big enough hobby for me that I'll just put up the cash. Currently on a 1440p 144Hz gsync monitor, so a Ti would be a nice pairing. For now, almost all of my gaming is Rocket League though. :lol

And I even run Rocket League at reduced settings for ultra consistent ~144hz frametimes (I actually cap it at 143 FPS IIRC).

Top Bottom