• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masato Kato Talks End of Chrono Trilogy, Chrono Break

In December 2015, video game researcher Mariela González published a Spanish-exclusive book on the Chrono series titled Más allá del Tiempo. This book contained a general retrospective on the history of the Chrono games, as well as two exclusive interviews -- one with Masato Kato and one with Yasunori Mitsuda.

A brand new interview with Kato in 2015? I was so excited I purchased the book even thought I'm not even fluent in Spanish. A year later however, the book was published in French, as Hors du Temps. I'm actually fluent in French, so I purchased the book a second time.

Here is an excerpt of the interview with Kato where the series' mastermind recalls his history with the series and talks about what his plans were for a third Chrono game, set after Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross:

In French:

GKikQ2x.jpg

swX15d8.jpg

My translation:

Question: Let's talk about Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross if you will. When did you think about a sequel or a new story set in the same universe? Did you think there were certain aspects of Chrono Trigger that were worth going into in more depth or explored further?

Answer: I'm going to make a confession: when I finished writing Chrono Trigger, I felt a huge relief! (Laughs) Incidentally, shortly after, I took up the writing of Radical Dreamers and the first idea I had was to make a game that would follow the adventures of a band of thieves. I also had the image of a manor in mind. I started writing and writing, without thinking much, and when I was at the last stage, the doubt came about how to finish the story. That's when I realized, for the first time, that what I was writing was the story of Schala and Magus. (Laughs)

As for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, I have wanted to imagine an episode that would conclude a trilogy [i.e. a third game, after Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross] and that would take place shortly after the events of the first game. I thought of the following lead: Kid and the others have to go help Crono, Marle and Lucca, who were then in great dangers. In the end, it was some sort of "all-star"! (Laughs) That said, I have the following principle: the past is the past, and it should be left behind. You have to let go. To lay new foundations. To move on. Nevertheless, if I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure Square Enix suggested the possibility of a project titled Chrono Break. But I wasn't part of it, so I'm not in the best position to talk about it. In fact I don't have any other information on this topic.

Later, while browsing Kato's Facebook profile, I found the following post which seems related to what his ideas were for a third Chrono game. It was published some time before the release of Más allá del Tiempo:

さて、それでは、キッドやセルジュ、クロノや
ルッカやカエル、ジャキらが一堂に会し、
ズルワーン=時の海を呼びさます、最後の闘いが
幕を開ける......

Chrono Reflect

という物語は、各自で紡いでいただきたく。
あな、かしこ。

I can't read Japanese, but according to someone's Engrishy translation his post means (maybe a GAFer can post a better translation):

And so, Kid, Serge, Crono, Lucca, Frog and Janus are gathered together
in one chamber, Zurvan the sea of time is awakened, the curtain rises on
the final battle.

Chrono Reflect

I would like to have this story individually spun.
Yours respectfully.

Thoughts?

Cease & Desist if old

SOLDIER

And I was just inquiring what Kato was doing these days.

Fun Fact: in addition to writing credits for Chrono and Xenogears, Kato is also responsible for much of Tifa's dialog in Final Fantasy VII. Being a late addition to the planned story, Tifa was promoted from a recurring NPC to a major character who would end up being the main heroine of the game, and Kato was the one who worked on her interactions with Cloud and the other characters.

Really hoping he's going to have a role in the Remake, and...Chrono 3, if it ever happens.

I would assume it was that concept chrono video for ps2 from years back that materialized into nothing.... or am I imagining things

L Thammy

Kato also did the art for the NES Ninja Gaiden games, and was involved in Princess Maker 2, right? Every time I see his name and look at his works on his Wikipedia page I'm both impressed and confused.

Bregor

I remember back in the Xbox / PS2 era there was someone on this board who kept claiming at each big announcement that they had inside information that Chrono Break was going to be announced as an exclusive.

Eusis

I guess those plans would have redeemed them some in the eyes of those really angry about having killed the original cast off screen, but it does seem like it'd be kind of cheap.

Davey Cakes

Mega Man 9, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, Blaster Master Zero, Sonic Mania, etc.

I honestly don't see why we can't get a Chrono Trigger callback game in the form of Chrono Break. The timing is basically perfect right now.

Kato also did the art for the NES Ninja Gaiden games, and was involved in Princess Maker 2, right? Every time I see his name and look at his works on his Wikipedia page I'm both impressed and confused.

For the NES Ninja Gaiden games he was also the scenario writer (NG2, NG3) and the director (NG3).

As the designer of the cutscenes for NG2 he is one of the people considered as the "inventor of video game cutscenes" (Pac-Man technically had the first ever video game cutscenes).

L Thammy

For the NES Ninja Gaiden games he was also the scenario writer (NG2, NG3) and the director (NG3).

As the designer of the cutscenes for NG2 he is one of the people considered as the "inventor of video game cutscenes" (Pac-Man technically had the first ever video game cutscenes).

Was he practicing to be a mangaka in his youth or something? He seems like he's got a diverse set of skills - that would at least explain the art+writing combination.

Was he practicing to be a mangaka in his youth or something? He seems like he's got a diverse set of skills - that would at least explain the art+writing combination.

Dunno if he wanted to be a professional mangaka, but he does seem to like drawing. He did the original character sketches for the cast of Chrono Trigger, before Square handed over his ideas to Akira Toriyama for reimagining.

Here's one of his sketches for Chrono Trigger:

QXY2FRhh.jpg

Serge and Kid from Radical Dreamers:
jZhJZNSh.jpg

Ferrik from Children of Mana:
jLeDPEfh.jpg

The main races of Final Fantasy XI:
c72RBdNh.jpg

SOLDIER

I guess those plans would have redeemed them some in the eyes of those really angry about having killed the original cast off screen, but it does seem like it'd be kind of cheap.

It's a series about time travel and alternate dimensions.

It was always a possibility, which is why so many people were hoping for it.

Nice to know that was always the initial plan, now if only it was put into practice.

My thoughts are I don't want Kato anywhere near a Chrono game ever again.

Round up Sakaguchi, Kitase, Tokita, Horii, Mitsuda & Toriyama and then we're talking.

My thoughts are I don't want Kato anywhere near a Chrono game ever again.

Round up Sakaguchi, Kitase, Tokita, Horii, Mitsuda & Toriyama and then we're talking.

You do know Kato was involved with the first game and was responsible for the most popular parts of it both storywise and battle-systemwise, right?

FinalAres

Now is the time for Chrono Switch. I kinda hope that's what Project Setsuna is working towards (although apparently Setsuna isn't very good).

DxD

Banned
Chrono IP is too legendary now to have a trilogy. Too much of a burden to out do masterpieces. The fans will be hard to please.

You do know Kato was involved with the first game and was responsible for the most popular parts of it both storywise and battle-systemwise, right?

I know he was the main scenario writer for Antiquity, the weakest section of the game imo.

I don't know that he wrote any of the other scenarios, let me know if he did.

Peltz

Chrono IP is too legendary now to have a trilogy. Too much of a burden to out do masterpieces. The fans will be hard to please.

I wonder what such a game could even be like today. Chrono Trigger and Cross were very different experiences and came out in a very different time from now.

Who knows how it could turn out?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I would have loved to have had a third game, if anything just to round out a trilogy, but I don't think Square will ever revisit the Chrono world, and honestly, would I really want them to at this point? They aren't the Squaresoft they used to be.

I absolutely adore Trigger and Cross, and revisit them both at leas once a year.

Ninjimbo

I'd be down for another Chrono game but only if Kato heads the project. Chrono Cross will forever be the GOAT in my heart.

Other than that, the series should continue to RIP.

That ain't happening.

I know.

I don't even know what Horii thinks of CT. I vaguely remember reading that he wasn't satisfied with it, but I can't remember where so maybe I dreamed it. I know he definitely clashed with the gooch on the direction of the game, but I don't know if that was the friendly kind or otherwise.

I wonder what such a game could even be like today. Chrono Trigger and Cross were very different experiences and came out in a very different time from now.

Who knows how it could turn out?

It would probably be as different from both Cross and Trigger as Cross was different from Trigger.

In my mind I always thought Kato and Mitsuda's The Five Seasons of Kirite contained ideas that would have otherwise gone into a third Chrono game.

Krooner

Now is the time for Chrono Switch. I kinda hope that's what Project Setsuna is working towards (although apparently Setsuna isn't very good).

Thats 'Tokyo RPG Factory', Setsuna is decent if you like that old school style. The story is a bit bland, but I quite liked the characters.

I feel like if SE are going to trust them with an established IP, it'll be Mana.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
LMAO

I won't even bother

I wouldn't agree that it's the weakest section, but it is kind of uneven. There are parts of it that are probably my favorite in the game, and there are a few that I could sort of do without.

Mikey Jr.

I honestly don't know what it would take at this point for SE to do it.

I'm not expecting PS4 graphics. Fuck man, I'll take an OUYA version at this point. I literally do not give a fuck where it is.

You know what? I'll take a Chrono Trigger remake. If SE doesn't foresee getting the right people to do a CT2, then you can at least remake CT kinda like with the new Sonic Mania.

Widescreen, higher quality music, 4k, new anime cutscenes, etc.

@DiipuSurotu : Is the book good? Maybe I'll buy it.

Most of what it contains is based on information that was already available elsewhere on the Internet in various interviews, articles, etc. released over the years, but it's nice to have it all in one book.

wiibomb

do you have the spanish variant at hand? I'm a spanish native speaker and there might be a loss in translation.

It's good to see the words Chrono Trigger in 2017-

I think Chrono Trigger would sell really well,
if they remake using the FFXV engine.

Turn based or full action I wouldn't care , is just that sense that I want to replay it
but not actually play the same thing , you feel me?

Giolon

Square-Enix, hire this man! Make Chrono Reflect happen! I want it so badly!

Sadly, my cries will never be heard. Thanks OP for the translations and info.

MechaX

Mega Man 9, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, Blaster Master Zero, Sonic Mania, etc.

I honestly don't see why we can't get a Chrono Trigger callback game in the form of Chrono Break. The timing is basically perfect right now.

Chrono Break headed by Kato with Toriyama art, all retro in the vein of a SNES era JRPG...

This definitely could shoot the mark that I am Setsuna was attempting to get.

JaseMath

And I was just inquiring what Kato was doing these days.

Fun Fact: in addition to writing credits for Chrono and Xenogears, Kato is also responsible for much of Tifa's dialog in Final Fantasy VII. Being a late addition to the planned story, Tifa was promoted from a recurring NPC to a major character who would end up being the main heroine of the game, and Kato was the one who worked on her interactions with Cloud and the other characters.

Really hoping he's going to have a role in the Remake, and...Chrono 3, if it ever happens.

Uh...what?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
None of the explanations why more games in the Chrono series weren't made made much sense to me.

AzureFlame

It's good to see the words Chrono Trigger in 2017-

I think Chrono Trigger would sell really well,
if they remake using the FFXV engine.

Turn based or full action I wouldn't care , is just that sense that I want to replay it
but not actually play the same thing , you feel me?

Using XV engine? That's a bad choice imo, Chrono doesn't need reailstic graphics engine, Unreal Engine 4 would be a better choice.

I just hope they rerelease Trigger on current gen consoles.

Question: Let's talk about Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross if you will. When did you think about a sequel or a new story set in the same universe? Did you think there were certain aspects of Chrono Trigger that were worth going into in more depth or explored further?

Answer: I'm going to make a confession: when I finished writing Chrono Trigger, I felt a huge relief! (Laughs) Incidentally, shortly after, I took up the writing of Radical Dreamers and the first idea I had was to make a game that would follow the adventures of a band of thieves. I also had the image of a manor in mind. I started writing and writing, without thinking much and when I reached the last step of the plot, I started feeling some doubt: was the epilogue I was unfolding the right one? That's when I realized, for the first time, that what I was writing was the story of Schala and Magus. (Laughs)

As for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, I wanted to imagine an episode that would conclude a trilogy and take place shortly after the events of the first game. I thought of the following lead: Kid and the others have to go help Crono, Marle and Lucca, who were then in great dangers. In the end, it was some sort of "all-star"! (Laughs) That said, I have the following principle: the past is the past, and it should be left behind. You have to let go. To lay new foundations. To move on. Nevertheless, if I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure Square Enix suggested the possibility of a project titled Chrono Break. But I wasn't part of it, so I'm not in the best position to talk about it. In fact I don't have any other information on this topic.

So they are alive! I think it was a fan theory that they were still alive, but it is nice to have confirmation. Lucca in particular I'm pretty sure was killed by Lynx in Cross. Too bad it will never be...

Doosi

Banned
So they are alive! I think it was a fan theory that they were still alive, but it is nice to have confirmation. Lucca in particular I'm pretty sure was killed by Lynx in Cross. Too bad it will never be...

Nah he was talking about development of chrono cross

The chrono trigger kids are still dead

Top Bottom