• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Untold Story Of America's Southern Chinese

El Sloth

Banned
https://youtu.be/2NMrqGHr5zE

There's a rather unknown community of Chinese-Americans who've lived in the Mississippi Delta for more than a hundred years. They played an important role in the segregated South in the middle of the 20th century. Join us as we get a taste of Southern Chinese food and learn about the unique history of the Delta Chinese.

This is a pretty good short video on something I personally had no idea about. Although I shouldn't be surprised after recently learning about the Chinese Coolies, some who ended up in the Caribbean for the same reasons.

Anyways, I thought this was a cool video and that people on here would enjoy it too. I found the one lady's comments at the end to be especially relevant to current events and fairly heartbreaking.

Moppeh

Banned
That was a cool video, OP, thanks for sharing.

There is something so surreal and neat about hearing people with Asian backgrounds speak with the very iconic, non-Asian accents.

I remember hearing an Asian-Australian speak recently and thinking the same thing.

sfedai0

Banned
Whoa TIL. Pretty interesting how no matter your ethnicity, you tend to pick up the accent of that particualr region.

Gnilres

sunny709-13.jpg

CiDdj9SUgAAbFQt.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm reminded of my surprise when I read about the original Siamese twins who ended up in North Carolina and who had sons that fought for the Confederacy.

But I didn't expect that Chinese coolies would have ended up inland. I guess I just assumed they ended up on the coasts, but using them as farmers in addition to building railroads makes sense.

There is something so surreal and neat about hearing people with Asian backgrounds speak with the very iconic, non-Asian accents.

I remember hearing an Asian-Australian speak recently and thinking the same thing.

Yeah I recently saw a vid with this Chinese Jamaican guy and it was a trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJEbX_lJhk

Anyways OP that was a cool video. Had no idea.

Timbuktu

Must be the same feeling i get when I see a white guy speak perfect Cantonese.

Top Bottom