• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Members of WH presidential arts commission resigning to protest Trump’s comments

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit - WH response:

38L1jVx.jpg

Link.

The remaining members of a presidential arts and humanities panel resigned on Friday in yet another sign of growing national protest of President Trump's recent comments on the violence in Charlottesville.

Members of the President's Committee are drawn from Broadway, Hollywood, and the broader arts and entertainment community and said in a letter to Trump that ”Your words and actions push us all further away from the freedoms we are guaranteed."

”Reproach and censure in the strongest possible terms are necessary following your support of the hate groups and terrorists who killed and injured fellow Americans in Charlottesville," the commissioners wrote in a letter sent to the White House on Friday morning. ”The false equivalencies you push cannot stand. The Administration's refusal to quickly and unequivocally condemn the cancer of hatred only further emboldens those who wish America ill. We cannot sit idly by, the way that your West Wing advisors have, without speaking out against your words and actions."

”Supremacy, discrimination, and vitriol are not American values," they added. ”Your values are not American values. We must be better than this. We are better than this. If this is not clear to you, then we call on you to resign your office, too."

The commission was established by President Ronald Reagan in 1982. It is among the dozens of mostly ceremonial White House commissions that advise the president on issues ranging from business matters to education policy and physical fitness.

Members of the commission are Obama-era holdovers, including the actor Kal Penn, a longtime Barack Obama supporter and former White House staffer; director George C. Wolfe; painter and photographer Chuck Close; Jill Udall, the former head of cultural affairs for New Mexico and the wife of Sen. Tom Udall (D-N.M.); and entertainment executive Fred Goldring, who helped produce the ”Yes We Can" video with musician Will.i.am in support of Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.

Edit -

GUYS. The first letter in each paragraph.

DHhH9pLXoAAM44e

Jazzem

"F-f-fake news, I fired them all! I have great respect for the arts, didn't you see how suddenly I gave a shit about a confederate statue so I could condemn the side against the nazis!?! S-s-s-ad! "

cameron

How many commissions did he have?

And how many are left standing?

The Guardian: Trump's evangelical panel remains intact as others disband. Who are his religious cheerleaders?
Donald Trump was forced to disband two business advisory councils and an infrastructure panel after some of America’s most prominent business leaders fled their posts, protesting against Trump’s statements appeasing white nationalist marchers at the weekend rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

But the president’s religious evangelical advisory board, a mix of radical born-again preachers, televangelists and conservative political influencers, still stands pristine. Not only have members avoided criticism of the president, while occasionally scolding the violence in general – some have been openly supportive of Trump’s statements assigning blame “on many sides” and slamming those who turned up to oppose the militant neo-Nazis.
List of board members in the link.

Lunar15

I don't want to be defeatist but all of this is so toothless. Resigning is a great way to make yourself look better, but it does nothing to resolve the problem of Trump nor does it actively address racism, bigotry.

It's better than nothing, and I hope to god it culminates into something meaningful come election time, but until then, what are these donors/corporations/comissions doing actively to combat facism, racism, and bigotry?

I don't want to be defeatist but all of this is so toothless. Resigning is a great way to make yourself look better, but it does nothing to resolve the problem of Trump nor does it actively address racism, bigotry.

It's better than nothing, and I hope to god it culminates into something meaningful come election time, but until then, what are these donors/corporations/comissions doing actively to combat facism, racism, and bigotry?

He's never going to address the hate honestly in any human manner. Council members dropping his ass does show what a failure these people consider him.

UberTag

As long as he (and more importantly, his judicial picks) sufficiently hates LGBT folk, minorities, and abortion, they'll stick with him.
Yep, the evangelicals and church folk appreciate Nazis just as much as Donny does.
Frankly, I would consider this to be an optics issue for their religion... but I guess they don't care about that so much. I'm sure their God doesn't mind.

Trump is defined by his instability, chaos and inability to get shit done. Whatever he has built or attempts to build ends up getting destroyed under chaos.

Yep, the evangelicals and church folk appreciate Nazis just as much as Donny does.
Frankly, I would consider this to be an optics issue for their religion... but I guess they don't care about that so much. I'm sure their God doesn't mind.

As a Christian, I condemn Nazis and I know I'm not alone in this. Principled Christians such as Russell Moore and others associated with organizations such as The Gospel Coalition wouldn't have been on this panel in the first place.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I know many evangelicals. They'd vote for Lucifer if he towed the line on gay rights and abortion. I'm dead ass.
Yep. Big reason I stopped being one. It was amazing how much some of the people I thought were the kindest most wonderful folks on the planet would compromise their morals on these two stances. I think it even hit a point where even those "values" could be compromised. Liberals and progressives were demonized so much. And I mean lierally. They thought progressives and liberals were working for demonic forces directly and indirectly.

Edit: Also want to add that our biggest way to get new members would be to target children, and get them to bring their parents and other relatives and friends in.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
When do Evangelical Christians just drop all pretense and just start driving cars into crowded places in liberal cities or what not? They're basically circling the drain at this point in terms of ethics and beliefs so I wouldn't be surprised if years from now a part of them just turns into out right wantonly violent fundamentalists. American ISIS basically.

Seik

Banned
You know, with his business panel leaving and this, plus the whole world shitting on Trump this week.

I guess we can call this the first 'good' week since he came in office. Last week-end's events and Trump's reactions related to those both were terrible and it's good to see that it woke up a lot of people.

He's getting shit and, my god, so rightfully so.

GUYS. The first letter in each paragraph.

Holy fuck! :O

This is ART!

So when are the ACTUAL folks going to resign? Its nice that folks that arent really part of the administration are leaving, but when are folks in the admin quitting en masse? When will the Republicans in Congress stop being shits and actually do something OTHER than keeping him as a useful idiot so they can pass any regressive law they want?

When are Republicans in general going to stop being terrible?

Top Bottom