• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full details of the Scorpio engine in Xbox one X from Hotchips conference 2017

Kayant

Full* - Of course in terms of what they want to reveal ;)

There is some Q&A stuff at Anandtech if anyone is interested.

Source - http://www.anandtech.com/show/11740...x-scorpio-engine-live-blog-930am-pt-430pm-utc

Source(images) - https://www.golem.de/news/scorpio-engine-microsoft-erlaeutert-soc-der-xbox-one-x-1708-129610.html

Scorpio engine
Microsoft-Xbox-One-X-Scorpio-Engine-Hot-Chips-29-01.png

Scorpio engine, 7b transistors, 359mm2 die, 50mm module

Die shot
Microsoft-Xbox-One-X-Scorpio-Engine-Hot-Chips-29-02.png

• Yellow areas on die shot is GPU
  • 4 shader arrays, contain 11 CUs
  • 10 active, 1 spare
  • Spares are for reliability and yield
  • dark green are clusters of CPU
  • Green around the outside are the 12 GDDR5 controllers

Block diagram of how processors are connected
Microsoft-Xbox-One-X-Scorpio-Engine-Hot-Chips-29-03.png

• 326GB/s mem bandwidth
  • 6.8 GHz memory data rate
  • 12 GB of main memory, dev systems have 24GB
  • 285 GB/s peak in the lab for mem bandiwdth
  • Pairs of channels can be cache coherent
  • Coherent traffic is vertical to the crossbar
  • 8x 256KB render caches
  • 64 outbound and 40 inbound 256-bit data paths for drawing

GPU
Microsoft-Xbox-One-X-Scorpio-Engine-Hot-Chips-29-04.png

• raw performance is a hair over 6 TF
  • 4.688G primitives/second
  • 128 FLOPS * 40 CUs * 1.172 GHz
  • 187.5 G bilinear texels/second
  • 2MB L2 cache with bypass and index buffer access
  • out of order rasterization, 1MB parameter cache, delta color compression, depth compression, compressed texture access
  • Xbox One S and 360 compatibility

CPU
Microsoft-Xbox-One-X-Scorpio-Engine-Hot-Chips-29-05.png

• 8 CPU cores, 2.3 GHz
  • 32 KB L1-I, 32 KB L1-D per core
  • 4 MB shared L2 (2MB per quad cluster), lower main memory average latency (up to 20%)
  • 12 channels and 192 banks of main memory (3x and 6x)
  • 2048 entry L2I TLB and L2D TLB for 4KB pages
  • 32 entry L1I TLB for 4KB pages, 8 entry L1I TLB for 2MB pages
  • Hypervisor based system
  • 40 entry L1D TLB for 4KB pages, 8 entry L1D TLB for 2MB pages, 256 entry L2D TLB for 2MB pages
  • Page Descriptor Cache of nested translations (up to 4.3% perf over last gen)

AV
Microsoft-Xbox-One-X-Scorpio-Engine-Hot-Chips-29-06.png

• 4K p60 HEVC, VP9, AVC
  • 10-bit HDR for HEVC and VP9
  • 4k60 HEVC video encoding for DVR and streaming
  • Support for 4K display, 3-surface resize/blending, pre-multiplied FP alpha
  • DP 1.2a, HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2, two stream MST
  • Audio with new firmware features, such as spatial surround (will come avail for Xbox One S)
  • 1TB HDD, 4K UHD Bluray player

South bridge
Microsoft-Xbox-One-X-Scorpio-Engine-Hot-Chips-29-07.png

Some background don't know much about hotchips in depth but it's a technicial conference when MS has used to reveal more technical specs of their consoles. For recenferce here is the one on XB1 - https://www.hotchips.org/archives/2010s/hc25/

Customise my CPU if old.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GPU is definitely a beast for a console APU in that size box. Not surprised try had to use the vapor cooling.

spons

Gold Member
4K p60 HEVC, VP9, AVC
Dump VLC on it (or Kodi, whenever that's actually coming after the somewhat stealthy announcement) and you have a decent enough media center box.

Oh, and video games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Glad MS released all the specs. I wonder what contributes most to the size of the X..Pro is also 16nm, but its notably bigger than PS4 yet X looks similar to Xbox one S in terms of size...does vapor chamber cooling really do such a big favor? That's awesome

Fredrik

Glad MS released all the specs. I wonder what contributes most to the size of the X..Pro is also 16nm, but its notably bigger than PS4 yet X looks similar to Xbox one S in terms of size...does vapor chamber cooling really do such a big favor? That's awesome
I don't think there has been any reports on how hot and loud XBX is yet. Always assume the worst. :p

ethomaz

Banned
My understanding is that everything in the GPU is effected by the clock. Change the clock, it all refreshes faster not some of it.
It is not... a lot of GPU units are not clock related... other runs at different clocks.

BTW ACEs are only responsible by the compute queue... after that the job is done by the SPs that are clock related.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
This is exactly the pending question on the X's DVR capabilities, I just hope they don't gimp the bitrate, I mean you have to spend £1300 on an Ninja Inferno to get 4K 60 HDR encoding on the fly.

If the bitrate is high enough 4k60 clips could be incredible.

I remember reading months back about some new encoding method/codec that would allow for great quality but still be reasonable in size.

BigEmil

Wonder what the power consumption of Xbox One X is especially with it running a fully patched game

I remember reading months back about some new encoding method/codec that would allow for great quality but still be reasonable in size.

PS4 720p recording levels of quality would be optimal for me. XB1 clips always looked blurry and so do the 1080p clips on PS4 Pro now.

c0de

Interesting to see that the maximum of bandwidth from ram is way higher in terms of percentage of what was possible on PS4 amateur and the shared bus between garlic and onion.

JaggedSac

12:53PM EDT - 'Q: Page descriptor cache was giving +4.5% perf in SPEC. Was that running in a VM?' 'Yes, the benefit we get negates the VM loss'

Is this implying that the negative impact of using a hypervisor has been effectively removed by their page descriptor cache?

So the CPU gains are:

- 30% more clock (likely the most of the new performance gains)
- up to 20% less latency (but no info on how that translates into real world performance)
- Code translation for the virtualized environment runs 4.5+% faster than the regular xbone, apparently that practically negates the virtualization costs.

Hypervisor based still? Ewwww

That's why they are able to deliver complete compatibility, plus it's safer, and with the cpu customizations it can virtualized code at almost native speed, so it's even better.

Top Bottom