• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Nordic acquires Giana Sisters developer Black Forest Games GmbH

Shiggy

THQ Nordic acquires the independent developer Black Forest Games GmbH

THQ Nordic is today announcing that the company has acquired 100% of the outstanding shares from the five founders of Black Forest Games GmbH. The development studio was founded 2012 and based on the legacy of Spellbound Entertainment, the company been one of Germany's longest existing independent developers.

Also, an Asset Purchase Agreement with Black Forest Games was concluded to acquire the intellectual properties “Giana Sisters”, “Helldorado” and “Rogue Stormers” amongst other assets, which will be part of the THQ Nordic Portfolio of IPs.

The IP-acquisition itself is being handled by THQ Nordic AB, based in Karlstad, Sweden, whereas the day-to-day business and the share deal is handled by THQ Nordic GmbH, based in Vienna, Austria. THQ Nordic GmbH is taking over 100% of the company including the whole team – for a total cash consideration of EUR 900,000. A potential performance based earnout of EUR 450,000 to the five founders is also an addition. They will stay on board to continue the success story of the 50 people studio.

Lars Wingefors: “We have been working with the folks from Black Forest Games for years now. Their technical skills, accompanied by breath-taking art direction and excellent game design, convinced us even more to take this next step and to acquire this well-managed studio, which will be the largest in-house development studio of THQ Nordic.

Black Forest Games currently working on an unannounced open-world title for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. More details regarding this project will be revealed soon.

Regardless of this purchase, they will still finish Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back.

THQ Nordic is moving up on the big publishers list. I hope they don't take WB's path. WB went rapidly from the bottom to top then to the bottom again!

Santar

Black Forest Games haven't made anything above mediocre yet as far as I've played and the new Bubsy looks like it fits that description too unfortunately, but good luck to both parties, hope something good comes out of this.

qanters

Black Forest Games is made up of Spellbound Entertainment devs who worked on the Desperado games.

THQ actually bought the rights to the Desperados IP from Atari in 2013.

Possible Desperados reboot coming ?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
THQ Nordic is becoming this dream publisher which then turns dreams into mediocre and underwhelming games.

Prove me wrong Nordic

So Volition has access to Geo-Mod again. I'm sure Nordic already had a Red Faction in development, but maybe some of the RFG/Armageddon creative and tech people are still at Volition and can help.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought THQ sold all their properties because they weren't doing well in the first place. Interesting

I have owned a few Deep Silver titles. I wonder if production value costs were too high on their successful IP's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom