• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Cuphead is as wondrous as it is difficult

Theorry

Just take one look at Cuphead's gorgeous hand-drawn art style and you'll understand the hype. First-time indie developer Studio MDHR created a game that's as detailed and fluid as classic Disney cartoons. And it has that hint of magic that you can only get from traditional, non-CG animation. It's also a dream to play, with controls reminiscent of Contra and other extremely difficult 2D side scrollers. Simply running around and shooting enemies feels great -- and that's a good thing, since you'll be doing a lot of it.

You've got a variety of weapons to choose from, a dash-move for getting out of danger quickly, and you can also parry any pink-colored object by jumping off of them at just the right time. The vast majority of Cuphead is made up of elaborate boss fights -- and I really mean elaborate.

The bosses, and their accompanying stages, feature some of the most unique designs I've ever seen in a video game. But you won't have much time to drink in the gorgeous visuals before the bosses start filling up the screen with deadly projectiles. While there are attack patterns you'll have to learn, you'll still have to keep your wits about you for some randomized changes. Cuphead is the sort of game where you should expect to die -- a lot.

Thankfully, the game gives you a few different difficulty levels to help you get your bearings. A beautiful overworld map connects all of the different boss battles, and you can also interact with other characters there. Cuphead also features a handful of platforming stages, which should evoke plenty of classic gaming nostalgia.

In addition to playing through the game solo, you can also have a friend join you in co-op mode. That's something we don't typically see in games today, and it brought back memories of sitting on the couch for hours on end when I was a kid.

In fact, co-op mode seemed like the ideal way to confront some of Cuphead's more nefarious boss battles. It's extremely helpful to have someone cover your back. If one of you dies, your partner can also save you at the last minute by parrying your ghost before it flies offscreen. You only come back with a single health bar, but at least it keeps you in the game.

Although I only had a short amount of time with Cuphead, I'm eager for more. But then again, I've been dying to play it since Studio MDHR gave us our first glimpse back in 2014. Like No Man's Sky before it, Cuphead built up an insane amount of buzz over the years -- so much so, that I was worried it couldn't possibly meet my expectations. I certainly wasn't disappointed with my first taste of the game, but as astounding as Cuphead looks, it's also sometimes frustrating to play because it's so difficult. It's not unfair, but there are certainly points where you'll want to give up in frustration. Like any great side-scroller, though, if you invest the time you'll get better at it.

You owe it to yourself to buy Cuphead -- it simply doesn't look like any game we've had before. And while it might be tough, it's ultimately a rewarding experience.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/22/cuphead-hands-on/

FelipeMGM

Almost seems like this might be more fun to watch than play because of the art style.

I see what you are saying, but watching a video of it has nothing on playing it in front of you

Played a couple times and I had that look of ''wow, this looks unbelievable'' on my face throughout the whole thing. The animation is mesmerizing

Oh, and yeah, its hard too lol

F4r0_Atak

I can't wait for this game... the XB1X can't come soon enough. (Just traded-in my OG XB1 to pre-order the XB1X at an EB store in Quebec)

KORNdoggy

i'm kinda disappointed to be hearing it's still largely a boss rush title? i though all this extra time was to make it more...traditional? platforming? levels? regular enemies?...like a 1940's style mario. i'll probably still pick it up though since it looks so nice.

Nheco

...oh...the game runs at 60fps?

This is, weirdly enough, the one time I wish it was 30. The mismatch of fluid sprite movement to the sprite animation looks visually odd. But I'm sure the 60 makes it more responsive to play. Can't wait for the Steam release.

It's going to be on Steam.

I would be all for a 24fps mode though I don't know how that would feel to play.

The amount of animation frames isn't tied to the game refresh rate. Anyone here believe that SNES, or even NES games that had a 60Hz refresh rate had 60 frames of animation per second?

I was worried that this game would be cancelled like Scalebound.

Constantly trying to add things and make it bigger.

Hyped it's coming out soon. I hope it is worth the wait, and I am glad that MS has given them time to get this game right

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can't be the only one tired of these titles considering difficulty a selling point right?

Others are the selling points: good story, innovation, fun gameplay and so on.

I understand why some people want challenge but difficulty isn't a selling point, it's not even a universal desire, everyone want a good gameplay, a good story etc, not everyone want a difficult game.

oti

Banned
Day one, wondering which platform. Xbox would be more hassle free, Stream would be forever mine. Although my TV input lag is way more profound than on my monitor, so maybe Steam is the smarter way to go for this game.

I see what you are saying, but watching a video of it has nothing on playing it in front of you

Played a couple times and I had that look of ''wow, this looks unbelievable'' on my face throughout the whole thing. The animation is mesmerizing

Oh, and yeah, its hard too lol

That's what I like to hear. I'm still so pumped for this game, despite its difficulty.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Immediately thought of this reading that preview. (Those that played it would understand)

gen_adventures_of_batman_and_robin_p_rragp8.jpg

I can't be the only one tired of these titles considering difficulty a selling point right?

I understand why some people want challenge but difficulty isn't a selling point, it's not even a universal desire, everyone want a good gameplay, a good story etc, not everyone want a difficult game.

I'm with you on this. Nowadays I feel like difficulty is the number one thing games are hanging their gameplay on. Sometimes I'd just like to play a game without constant frustration. I have no desire to play this game as it combines bosses with high difficulty, two of my least favorite video game qualities. Cool art, bro.

This is, weirdly enough, the one time I wish it was 30. The mismatch of fluid sprite movement to the sprite animation looks visually odd. But I'm sure the 60 makes it more responsive to play. Can't wait for the Steam release.

I'm not sure how you'd be looking for the game on PC and expect otherwise. But hey...perhaps an option/mod will allow you to lock it at 30.

i'm kinda disappointed to be hearing it's still largely a boss rush title? i though all this extra time was to make it more...traditional? platforming? levels? regular enemies?...like a 1940's style mario. i'll probably still pick it up though since it looks so nice.

I don't think the developers have said or shown anything that has hinted that the game would resemble 2D Mario games in anyway shape or form. Not sure why you'd think that what they are going for.

Gestault

It's the nature of the genre. If it weren't challenging, it would basically be bad game design to the people who play these games. And just as importantly, if it were pointlessly difficult, it would be equally bad. The preview here was trying to keep expectations clear for fresh players, but when they specify that the challenge is fair and worthwhile, they're spelling out that there's a good balance.

The fact that the preview specifies that the two-player is balanced says a lot, because there are some famously bad design decisions in games like this in co-op modes, even among the classics. I mean heck, Wild Guns Reloaded for PS4 awkwardly combines player lives in co-op in a way that makes that mode hard to enjoy, without heavy tweaking away from the normal settings.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I don't think the developers have said or shown anything that has hinted that the game would resemble 2D Mario games in anyway shape or form. Not sure why you'd think that what they are going for.

You can move left and right and jump. Therefore: Mario.

An easy run 'n gun isn't really worth playing. Difficult games are incredibly fun as long as they aren't cheap.

I don't understand why you'd want sub-60fps experience for a sidescrolling run 'n gun with tight boss fights and bullet hell-ish patterns. Every 2D action game running at <60fps feels like shit.

Poppy

An easy run 'n gun isn't really worth playing. Difficult games are incredibly fun as long as they aren't cheap.
yeah it would be like an easy rhythm game or shmup or something

when your concept is as simple as go into a stage and do one thing, imo that one thing needs to be difficult so you have room to grow as a player

cuz its not like these are story based games, they are gameplay based

Top Bottom