• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 controler for Pc, I need help!

Beaulieu

Hey !

I want to use my xbox360 wired controller on my Pc but its not working.

When I plug it in, windows says : New material detected, then after a couple of seconds, it only says "controller". If I go in my control pannel, under the controler menu, theres nothing. If I go to my device pannel, it only says "controller" with a yellow interrogation mark. (sorry my windows is in french so I may have the wrong terms).

Ive tried downloading the drivers from Microsoft website, both 32 and 64bits versions (I have a 64 bits) but when I double click on the .exe file, it says "update\update.exe isnt a valid Win32 application".

Do I need Usb 2.0 for this to work ? And how do I know if I have Usb 2.0 or 1.0 ?

Is there any other thing I can do ? please help !

Sage00

Once And Future Member
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906347

Install the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows software on a computer
Note You must install the installation software on the computer before you attach the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows to the computer.

To install the software, follow these steps: 1. Open the software that you downloaded from the Microsoft Windows gaming Web site or insert the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows installation disc in the CD or DVD drive of the computer. If the Setup screen does not appear automatically, follow these steps:• Click Start, click Run, type the following command, and then click OK:
drive_letter:setup
For example, if the CD or DVD drive is drive E, type e:setup, and then click OK.

2. On the Setup screen, click Install.
3. Follow the Setup Wizard instructions to complete the installation.
Note You may be prompted to restart the computer.

I think that's what you were missing.

Edit: Woops, that might only be if you have the cd. Try c:/thisiswherethefileis.exe:setup anyway, might work.

Beaulieu

thanks that was fast, but when I try to install the software I get this message : "Setup cannot continue because one or more of the required installation files are missing or damaged. Run Setup again rom the software CD-ROM or another reliable installation source."

Edit : silly me I was downloading the version for windowsXp64 when I have the regular windows xp on a 64bit comp.

Thanks man it worked !

that "common controller driver" thing that you downloaded won't work...I have no idea what they're for.

There's an other set of drivers here though that should work fine (and also support all the new 360 peripherals)

I need help!!

Same here put I have Windows 7, when I plugged the Xbox 360 Controller via Charge Kit USB windows says, Xbox 360 controller Ready to use !

BUT
it doesn't work at all !!

And then I googled it and end up downloading the Driver from Microsoft Hardware website!!

after downloading it and set it up.. I was smiling I thought it will work.. but still it doesn't work.

Start > All programs > Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories > Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories
status > Click > A home button picture show up on the middle of the screen.. but I does only NOTHING !

Now I'm giving up on it, I better buy a PC gaming controller maybe.. I think I better ask around here since NewGAF geeks always bring the best help :|

Ecrofirt

Painkiller Q8 said:
I need help!!

Same here put I have Windows 7, when I plugged the Xbox 360 Controller via Charge Kit USB windows says, Xbox 360 controller Ready to use !

BUT
it doesn't work at all !!

And then I googled it and end up downloading the Driver from Microsoft Hardware website!!

after downloading it and set it up.. I was smiling I thought it will work.. but still it doesn't work.

Now I'm giving up on it, I better buy a PC gaming controller maybe.. I think I better ask around here since NewGAF geeks always bring the best help :|

Wireless controllers don't work via the play & charge kit, unfortunately.

Microsoft makes a wireless receiver for the wireless controllers that will allow it to connect to your computer.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...sa=X&ei=94q5TbzMNJLegQemoqxc&ved=0CFgQ8wIwAA#

Ouch!! really?? so why the Windows 7 says (READY TO USE) ? LOL

anyway thanks a lot for the quick answer.. not I'm going to buy a real PC gaming controller any recommended one?

plus I have a PS3 controller, do you think it will work? or NO end of story ?

Ecrofirt

Painkiller Q8 said:

anyway thanks a lot for the quick answer.. not I'm going to buy a real PC gaming controller any recommended one?

You can always get the adapter listed above for the 360 controller. A lot of PC games recognize the 360 controller and are pre-configured for it.

With regards to the PS3 controller, I've heard that it's nightmarish to get it all set up and working properly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ecrofirt said:
You can always get the adapter listed above for the 360 controller. A lot of PC games recognize the 360 controller and are pre-configured for it.

With regards to the PS3 controller, I've heard that it's nightmarish to get it all set up and working properly.
I think recent software makes it easier, but I haven't tried. Usually always a small nightmare to make my Wii Controller sync with the PC for Dolphin.

The Adapter is $20, works really great.

Menelaus

Banned
Beware, most adapters that you'll find online are Chinese knockoffs. I picked one up for 15 bucks off Ebay, but you have to jump through a ton of hoops to get it working. If you unplug it or shut the PC down, you have to reconfigure it all over again.

Merovin

Painkiller Q8 said:

PS3 controller support is fairly easy now thanks to Motionjoy, basically emulates it, making the computer think it's a 360 controller.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, you are going to need to buy the Xbox 360 controller that has the wireless receiver for PC, I ran into the exact same problem some months ago.

Thinking about buying one of them new silver 360 controllers with the twisty D-Pad. I heard when the play and charge kit is plugged in, the controlled works as a wired one. Does this mean that you can plug it into the PC? My old wired controller is in a heap.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
snoopeasystreet said:
Thinking about buying one of them new silver 360 controllers with the twisty D-Pad. I heard when the play and charge kit is plugged in, the controlled works as a wired one. Does this mean that you can plug it into the PC? My old wired controller is in a heap.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

USB Charge Kit is just that, a CHARGE KIT. It only provides ENERGY to the controller.

All communication is still done through the wireless protocol. You NEED the wireless receiver. A Chinese one works fine, I have one, since my two official MS ones fried in a matter of months and they are too expensive to be disposable.

If you really are against buying a new peripheral to make your 2 existing controllers work on your PC (which, when you think about it, it's quite a good deal), you'll HAVE to buy a wired controller, which I also have and also works like a charm.

I really don't see a reason to buy a controller for PC other than either a wired 360 controller or the wireless receiver. Pretty much every game has support for it (because Microsoft makes it easier to support the 360 controller on PC). With another controller (which will cost as much as a wireless receiver OR a wired 360 pad) you'll have to manually install alternate drivers of software to emulate the 360 pad in the first place.

Sober

I heard the wired is better anyway, except they seem impossible to find and everyone charges that stupid "wired" tax. A wireless one is much cheaper but I can't find the adapter for sale anywhere and cant be arsed to deal with batteries.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Sober said:
I heard the wired is better anyway, except they seem impossible to find and everyone charges that stupid "wired" tax. A wireless one is much cheaper but I can't find the adapter for sale anywhere and cant be arsed to deal with batteries.
Wired is only better because it has no batteries.

My rechargeable batteries are dead (they only hold a charge for 3 days), so they're a hassle. I bought new ones (the long lasting ones), but I'm mainly using the wired one, since it's there.

Also, some games (namely, Assassin's Creed 1 and 2) don't support the wireless controller. They work, but all the buttons are mapped wrongly and the analog triggers don't work - it's Ubisoft's fault, they forgot to load the Drivers for the wireless receiver when they were building the game and never bothered to fix it. They even acknowledged the problem on the forums and said they would fix it, but never did.

If you want the wireless receiver, yes, it's kinda hard to find the official one. Ebay has them, for sure. However, you can buy the Chinese fake ones for 10usd from dealextreme. They even have a black version. They work wonderfully after you manually install the drivers.

Sober said:

Bizarre, over here it's the other way around.

Top Bottom