• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FB Post "White People, Here are 10 Requests From a Black Lives Matter Leader"

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Kentucky boy, it was hard not to notice this reaction in a Louisville alt-weekly to Charlottesville. Once you read it you'll be able to imagine what some of the local takes to it were, but I'd like to get GAF's take. Unfortunately this is one where you'll have to read the OP.

https://www.leoweekly.com/2017/08/white-people/

1. White people, if you don’t have any descendants, will your property to a black or brown family. Preferably one that lives in generational poverty.

2. White people, if you’re inheriting property you intend to sell upon acceptance, give it to a black or brown family. You’re bound to make that money in some other white privileged way.

3. If you are a developer or realty owner of multi-family housing, build a sustainable complex in a black or brown blighted neighborhood and let black and brown people live in it for free.

4. White people, if you can afford to downsize, give up the home you own to a black or brown family. Preferably a family from generational poverty.

5. White people, if any of the people you intend to leave your property to are racists assholes, change the will, and will your property to a black or brown family. Preferably a family from generational poverty.

6. White people, re-budget your monthly so you can donate to black funds for land purchasing.

7. White people, especially white women (because this is yaw specialty — Nosey Jenny and Meddling Kathy), get a racist fired. Yaw know what the fuck they be saying. You are complicit when you ignore them. Get your boss fired cause they racist too.

8. Backing up No. 7, this should be easy but all those sheetless Klan, Nazi’s and Other lil’ dick-white men will all be returning to work. Get they ass fired. Call the police even: they look suspicious.

9. OK, backing up No. 8, if any white person at your work, or as you enter in spaces and you overhear a white person praising the actions from yesterday, first, get a pic. Get their name and more info. Hell, find out where they work — Get Them Fired. But certainly address them, and, if you need to, you got hands: use them.

10. Commit to two things: Fighting white supremacy where and how you can (this doesn’t mean taking up knitting, unless you’re making scarves for black and brown kids in need), and funding black and brown people and their work.

As another Kentucky resident, it is depressing but unsurprising to see our local right wingers jump all over this as confirmation of every negative belief they hold about Black Lives Matter. It would be nice if the right could engage with the strongest arguments of BLM rather than ignoring them, and elevating the weakest ones.

As another Kentucky resident, it is depressing but unsurprising to see our local right wingers jump all over this as confirmation of every negative belief they hold about Black Lives Matter. It would be nice if the right could engage with the strongest arguments of BLM rather than ignoring them, and elevating the weakest ones.

Yep, lot of people here have taken this to confirm their worst biases, which is unfortunate.

1-6

xByII.jpg

This person is taking about rich people. The number of people they're making these requests to are ridiculously small.

7,8,9, and 10 are the only feasible things white people as a generalization are able to do.

Yeah, most of it would make more sense with "rich people, be more supportive of poor people", that's not really a matter of race..

The issue with racists is that thu generally don't interact with or know any people of color. Enough so that they are able to subscribe to stereotypes without reality and experience stepping in.

At some point in time the author of this piece came under the idea that there are no poor white folk and I wonder if they have any experience to show them different.

How are inheritance tax in the US?

In most country, not direct inheritance is like super heavily taxed.
In Belgium it's 60-70%
I am not sure it's that interesting for the family on the receiving ends if they have to take loan and mortgage the house to accept the good.

Lunar15

This is absolutely being used as fuel for the right, that's for sure.

7. White people, especially white women (because this is yaw specialty — Nosey Jenny and Meddling Kathy)

Really?

The sad thing is that there's a massive case to make about property ownership being one of the major problems for social equality, but it's just not really well outlined here. And, of course, as with all "minority issues", one voice will inexplicably speak for "the rest", which isn't fun.

Cimarron

A bit crude but it makes sense. Property ownership is HUGE when it comes to social equality. This hits home for me. My family is fighting over my fathers home. He died without a will and one of my half siblings is trying to force the house to be sold. I could step in and save the house. Both for my families sake and to prevent yet another home in the hood from being gentrified. But I don't want the burden of taking care of the house and family members since it will cripple my life. It sucks because I feel strongly about home ownership and family.

Edit:

Come on folks. 1-6 is obviously aimed at the wealthy. Geesh! *rolleyes*

So basically, give us all your stuff for free and....

8. Backing up No. 7, this should be easy but all those sheetless Klan, Nazi's and Other lil' dick-white men will all be returning to work. Get they ass fired. Call the police even: they look suspicious.

Seriously, is this a parody?

As a Kentucky boy, it was hard not to notice this reaction in a Louisville alt-weekly to Charlottesville. Once you read it you'll be able to imagine what some of the local takes to it were, but I'd like to get GAF's take. Unfortunately this is one where you'll have to read the OP.

https://www.leoweekly.com/2017/08/white-people/

See, as a white man who fully supports BLM, I got to #2 on this list and immediately felt defensive.

If you're making requests for people to share their resources for the betterment of your community and our society as a whole, it greatly behooves you to not come off as a massive douche when doing so.

Yeah, same here. It's a major victory for me to have $50 at the end of the month to put into savings. I don't have shit.

This too. Your average white person is way more privileged than your average black person, but they both feel like they're being exploited by the rich anyway.

Like trump. When your organization makes outlandish claims and requests it lets your opponents critique your whole movement.

The government should have policies that help minorities gain land and wealth in majorly white areas.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
She put her Paypal address and Venmo ID at the end of the article for people to send money to her? lol

This feels fake as fuck. I'm not surprised this got elevated to a right wing news outlet because all of the reasonable and real (!!!) request are too civilized and sensible to get angry about.

The issue with racists is that thu generally don't interact with or know any people of color. Enough so that they are able to subscribe to stereotypes without reality and experience stepping in.

At some point in time the author of this piece came under the idea that there are no poor white folk and I wonder if they have any experience to show them different.
Impossible to live in Kentucky and not know poor white people

Black people, not all white people are rich. I've hardly got a pot to piss in.

You obviously haven't cashed in on your white privilege account, or whatever she's trying to say in Point #2.

For being a BLM leader, she sure seems like she wants to see it crash and burn. No sane person would ever look at this and agree with her.

Hopefully she gets drowned out by the other, less idiotic 'BLM leaders', but this article will certainly damage the movement in some peoples' eyes.

So this came from the actual BLM organizer from Louisville? It's hard to tell if she's being serious or not. Either way, this won't go over well and it will be used by racists to cling to the notion this is what a good portion of black people want.

Although they will cling to anything anyway to justify being racist.

Plum

The alt-right is going to love this article. It's pre-made propoganda to paint RLM in its entirety as just wanting to take your rightfully earned stuff. Not a good move at all no matter what the author believes.

Lunar15

This thing is tailor made to have all the biggest "triggers" for the right: colloquial misspellings and slang, case centers around blunt asks for charity, makes note of profiling white people who look suspicious.

This was made by the BLM leader?

ho boy

if they cant get proper representation.... they are in for a rough ride

I feel like this only weakens the most important messages that BLM stands for

Edit: From "a" not "the". Got it

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's real people. There is even a snopes article on it. This list was first published on her facebook page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom