• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 over LAN has built-in voice chat

PetrCobra

Searched but didn't find anything.

So this isn't about normal local wireless play, it's the one where you are all connected to the same router and you press a button combination (I think it's L+R+Left stick). It then uses the router in a LAN configuration. This is much more stable than just wirelessly interconnected Switches.

Which is why we did it last week for our Splatoon game in a pub. One of us had a microphone on his headphones, and the second we switched into the LAN lobby we heard what he was saying VERY LOUDLY in our speakers. Was quite a shock really.

This means they implemented seamless voice chat, no app required, but allowed using it only for LAN play (not even normal local wireless, WTF?) which, frankly, is probably the least useful scenario for voice chat, since you're probably all in the same room anyway.

Lock if old etc.

EDIT:

Hopefully someone is going to double check and maybe even properly test this before I get to try it again. If you are, here are some tips for going to the LAN lobby:

- go to the local multiplayer lobby (The Shoal)
- press and HOLD the combination of buttons: L + R + Left Stick for a few seconds, until the game fades out of the lobby. It then fades back in to the same lobby but in LAN setup
- obviously, you all need to be in the same local network, which means all of you connected to the same router (WiFi hotspot)

Also:

So this isn't about normal local wireless play, it's the one where you are all connected to the same router and you press a button combination (I think it's L+R+Left stick). It then uses the router in a LAN configuration. This is much more stable than just wirelessly interconnected Switches.

Which is why we did it last week for our Splatoon game in a pub. One of us had a microphone on his headphones, and the second we switched into the LAN lobby we heard what he was saying VERY LOUDLY in our speakers. Was quite a shock really.

This means they implemented seamless voice chat, no app required, but allowed using it only for LAN play (not even normal local wireless, WTF?) which, frankly, is probably the least useful scenario for voice chat, since you're probably all in the same room anyway.

Lock if old etc.
But the switch isn't powerful enough, Nintendo had no choice but to use smartphones. Ridiculous shit really.

tbm24

I've done LANs with headsets and voice chat before, other team was in the opposite side of the room. Beats shouting over multiple TV's AND yelling. So guess it existing makes sense, what doesn't make sense is Nintendo's online solution. Nintendo likes to make online as convoluted as they can for whatever reason. Can only assume they get a kick out of it.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, it was obvious that their twisted design scheme for voice chat was intentionally constructed that way. Interesting that it is implemented properly in LAN mode. They won't be adding this to the rest of the game in the future. We're talking about Nintendo here

Giga Man

Surprised I never saw anyone bring this up before even outside of GAF. I didn't know about it either, of course.

Maybe this specific use of voice chat is for Splatoon 2's eventual e-sports scene. :V

tsab

You unlocked Pandora's Box, OP

The nintendo ninjas are coming

also WHY they hide Lan play with L+R+LS I dont know

Datschge

That's good motivation to type in WLAN passwords wherever possible and just use WLAN instead online or even local wireless.

jacobeid

Banned
Wow if true. Splatoon has enough bizarre design decisions that I ended up just stop playing it. I think most of my friends have given up too :/ bummer

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Lock if old etc.
This is for competitive/esports, not for party games -- headphone and mic is the only option for team chat at tournaments.

[ed] beaten like a washed ashore jellyfish.

PetrCobra

We need a double check on this.

Yeah, we didn't really properly test it so I'm hoping someone's going to do it now. Took me a while to even post this thread. We didn't all have headsets so we just laughed it off and carried on with our game.

But then I figured it's quite interesting to properly check out. And that I've never seen it reported anywhere else.

Thraktor

I'm sure this is to accommodate tournament play (which is what LAN mode was created for). You need a reliable voice chat system for these events, and WiFi/cellular coverage can be pretty hit or miss at any large gathering of people, so a simple local voice chat system makes a lot more sense.

I'm also pretty surprised that so many people are amazed that Nintendo have implemented this. As far as I'm aware they've never claimed any technical difficulty in providing voice chat directly on Switch, they just think that doing it through your smartphone is better for some bizarre reason.

rudger

Well I hope this puts to rest the notion that they are too incompetent to even make this feature...bright side? ...Anyone?

PetrCobra

That's good motivation to type in WLAN passwords wherever possible and just use WLAN instead online or even local wireless.

With the local wireless being unstable as it is on Switch, it's always advisable to use LAN instead even without voice chat tbh.

SigSig

I wouldn't be surprised if they ran into early performance issues and enable this kind of voicechat later on for online play.

big_z

w1jNp6P.jpg

...This isn't the same case in ARMS or MK8D, right? Unlikely since those titles don't even have support from the app, but does anyone wanna give it a shot?

PetrCobra

...This isn't the same case in ARMS or MK8D, right? Unlikely since those titles don't even have support from the app, but does anyone wanna give it a shot?

We also played MK8D over LAN and didn't notice any voice chat, so no, probably just Splatoon-specific.

Could you provide video evidence OP? This is quite a big find.

I guess we could film the next session on Thursday but by then, someone else will probably have done it already.

What if we are only using 10% of the real power of our switches?

What if it's even more powerful than any system before or after it?

I think this OP may have only begun to find out how to unlock its true power.

giphy.gif

Anteo

lmao

I bet the splatoon team implemeted the voice chat for all modes and then Nintendo higher ups told them to use the app instead.

Clessidor

Wouldn't surprise me if true. Still kinda sag how Nintendo deals with the voice chat. Making an app for Switch multiplayer isn't even such a bad thing. It's the execution and the fact it is mandatory for voice chat that makes it bad.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wouldn't be surprised if they ran into early performance issues and enable this kind of voicechat later on for online play.

The Switch's SoC has an audio block for processing audio, specifically with support for VoIP codecs, if I remember correctly. There is no obvious reason to assume that voice chat would have been a performance issue for them. Especially when they in addition have an entire CPU core to deal with the other aspects like networking.

Top Bottom