• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamala Harris to Co-Sponsor Single Payer Healthcare

Joe T.

California Senator Kamala Harris (D) announced during a town hall on Wednesday that she would support Sen. Bernie Sanders's (I-Vt.) "Medicare for All" bill, which would institute a single-payer health insurance system.

"I intend to co-sponsor the 'Medicare for All' bill because it’s just the right thing to do," Harris announced Wednesday at a town hall in Oakland.

"It's not just about what is morally and ethically right, it also makes sense just from a fiscal standpoint," she said.

The decision to co-sponsor Sanders's bill is Harris's first instance of publicly supporting single-payer.

More here: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/348651-kamala-harris-announces-she-will-co-sponsor-single-payer-health-insurance

Hope to see more Dems pledge support for the bill now that Harris is on board.

Foffy

Banned
The Dems need to have a vision to oppose the GOP beyond being an opposition block.

This is perfect to get behind for a vision that represents the people.

Don't fuck this up, guys. :(

jtb

Banned
Good for her, and good for the party. Very few holdouts left in the party, and the failure of the Obamacare repeal has given Democrats a huge opportunity here.

I imagine "Medicare for All" will eventually be watered down to the Public Option (spoiler: it already kinda has), but even that would be an incredible step forward for our health system.

Dierce

I think Kamala would be a great president and also can't wait to see the face of all orange turd supporters who not only have to contend with another minority president but also one that is a woman.

Hopefully by then their orange leader will be rotting in prison.

Fantastic. This is absolutely the next step.

She still has a lot to answer for in her past career, but that doesn’t mean this isn’t great.

Also pressure works on shaping party ideology.

KingK

Good for her. She's been one of my favorites for 2020 for a while now.

I look forward to usual suspects (not necessarily on GAF) claiming she isn't ideologically pure and that she is just pandering
Eh, I'm sure there'll be some, but in my experience, most people on the left who didn't really like Hillary are pretty positive and optimistic about Harris so far. Myself included.

Measley

Good! I also hope that liberals in congress fight back against conservative scaremongering that always happens when medicare for all is proposed.

Good! I also hope that liberals in congress fight back against conservative scaremongering that always happens when medicare for all is proposed.

The issue isn't even the Right because we already know where they stand, it's the "moderates" and "centrists" who also want to kill anything that opposes a neoliberal ideology the moment it's even suggested.

Ponn

Banned
Run on a platform concentrating on Single Payer Healthcare and legalizing Marijuana. After 4 years of Trump all people are going to care about short term is coping and recovering.

whats the difference between single payer healthcare and universal healthcare?

Single payer actually refers to it being one single body that pays for the healthcare. Its universal healthcare as in all our taxes go to a fund to pay for everything.

Im actually still not fully sure how Obamacare changed the structure but our system now is where healthcare is paid from a mix of public and private bodys. I think Obamacare added a basic fund that everyone could use?

Run on a platform concentrating on Single Payer Healthcare and legalizing Marijuana. After 4 years of Trump all people are going to care about short term is coping and recovering.

I hate to break it to you, but Marijuana isn't really an issue that sways voters

I look forward to usual suspects (not necessarily on GAF) claiming she isn't ideologically pure and that she is just pandering

I look forward to those opposed to Bernie's healtchcare plan to 180 and support Harris in full.

Genius. Forward-thinking. Humane.

Bernie?

Moronic. Pipe-dream. Not fiscally possible.

Ponn

Banned
I hate to break it to you, but Marijuana isn't really an issue that sways voters

I disagree, its certainly became a big issue in many states including my own. It sways a few to vote Libertarian when it really should be part of the liberal platform as well.

Saw it on FB! Glad to see this, and senators should be rallying behind these popular messages. Thanks Bernie for putting these propositions up, and Kamala for following through. Hopefully it wasn't just a calculated position, and something she actually believes.

Kevinroc

I think this is a good issue to excite the base. So even though it won't go anywhere currently, it can in the future.

It needs to be fleshed out to the point that online calculators can be offered. Show the savings from clamping down on costs and be able to put in how much you pay in premiums, how much your employer contributes, and how much you currently pay in taxes. Hopefully any new plan would show that any added taxes are less than what people and their employer are paying now.

I look forward to those opposed to Bernie's healtchcare plan to 180 and support Harris in full.

Genius. Forward-thinking. Humane.

Bernie?

Moronic. Pipe-dream. Not fiscally possible.

Hey, if you ever want to see your unrealized ideas become realized, you've gotta learn to welcome in people who used to oppose you. It's either that or wait for them all to die.

Hey, if you ever want to see your unrealized ideas become realized, you've gotta learn to welcome in people who used to oppose you. It's either that or wait for them all to die.

This never works because the people who oppose you will raise children who also grow up to oppose you. "Waiting for them all to die" is a strategy which guarantees them victory, not you.

Eh, I'm sure there'll be some, but in my experience, most people on the left who didn't really like Hillary are pretty positive and optimistic about Harris so far. Myself included.

I hope thats the case.

Hopefully Harris plays her cards right over the next few years and builds a strong coalition.

This isn't Bernie's 2016 healthcare plan. It's completely different.

Yep, Its something thats much easier to get behind. Good on Bernie for attempting to make this something that can get more than just his base to rally around.

80 20 loss in CO. CA senate is not even voting on it. They have no idea what the real cost of this thing is. They have a president who will veto and a current house and congress that won't pass on it in the miracle that they do vote on it and the bill doesn't die on committee.

Needs to be federal for it to not be a huge money sink. Costs have to be mandated by law, and employers will have to either be forced to give employees the current subsidies in cash, or collect it as tax, not just pocket the savings of shedding the burden of supplementing heath insurance as a benefit.

Top Bottom